“As Usual, very good and very pleasant”
Review of Les Colock - CLOSED

Les Colock
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 70
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 April 2015

We visited Les Colock again this past November 2014. In short, as my past reviews stated, the lady, Sonja (spelling may be off), was all things there. Maitre D, waitress, cook, all in one. She is not only courteous, but helpful and skilled. You can get a reasonably-priced meal, served pleasantly, tasty and prepared fresh. Service is not "slow", but it can be moderately long, since she waits tables, cooks, greets, etc.

I have read the negative reviews here and I guess that since all of them are in French, those patrons may have arrived expecting too much.

This restaurant is not a Michelin 4-star, it is a tiny, friendly, good place to eat and, at least to our taste, serves very good food. The complaints about price may also reflect the people involved. My wife and I are (I hate to say), "tourists", and receive a yearly shock at Paris prices. We have been to Paris every year for a long time. We have gone to Taillevent several times, prior to the owner's death, as well as many similar top-starred restaurants. We now spend that type of money (one meal's worth) spread over several meals at several mid-starred restaurants, and still have money to spare.

Again, this is *not* a Michelin starred restaurant, but a very good neighborhood restaurant. Please do not expect Michelin-type results and you can enjoy a very good meal without all the pomp but with friendly service and decent food.

I am attaching front and profile photos of the entrance, since they re-painted in a new color (magenta??) since my first photos.

And, here is the vital info from their website:

RESERVATIONS :
Par téléphone au +33 1 47 34 43 58
Ou par mail via contact@lescolock.fr

HORRAIRES

Menu entée + plat + dessert : 26€

Menu midi entrée+ plat ou plat+ dessert : 15€

1  Thank vs2

Reviewed 2 November 2014

We have eaten at Les Colock over the last three years we have visited Paris and find it one of those charming small owner chef run restaurants that are harder and harder to find. Located not far from the Monparnesse station and a stones throw from Duroc metro, Les Colock is run with love by Soni---the chef, owner.

All food is made to order. As Soni does everything, you must be willing to be a little patient, However, the reward is an outstanding dinner at very reasonable prices. It is small---only can accommodate under about 20 people. There are two and three course prix fixe menus with ample but limited selections.

It you want a true Paris experience without all tourist, I highly recommend visiting Les Colock.

3  Thank m1128jm17
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We are on holiday in Paris and was looking for a place in Montparnasse for dinner. Decided on Les Colock based on tripadvisor reviews. We were glad we did. The owner and chef was extremely helpful and attentive. She translated the french menu for us line by line and made sure we understood everything she had to offer. We had the escargot and charcuterie for starters, with steak and fish for our mains. Food was simple but delicious. There is also a good selection of reasonably priced french wine by the glass. For dessert the chef made us a 'sampler' of everything she had on the menu. This is an excellent little restaurant. We might go back if there is time before the end of our holidays.

2  Thank Leong Y
Reviewed 8 November 2013

A restaurant in Paris where we have eaten during visits the past 2 years is RESTAURANT les COLOCK at 131 rue du Cherche-Midi in the 15th Arrondissement. The telephone number is 01 47 34 43 58. It is open Tuesdays through Fridays for lunch and dinner. On Saturdays, it is open for dinner only.

It is tiny with seating for possibly 20 people. The woman who is either the owner or the manager (I forgot to ask which) is unceasingly charming and helpful. She also appears to be the chef each time we have been there. Food preparation is done on order (not waiting around on a heat table) and she balances cooking with serving and helping with the menu. Ingredients have always been fresh and of high quality and prepared excellently. There is some wait during preparation, since the woman has so many tasks, but it is worth the wait. And the experience is relaxed -- you can dress casually.

We have always gone as she opens, so I do not know if it gets crowded or not, which might slow down service, but since the food is very good I simply suggest that you go at opening time. Prices are reasonably moderate, especially for Paris. There is a limited wine list and the baba au rhum dessert is generous and very good -- if, like me, you like baba au rhum. And she serves it with or without chantilly; it’s excellent either way. I did not see which credit cards she accepts, but I did use a credit card. In my opinion, you get excellent value for your money.

4  Thank vs2
Reviewed 15 October 2013

It has been 18 months since we were in Paris,and I always am hesitant to go back to little chef run restaurants as they can be so changeable. However, this little jewel only gets better. Soni only can seat about 20 people so reservations are suggested. The three course prix fixed menu at about 26 euros is a very good value in expensive Paris. However, best of all is the exceptional quality of the food and which is prepared to order. When you combine this with excellent knowledgable service, you have a combination that is hard to beat.

It is in a little out of the way part of Cherche-du-midi but well worth the effort to find---not far from the Montparnesse tower and close to the Duroc metro stop.

My only hesitation is updating this wonderful dining experience is that it will become so popular as to ruin its charm. So check this out while it is still a small wonderful gem.