“Absolutely worth going for chocolat chaud!”

La Chocolaterie de Jacques Genin
Ranked #36 of 333 Dessert in Paris
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Le Marais
Reviewed 13 April 2018

Beautiful shop with excellent chocolates nicely displayed. Best chocolat chaud. Huge portion served nicely with water on the side.

1  Thank vrancken2015

Reviewed 4 April 2018

I went there to get a present for an old friend. It was a bit a panic, as I was from London, where most of the brand are also be abled to find. Their assorted chocolate box is so amazing. You can pick the pieces, with some great packaging, which is ideal for presents. The shop assistant is friendly and helpful. She helped me with the packaging and gave my advices to pack for a more attractive box.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

We came upon this fabulous store quite by accident while while home from a nearby restaurant. The building intrigued me and we decided to go in. WOW... it's laid out like a very very upscale boutique. All of the candy is in glass showcases, displayed like fine jewelry.

We were immediately acknowledged and told that someone would be with us in a few minutes. Our personal sales associate asked what we were looking for and proceeded to show us the showcases, explaining the contents.

Yes, it is expensive, but I dare you to resist making a purchase! We only bought a few pieces of several candies, about 9 or 10 euros worth, yet were treated like valued customers. Our small purchase was put in a neatly tied cellophane bag and then into a beautiful little shopping bag.

The candy itself was well worth the premium price... nougat, caramels and a few pieces of chocolate. I know that I have talked about the store itself more than the candy. Both of them came together to make this a nice experience with the candy as an extra special bonus.

My husband, the chocoholic, has put this store on the top of his list when we return to Paris.

1  Thank Canthespam
Reviewed 1 March 2018

If Adam Wayda says it'll be mind-blowing, just ... trust him. The dude ate at every patisserie in Paris. (Which, by the way, it seems locals never do. I can't tell you how many locals commented on my desserts saying, "Oh, I wish I could eat that stuff -- I'd get fat, haven't had anything like that since I was a kid!" Then again, it worked for them ... 85 years old and still getting around independently by subway.)

Anyway, he's right about Jacques Genin.

Some of the more "treat"-like things like chocolate-dipped whatnots I wouldn't go back for (got a sampler bag of everything).

But those little chocolate truffles ... you could taste the earthy "leaf" flavor of the "mint leaf" chocolates. They warned me not to take more than 2 weeks to eat my chocolates -- NOT a problem.

And those pates de fruits -- game-changing about what one of those things is supposed to be like. I'd only had ordinary ones, and they're usually like slightly softer gummy bears, in a good way. (And, if you want a 48-pack of perfectly serviceable ones for less than $10 to take home for sharing at the office, such pates de fruits are still findable elsewhere in Paris and better than at gourmet stores in America.) But these pates de fruits at Jacques Genin ... your teeth go through them like butter. Only they're gummies. It's astounding.

If you compare it to all the "better than in America" snacks available in Paris, it could be hard to justify the price. About $1.50/truffle and I think about $2 / pate de fruit or something like that. But if you're looking for a "this level of gourmet only exists in places with economies orbiting around the lifestyles of the rich and famous" kind of experience accessible on a middle-class "blow-the-travel-fund" budget, this place is worth a visit. And makes a great souvenir for those people back home you ARE willing to spend more money on.

1  Thank Kathy_J_TA
Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

大好きなお店久しぶりに訪店。雰囲気はまるでジュエリーショップ。店員さんと会話を楽しみながら選ぶショコラは絶品!今回新発見。横のショーケースに並べられた色鮮やかなパートドフリューイーは衝撃の美味しさ! 野菜が上等な菓子に⁉️フルーツはそのまま丸ごとな感じ。流石ジャックジュナン✨
My favorite chocolatier JG. I was happy to be there again. The shop was so nice like a jewelry shop. I enjoyed talking with shop lady and chose beautiful chocolates. This time I found new taste. The pates de fruits was amazing! A new world of fruits and vegetables. I love them JG is a super artist.

1  Thank KimiKimie