“My Favorite Spot in Paris”

Basilica du Sacre-Coeur de Montmartre
Ranked #10 of 1,131 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This Montmartre landmark, a 19th-century basilica built by the French government following the Franco-Prussian War, features a large medieval dome that provides excellent views of the city.
Charleston, South Carolina
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“My Favorite Spot in Paris”
Reviewed 30 May 2012

This is the ultimate destination for a visit to Paris. Yeah, I know the Eiffel Tower, Louvre and Notre Dame are the biggies but it is an exillarating feel to see Paris after the walk of the hill to Sacre Coeur. The church is also very special. I have never seen a dome with the mosaic scenes like the one at Sacre Coeur. Quite amazing actually. Also, you can easily side step the bracelet weavers who are nothing more than con artists. Just say "non!" and keep on walking. No problems. I also enjoyed Le Chen's Cafe around the corner. They served us the best lunch we had in Paris! Don't forget the souvenirs. This is the best place to get them!

1 Thank catlee54171
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful Spot”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

From here you can see the whole city...and with street entertainers everywhere it makes for an enjoyable afternoon

Visited April 2012
Orange County, California
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“walked it all!”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

take your time. hydrate. enjoy the view and forget u r a touriste!

Los Angeles, California
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Worth going if you stay or happen to be near the area”
Reviewed 29 May 2012 via mobile

I was a bit concerned after reading reviews about scammers near the area. I am a solo female traveler and after a few locals assured me I decided to go. I am glad I made the trip there. This place is a bit out of my way. Follow the sign after getting off metro station and you will see the funicular. Before I could even reach the ticket station, there were a few men of African descent lining up across the station. They did it such that you can't really get to the funicular ticket booth without going between any two of them. I also saw two tourists actually stopped and the men were doing their 'string' trick. My advice is... Don't stop don't make any eye contact and just keep walking. A man approached me and was yelling 'hello' 'excuse me' even I was trying to walk as far away from them as possible. Don't look at your map/iPhone/iPad/camera while you are at the bottom of the hill - just go! There were also men trying to 'help' you buy tickets at the funicular. What a shame that no one is there to monitor for a popular tourist spot like this. Anyways, back to the church, I was there at around noon and there happened to be a mass. What a great moment to be in. I didn't understand any French nor was I religious but the singing and the atmosphere was surreal. Admission is free.

1 Thank wfelicity
Rufford, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Freeview”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

What it says on the label. Climb the steps, turn at the top and see the magnificence of Paris below.

Entry the the Basillica is free.

I am not one foor churches, but go and see it.