“Great Location, Great Value. but No Wifi, No English!”

Holiday Inn Paris - Notre Dame
Ranked #426 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I go to Paris at least twice per year for work for last 10 something years.
I usually choose local boutique hotels, design hotels or just famous 5 star hotels to stay wherever I go.
Though this is holiday inn hotel chain, I chose this hotel for the location and recently renovated modern interior.

GREAT Location, GREAT Value. It sounds too perfect until you stay there.

During the entire stay, I didn't have any problem with them except Wifi connection which is important for me. They didn't have Wifi in my room. It has to be connected through cable. I have a laptop, ipad and iphone, constantly need to communicate. You can only connect your laptop in the room.
You only have wifi in the lobby. Also you need to purchase separate wifi passwords for multiple devices.
Even late and night and in the morning, I had to come down to the lobby in my PJ to check my emails and correspond. Not a great option if I can choose.

Also try not to expect great customer service.
I am not expecting American or Asian level of customer service here. I know where I am.
But still I have found some hotels in Paris with surprisingly satisfying customer service in the past.
It’s more like lack of language skill than customer service I have to say. The reception crews were not speaking much of English, even though they have British flag on their badges indicating their language skill. So if you can speak French, you won’t have much problem I guess.

When I left the hotel, they called me a taxi to the airport. Unfortunately I left something in the taxi. I called the hotel simply to find out the taxi company number. I was transferred 3 times to talk to someone who can speak English. However still, the manager's English wasn't good enough to make proper phone conversation. ahhh...

At the end, they couldn't find the taxi phone # they called for me. So disappointing. I can't even believe it.
Did I give up? Nope. I found the number.
How? I googled it!
It was that easy! Someone who can't speak French found a taxi company phone number on Google. Thank Google seriously. Actually the taxi company was so prompt and professional with fluent English speaking customer service.

All over it was okay. But you gotta know what you are getting. That’s the reason why I am writing this review. And I read other review. Hope this is helpful to plan your travel!
Enjoy Paris!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Paris - Notre Dame, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Dear Bunnybeetheb,

Thank you for taking time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am glad you liked the location of our hotel. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the wifi connection and if our staff was not at par with your expectations.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback. We hope to have the opportunity of hosting you again should your travels bring you back to Paris.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

Great location! Very small rooms but very comfortable bed and very clean!
$$$breakfast. Cup of latte $5 euros
I did enjoy the area and it was great for restaurants and close to Metro.
No wireless in room ...for the price it should be included! Hotel front desk was very responsive to our requests. Very polite and very helpful guidance for restaurant requests.
The roof terrace has a great view!

Room Tip: Very, very small rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank KathyV8219
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I'm a bit of a hotel snob. There! I've admitted it. Usually I will avoid a Holiday Inn, Premier Inn or Travelodge, however, stayed here on a business trip and it has changed my view of these large low budget chains. It is in a wonderfully central location, has an incredible roof terrace with 360 degree views across all of Paris. The rooms are not especially spacious, but modern, comfortable and with fancy showers! Also, a good choice for breakfast and very helpful and friendly concierge.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LeilaT1979
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Although I booked a standard room three month ago by prepaid ,I still got a unacceptable disable room with emergency ring on the bed and surveillance gadgets on the wall of toilet. I have to confess that I'm terribly wrong and shouldn't find hotels by online pictures, price and location. Our room was really an abnormal room I have ever been. I deem that it's almost a room in hospital and smell really bad. Other than strange things above, the queen bed we had was too small for two. Wi-Fi was not available in my room since I couldn't find any signal by trying whole day. Even though I connected internet by wire instead of Wi-Fi, the speed of internet connection was slow ever and not able to download a single tiny photo. After we found how strange the room was ,my girlfriend cried badly in front of the desk and requested for a room change ,but the staff in the front desk relentlessly denied her and contended that the disable room with weird gadgets without internet connection is the "standard room" we should get since the hotel was fully booked ( so what?). The staff considered that we were deserved this treat since we paid less for a room in the popular holiday inn of city center with 20% discount by coupon code and early booking. Apparently, the staffs in the hotel chain doesn't care about customers' feeling as well as their discomfort or anger in front of their face. These staffs only considers that they are working in a fully-booked popular hotel with nice location. In my view, they are not here to serve you and offer you a nice experience of stays. No matter how nice the location or amenities the hotel has. We will never come back again for this special treatment and nightmare in the romantic Paris. Finally ,the cold blooded hotel would charge you 18 euros for a simple breakfast ,and 4 euros for a tiny bottle water. I realized that the hotel business is all about the money in your pocket.

Room Tip: Please never stay #07 rooms of this hotel for a special treatment
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HenrieTechy
HInotredame, Directeur général at Holiday Inn Paris - Notre Dame, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Dear Henrie Techy,

Following your comment, I would like to precise that the room you had was a standard room in accordance with your reservation. The only slight difference was that this room was equipped with devices for guests with disabilities. We have clearly understood that you didn't want to stay in this type of room despite the fact that your reservation shown that the bedroom type was not guaranteed. We cannot managed to move you in another room on the first night as we were fully booked but it has been done on the second day and for the rest of your stay.
However I would like to precise that this category of room have exactly the same level of comfort than any other room in the hotel and all our guests seemed to be satisfied with it.

Regards. Olivier Si-Tahar / GM.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Just returned to New York after a 1 week stay. Hotel was great. Staff unbelievable!!!!! Room decor fabulous. Perfect spot too stay. I am already planning my next trip. Would definitely stay again!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family