“Great guides”

Ranked #9 of 184 Food & Drink in Paris
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: How will you visit Paris? With expats, or with true NATIVES? On paid tours, or on FREE, pay-what-you-want, services? Alex, Charlotte, Bertrand and Cécile are native borns of Paris. We share our city. We do not give you a standard tourist product, we treat you like a visiting friend, sharing our city's confidential venues along with our famed landmarks. Our Discover Walks tours are fun, informative and personal, so you feel part of Paris. Our group tours are free of price - you pay what you want. Private, paid tours are also available. 5 free tours to choose from. We now also offer a Night Tour. All tours are easy and comfortable, in intimate, small groups, in English, and run every day run or shine.Guests say Discover Walks are like exploring Paris in the company of a local friend.
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I can thoroughly recommend both the Notre Dame and Latin Quarter walks with this company. The guides are knowledgable and share their information in a fun and informative way. I learned more about notre dame than I had thought possible from simply walking around the outside of the building and along surrounding streets. you give what you think the tour was worth. Most goes to the guide and a portion to the company for publicity. At the end of the walk each particpant is given a 'perks' envelope. Some good info and vouchers contained within. Guides are happy to answer more general questions about Paris in addition to discussion on the walk theme. Not having to book was a plus, as you just head to the meeting point and join the group.

All reviews
in 24 reviews
"true parisian"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 19 June 2012

Easily the best thing we did in Paris. We found a leaflet for Discover Walks at our hotel, and went along for the Notre Dame tour with Phillipe. We discussed the cathedral itself, but also the area around it and a learned a few quirky gems of history. We really wanted to go on some others, but we sadly ran out of time on our trip.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Its not often you come across something for nothing...especially in Paris!!
If, at the end of the walk, you decide it was worth paying for, in the form of a tip, you pay your guide who keeps half giving the remainder to the company to cover overheads such as training and publicity etc.

There are four areas in Paris to chose from; Left Bank, Right Bank, Montmarte and and Evening River tour.

My wife and i chose the Left bank and the walk lasted just over two hours. Our guide, "Kelvi", was very knowledgable, humourous and charming.There was a lot of group participation and Kelvi made it all very personal for each of us. There were about 12 in our walk. These guided tours take place every day, rain or shine.

They are expanding to other countries too so keep an eye on "www.discoverwalks.com".
I can honestly say that this was a real highlight for me during a wonderful week in this beautiful city. I came away with much more information than when I started and will definately be using the tour again. I doubt if anyone every chooses NOT to leave a tip!!

Reviewed 17 June 2012

My wife and I enjoyed this tour with Flora on June 8 2012, who told touching stories and was informative and really showed a personal interest in doing a good job. We enjoyed a pleasant walk through the Latin quarter, including a Midnight in Paris movie location, and other historically interesting places...Jeff and Mary Jo Harlan

1  Thank Harlans
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I'm so glad I went on this tour! I learned so much about the church as well as some of the local, surrounding areas. Phillipe was very informative and friendly. You pay what you think the tour guide deserves and you don't have to book ahead of time which is nice. I also went on the Montmarte tour with Flora which was also excellent! The tour guides were very knowledgeable and spoke English which was a must for me. Learned some of the "tales" of Paris that I bet a big tour company would not provide. Discover walks tours are more personal and individualized. I would definitely recommend them to any one! But please be respectful and listen to the guide and tip them appropriately. If you just want to take pictures and not learn anything, I'd recommend just walking on your own. The tours were about 2 hours each and honestly one of the highlights of my visit to Paris!!