Hotel de l'Abbaye Saint-Germain
  • Room Service
US$ 589
US$ 542
  • Fitness centre
All reviewsleft bankrue cassettequiet streetcharming hotelgarden roomluxembourg gardenssaint germaincroissantslovely courtyardclassic roomcontinental breakfasthome away from homethe ground floorfavorite hoteldinner reservationscommon areasside street
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I seldom take the time to write reviews, but this hotel is so deserving of praise (I also feel compelled to let other travelers in on what's an all-around perfect spot). I've been to Paris nearly a dozen times now. Hotel de l'Abbaye is the best place to stay in the city. FOR THE PRICE (can't underscore this enough), I haven't found a better synthesis of prime location, beautifully-appointed rooms, impeccable service (at all hours too, i.e., even when stumbling in from one of the left bank bars in the early AM hours)... The staff - every member, from the reception desk to the breakfast room staff (and btw, breakfast in their open-air courtyard - totally charming) to general hotel personnel - is pleasant and truly there to accommodate. You can ask them for restaurant suggestions (they'll also make the reservations for you) or for tea at 10pm. One note about the location of this hotel: I highly recommend staying in this area of Paris - left bank/Saint Germain. In my opinion, this is where you can come closest to experiencing a taste of authentic Parisian life. But it also works for tourists because it's close to St. Michel, the Latin Quarter, Ile de la Cite (where Notre Dame and Sainte-Chapelle are), the Louvre/right bank - and if you insist, the Champs-Elysees area. If you stay at Hotel de l'Abbaye - take advantage of the breakfast that's included. Not only is it included (!!), but there's definitely a special joy in drinking coffee and eating croissants in the lovely courtyard of an old building, with decor that's at once lavish and comforting, sunlight streaming in.. a good way to start a day of sightseeing or wandering.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank ChrisGiliberti
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The Hotel de l’Abbaye is a hidden gem. On a side street in St. Germain it offers elegance at affordable prices. A central garden makes the entry floor extremely pleasant—the small bar area looks out onto this wonderful greenery in the heart of Paris—secluded and seductively cool on a warm day.

Our room was on the top floor; small, cozy and compact and, for us, perfect. The elevator was tiny--it is obvious you're in a historic French hotel and not in a Hilton--and our bags came up separately (yes, the elevator is that small--we are not THAT large!) The room was well appointed and extremely comfortable. Looking out the window we had a bird’s eye view of the left bank rooftops. If one needs a large sleeping space, our room was not the one you'd choose, but perhaps there are other larger rooms in the hotel. For us, the location and the price far outweighed the need for any additional floor space. And it was extremely quiet during our too-short stay.

Since we prefer the historic feel of the left bank and the bistros and markets located in this district, we find the location of Hotel de l'Abbaye to be ideal. It is short walking distance from many attractions and wonderful shops--as well as a short walk to several different Metro lines that whisk you about Paris. There is more of a "neighborhood feel" to this hotel than most we have stayed at in Paris; in general we find the left bank area to be more appealing to our wants and needs for a "French experience" in Paris.

We cannot praise highly enough the service of the concierge and all the front desk personnel. We were trying to track down a bathroom cabinet we had seen previously during our trip but were unable to purchase since the store had been closed. At the front desk we engaged our concierge in “The Great Bain Douche Project”, as we had named this pursuit of a small wooden cabinet with a frosted glass front with French lettering that we wanted to bring to our home near Boston. Our concierge was thorough and persistent and was able to determine the cabinet was in stock, was affordable, and that the store would package it for air travel with us. After successfully concluding the transaction, the concierge stored the cabinet for us until our departure. Then, following our return home, the hotel provided service "above and beyond the call of duty" to assist us in some follow-up items; overcoming many obstacles along the way and persevering until we achieved our goal. We have had many helpful concierges at many hotels, but none that approached the total dedication to service and client satisfaction as the staff at Hotel de l'Abbaye.

We look forward to our return to this hotel if we are lucky enough to continue to have trips to Paris.

3  Thank SailorToo
Reviewed 9 July 2012

After reading the TripAdvisor reviews of the Hotel de l'Abbaye, I expected this hotel to be just the kind of place we love, an oasis in the city. However, what we encountered was quite different. Though pretty and quiet, with a lovely central courtyard, our accommodations were not as requested. I had requested and confirmed one room with twin beds for my adult son and daughter who were traveling together with me. The room they received was a tiny room with a tiny double bed, which was unsuitable for them, so that my son ended up sleeping on the too-small couch in my expensive suite. Though we requested a change, the hotel was full and no other options were available, not even a cot.

But the more serious complaint we had was about the unfriendliness of the reception desk. They at times could not provide basic information to us. (E.g. we asked for a local bar with TV where we could watch the final game of the EuroCup and were given no suggestions other than a bar down the road to which they could give no name or directions). They corrected our French at times (including that of my daughter who speaks fluently), and not in the friendly manner of the French who love their language and want to hear it spoken well. At one point it seemed that the reception desk attendant feigned a misunderstanding of the name of the restaurant for which I was searching, though I also speak moderately decent French.
At times we felt the reception was mildly hostile.

We are generally a friendly and courteous family, and have traveled to Paris a number of times, and we have never encountered something similar.

Perhaps the hotel has changed hands since the earlier reviews. I am not sure. The hotel is a pretty one with a pleasant central courtyard and a nice wait staff for breakfast. It was quiet and had good air-conditioning. So this hotel has the potential to be a very nice one.

But the staff at reception needs to feel like your ally rather than your adversary in a foreign city, and that was not our experience. As we left on the last day, we needed a taxi to the rail station, which I had asked them about the night before. But when we reminded them that morning, we were told that it could take 45 minutes to arrange a cab at that hour. We fended for ourselves and found a taxi that got us there in a timely manner. This certainly wasn't the kind of service or courtesy we would have expected at such an expensive hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
22  Thank mVivace
Reviewed 25 June 2012

This was my second stay at this hotel and I found it much improved, since my last visit in 2008. The staff were unfailingly polite and friendly and the breakfast service was fast and excellent.

We had the least expensive category of room, which was quite small (the norm with Paris hotels), but nicely furnished and decorated. It was amazingly quiet, given its location - our room overlooked the pretty garden at the back.

The hotel is very close to St Sulpice metro station, which is conveniently on line 4, the same as the Gare Du Nord.

1  Thank JackRussellLondon
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The most striking impression of our stay here was the sheer professionalism of the staff: they did everything right. Our main contact on the front desk was M. Benjamin Nova. He learned our name when we arrived and used it throughout. When we complained on a Sunday of a fairly minor fault with our bath - you could not run the water just through the tap/faucet, some of it always came through the handheld shower head no matter what you did, he had the situation examined immediately and fixed (by replacing the entire mechanism) the next morning. I am sure that most places would be fobbing you off until you left. When we mentioned that it was our 45th wedding anniversary, Champagne and snacks magically appeared in our room, When we asked for advice, he gave it in detail. When I felt like speaking my version of French, he would answer in French; when I collapsed into English, he would respond in perfect English. The rest of the staff seemed to be equally well-trained. When we suggested that we might want to change rooms (for reasons hinted at below), he made a serious effort to accommodate our request even though (1) the hotel was full and (2) our room was on a unique rate, being the only 'Superior Classic' room in the entire hotel. We ended up staying where we were; but he could not have been more helpful.

The hotel is indeed well situated for public transport and left-bank shopping and dining, although a bit farther from the river than we would have preferred. It was very quiet. Our room (number 38) was apparently unique: slightly larger (especially the bathroom, which had both bath and separate shower) than the Classic rooms (which are famously small) and with a slightly inflated price to match. It was immaculately decorated to within an inch of its life: with dark red patterned material on the walls, curtains, furniture and every other available surface other than the ceiling. Other rooms that we passed seemed to be more modern in decor. Its windows opened on to what was pretty much an airshaft, which would help to explain its absolute silence. I am not sure it would suit all tastes.

The hotel has a genuine logistical problem with breakfast and has taken interesting steps to deal with it. The public rooms (and the garden) are indeed lovely. but are not really extensive enough to accommodate everyone for breakfast (and would have even more of a problem if the hotel provided the kind of buffet with meat and cheese and cereal and the like that is becoming more common wherever you go). Their solution is to provide a standard breakfast of various breads with butter and jam and freshly squeezed orange juice and the full range of hot drinks. This make it very easy to prepare and serve not only in the public areas but also in the rooms, so that people who come downstairs and find it fully occupied can have the meal sent up to their room. There is a useful range of extras (like cooked eggs or cereal or fruit that you can order from an a la carte menu if you so choose). The extra expense and bother of ordering from the menu presumably limits the demand to a manageable level. They also seem to use some of the same staff for delivering breakfast and cleaning rooms and make breakfast available until noon, which must also help with spreading the load. I don't see how they could do much better within the constraints.

My reservation is with the price. The hotel cannot be faulted for the service; but for that kind of money I would have wanted a bit more room in my room.

6  Thank Tom10