Ways to Experience Montmartre
from US$ 98.10
from US$ 115.80
from US$ 109.70
17,506 results
All reviews moulin rouge artists painting street artists local artists cobbled streets souvenir shops beautiful area walk around walking tour van gogh crepes visiting paris eiffel tower tourists neighborhood church caricature
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We walked through this area a bit when we visited Sacre Coeur and it's a very charming area. It looks like they've preserved a lot of the old streets and buildings. It's super touristy in parts, but if you're visiting Paris, that's what you are so just enjoy it for what it is. Just be careful that because there are a lot of tourists and vendors milling around, there could also be pick-pockets.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My dear husband and I are currently in Paris, the fifth day into our first trip to this city. And while our overall impression of Paris is mixed, by far Montmartre must be near first place for "the worst," as I shockingly found it to be a vile, dirty, disgusting and disgraceful ghetto. Anyone believing Montmartre possesses an iota of charm or bohemian spirit must return home and immediately have their head examined by a skilled licensed psychiatrist.

The Sacre Coeur is beautiful, tranquil and a truly reverent place. I loved the church, more so than Notre Dame. However with that said, every spot we saw beyond Sacre Coeur was overrun with aggressive Africans, rude Middle Easterners, scam artists, trashy textiles, yucky Parisian souvenirs, drunks, gypsies, overly crowded restaurants, homeless folks, cigarette butts, the self-possessed vying for selfies while holding cellphone sticks, human urine stains, some feces & a plethora of vile odors.

My husband and I are extremely seasoned travelers and long-standing New York City folk. And admittedly, I did not do enough research about the area to be forewarned. But I knew what was happening as my husband and I ascended the steps to enter Sacre Coeur and a group of nasty female gypsies, proclaiming to be poor & deaf, immediately circled & accosted us, demanding we sign a petition committing us to monetarily help them and their kindred with some sort of deaf cause.

Overwhelming me with nasty fake "air kisses" upon signing their "petition," the love-fest quickly ended, the mood soured and our pathway was aggressively blocked when I refused to hand over my promised euro amount to the poor deaf gypsies and their "cause," recognizing I was being scammed or worse yet, set up to be pick-pocketed.

Totally disgusted, I forked over 5 Euro and proceeded to walk away just to get beyond these human beings. Upon walking away and proceeding towards the church, I witnessed a "deaf, air-kiss blowing" gypsy become extremely aggressive with my husband when he refused to fork over his monetary donation to help this sad, deaf cause.

So, I aggressively move in and told the "poor deaf gypsy," obviously a scammer that "my husband had no cash on him and was not going to give her a single dime." I told the deaf gal to "get out of my husband's/our way, or I was going to seriously hurt her...do some true harm to her person." I waved off the poor deaf one, grabbed my husband's arm and proceeded to walk towards Sacre Coeur.

Well the gal must read lips because with the most distasteful looking face I've yet seen, the poor excuse for human life moved out of our way and allowed us to proceed towards the church, muttering about us and cursing under her breath. The "circle of helpless ones" that had formed around us broke and my husband and I continued our climb towards Sacre Coeur...ugh.

Simply, Montmartre is a dirty, trashy, disgusting ghetto loaded with immigrants, beggars, thieves and refugees. The view of Paris from the stairs of Sacre Coeur is underwhelming; however Sacre Coeur itself caused my eyes to leak...truly special.

Leaving the area, I felt saddened thinking about what a vibrant, charming and delightful area Montmartre once was. I couldn't comprehend how a glorious and reverent place, an important part of Parisian history could be ignored and allowed to spiral into such decline.

Couldn't wait to hop the Metro and leave. Hated everything about this area. Montmartre is nasty and depressing...it's a horrifying, detestable, vile, sad and disturbing place.

7  Thank Maps808811
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Cosy and nice area to walk around in. Great view from the top over Paris and the Eiffel Tower. Recommended!

Reviewed 5 April 2018

For me this was one of the highlights of our trip...there is nothing like a walking tour to immerse yourself in Paris charms

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

...especially when the weather is good. Panaromic view of the city. Lots of tourists. Beautiful cathedral