“Average - and a few issues to dampen the stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau

InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau
Ranked #654 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
San Francisco, California
“Average - and a few issues to dampen the stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

It's difficult to know where to start. Paris is a nightmare for hotels as 5 stars are very pricy and 4 stars are a mixed and difficult bunch. I like boutique hotels for the lack of unnecessary pretence and initial impressions were really good. Perfect location, great staff, nice lobby and the room though small was pleasant and quirky with the moving walls for the bathroom. First night the concierge was fantastic, arranging a meal for my wife and I at Helene Dorroze without any issues, car waiting at 8pm – perfect. First night’s sleep was great, comfortable bed, quiet air-conditioning and no noise.
I spent all the next day (Friday) out at work, my wife and I dined out and then that evening no air-conditioning in the room so incredibly stuffy and unbearably hot. Asked the staff on the Saturday morning what was being done and an engineer was on site but no appropriate spare parts and no possibility of a fix over the weekend. Asked about changing rooms, but this was not possible. Looking from the courtyard and outside it appeared the issue had affected the entire second floor. The staff offered complimentary breakfast in way of compensation and brought a fan to the room. Unfortunately no-one thought to dust the fan down so all they did was spread months of dust all over the bed from the filthy blades; we turned it off and opened the window which thankfully worked as the evening was cool.
The next morning breakfast in the restaurant was also a disappointment as the hot plate for the hot foot had not been turned on and so the first bite of the ice cold sausage was enough to kill our appetites. The breakfast was complimentary on its own low merits so effectively no compensation for the lack of air-conditioning. We paid for 5 stars and really didn’t get it and that is a real disappointment even though the reception staff were pleasant and the concierge was first rate. On a different visit with working aircon and warm food it would probably be a return visit but in Paris for 5 stars it should be that all the time.

Room Tip: The velib's are great fun and you see so much providing you aren't afraid of the traffic
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HentiCat
natashl, Responsable réception at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this review, 17 August 2011
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to apologize for the bad experience you had in our property.
We had indeed a failure in our Air Conditioning system and it is true that it was impossible to find a supplier able to solve the problem quickly.
That is the reason why we had to send a fan to your room
Be assured that we do feel very concerned about your feedback as it is the best way to improve our level of service.
Our unique goal is to provide the best service a guest could expect from a 5 stars property.

You did mention that our Front Office Staff our Concierge team were second to none and be assured that I will share your comments with them.
However, all our employees have been hired in order to deliver such a high level of service to our guests

That is the reason why I am a bit surprised about your breakfast experience as it is usually known as a very high quality breakfast.
I am deeply sorry to learn that one of our employees has forgotten to switch on the Hot Plate for the sausages and I would like to sincerely apologize for that.

I really hope that you will give us another occasion to welcome you back and to show you how our standards are higher that the bad experience you referred to in you review.

Kind regards,

Front Office Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
austin, texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

we had a lovely stay at the ic marceau, close to everything. we were in a suite with a private garden terrace. staff was very helpful, gave us card for free champagne when we arrived ahead of check-in time. we also enjoyed the restaurant and had room service once or twice in the morning. food and service was wonderful.
the room and bathroom were bright, comfortable and well-appointed, the decor was great. we are not into opulent drapes and heavy antiques so the contemporary asthetic was a perfect fit.
by suite standards in paris the price was quite reasonable. we will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

We were rather excited at the prospect of finding out what the respected Intercontinental chain could do with a boutique hotel in Paris. The answer, sadly, is 'not much'. The location, near Etoile and the Champs Elysees is great and the lobby is reasonably attractive but there it ends. The rooms are tiny - virtually no storage space (maybe they thought it would just be used by overnight salespeople). The ceilings are huge - about 14 feet/3.5 metres - but this places the lighting far enough away that you need a flashlight to shave properly. The bathroom is in the room with a sliding door - nowhere to put anything down. The plumbing is avant garde but dysfunctional - a flat sink does not drain well! Pricing is consistent with 4-5 star but accommodation is inadequate. Finally the restaurant is tiny and overpriced. A poor effort for Intercontinental!

Room Tip: Ask for one on the back courtyard - at least it will be quiet. Av. Marceau is a busy street!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Adrian S
natashl, Responsable réception at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing the Intercontinental Avenue Marceau for your recent stay in Paris and take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback you shared with us upon your departure.

I apologize for the disappointment regarding your room and the restaurant experience. Indeed, as a boutique Hotel our rooms tend to be smaller than most Parisian style rooms. We understand your frustration and regret that you weren’t satisfied with our property.

I am sorry that these unexpected matters marred your visit and we definitely hope you will give us the opportunity to show you that these incidents do not reflect the high standards of service we provide.

For any future visits, we would be glad to show other types of rooms that would suit you.

Kind regards,

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

Room 117 is in an area where doors bang all night long, every night. We were woken up many times every night by this. Complaining produced no effective response. The hotel said that they had told staff not to bang the doors, but they didn't do as they were told. We were not offered any reduction on the very expensive room cost or any goodwill gesture at all. Even Premier Inn offers a money back guarantee if you have a disturbed night. Very disappointing.

• Stayed April 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank IcemanZero
natashl, Responsable réception at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this review, 28 June 2011
Dear Guest,

Following your recent stay at the Hôtel Intercontinental Avenue Marceau, I was very sorry to be informed that you had a disappointing experience during your stay.

We were sorry to learn about the noise disturbance that occurred near your room during your stay. Your comfort and satisfaction are certainly our priority and we are sorry to have failed on this occasion. Our first duty is to make sure that you can enjoy a good night sleep while coming at the Hotel Intercontinental Avenue Marceau and we are sorry to have failed on this occasion.

The entire team pledges to provide each of its guests with excellent service and we are sorry to have failed on this occasion. We do hope that you will give us a chance to prove to you that we can do better and will be very pleased to show you a room that will suite you upon your next visit.

Hoping we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hôtel Intercontinental Avenue Marceau, where no effort will be spared to make your next stay truly memorable.

Sincerely yours,

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

My husband and I returned last night from the Intercontinental Paris Marceau. To say we are disappointed with the hotel room, amenities and service is to stay the least. We booked a 3 night stay including breakfast at £1200 for the two of us which is not reasonable by any means for what we received.

Firstly, we missed breakfast on the first morning as we came down at 10:35am and they refused us entry to the breakfast room as they had stopped serving at 10:30am. We weren't too fussed although I did think this was not very 5 star like but we went out to a local cafe on the Champs-Elysees which was excellent.

The second morning, we came down to the breakfast room at 10:15am. There was a choice of cold cuts, fruit, juice, cakes and pastries and a hot plate with sausages, bacon, potatoes and tomatoes. You could request eggs and make your own toast. We had some fruit and scrambled eggs with toast.

At exactly 10:30am, the doors to the breakfast room were closed and the waiting staff started to clear the food away from the buffet table despite several guests still sitting at tables eating. At 10:32, my husband requested the waitress for more scrambled eggs...she refused saying 'we are now closed'!!

We were really taken aback by her stoic reply as this really is not expected of a 5 star hotel, boutique or not boutique! My husband then went up to the buffet table to get a croissant and the same waitress picked up the bread basket and walked off with it! As he stopped her asking her for a croissant, she expressed her annoyance, told him they were now closed again and then let him have just one!!! Unbelievable!

I understand they need to close the breakfast room to prepare for lunch but they should let existing guests continue to finish their meal in peace and without being rushed and should ask if there is anything else they can get them before politely reminding them they are closing. The service in the breakfast room was really was not worthy of 5 star standards and they made you feel very unwelcome and rushed post 10:30am.

Given the above, we opted out of having breakfast in the breakfast room on the 3rd morning and asked room service to deliver it to our room instead at a charge of E5 per person. They abruptly refused saying we should have ordered by 3am that morning....again, unhelpful and not the 5 star service we are accustomed to.

We also had the displeasure of ordering room service one evening at 11pm. The limited out of hours menu only included baguettes and pizza. I ordered a ham & cheese baguette which was edible although a little on the stale side and my husband ordered a toasted ham & cheese sandwich. We asked for french fries and were told they did not have any. When the order arrived, very quickly in fact, they had my order and for my husband they had just 4 small slices of brown bread (not toasted, no ham & cheese). When we pointed this out to the waiter, his unhelpful reply was, 'You did not order this' and he repeated this three times instead of saying he would go replace it! In the end, we told him to forget it and he did!

With regard to the room size: whilst I appreciate that European hotel rooms can be on the small side, room 204 at this hotel was the smallest room we have ever stayed in with a miniscule bathroom with a faulty lock that got stuck each time it was used. There was 1 tiny clothes cupboard, completely insufficient for even 1 person's stay and 1 person had to sit on the other side of the bed in order to let the other walk past as there was absolutely no room to maneouvre. The TV only showed news channels (no regular programmes) and the usual pay TV. The mini-bar and tea/coffee facilities were not replenished properly. The shower head broke the first day I used it.

The only saving grace was the excellent location just off the Champs-Elysees, powerful in-room a/c, the free Wi-Fi access and the friendly doormen. The bathroom had Hermes products - the only 5 star touch about the place.

Finally, upon check out, they tried to charge me the nominal amount of E35 for a film I did not watch! I explained I did accept the charge of E15 for a Julia Robert movie which we did watch. Whilst I accept mistakes can happen, I do not accept the way in which the trainee receptionist told her manager in French that 'this lady is disputing the charge...says she watched a Julia Robert film... even though she watched the films she is disputing it'....I understand and speak French, most unfortunately for the trainee. I got my refund! They also charged me for the missing toasted ham & cheese sandwich which never arrived....I didn't bother disputing that though.

As we were leaving the hotel, the doorman asked if we had enjoyed our stay. When we told him that the rooms were too small, he told us that 99% of their guests complain about the room size as they are absurdly tiny.

We have visited Paris on many occasions and this was our 3rd trip this year. We only ever stay at the Francois Premier (just behind Louis Vuitton on Champs-Elysees) which is a 4 star boutique hotel but with the most gorgeous rooms and suites (suite 101 is our favourite) and the 5 star Westin Hotel at Tuileries near the Ritz on Place Vendome. Both properties are well worth the money which is a touch less than paid for the Intercontinental and both are absolutely stunning.

I will not be staying at the Intercontinenal again. Ever.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank KBP05
Dear Guest,

I apologize for the bad experience you had at the Intercontinental Marceau during your stay in Paris. I am utterly embarrassed about the situation we put you in and apologize for the inconvenience it caused to you.

There are no words to qualify the bad impression you came across and the appalling service provided. We understand your disappointment and frustration and feel extremely concerned.

I won’t review the whole situation again as I believe you would like to erase this bad experience. I am sorry that these unexpected matters marred your visit and we definitely hope you will give us the opportunity to show you that these incidents do not reflect the high standards of service we aim to provide. Rests assure that the General Manager has seen all the head of departments in order to take immediate action.

In order to make up for the shortcoming experience, I would be pleased if you could get back to me via email. Please give us a chance to make amends and prove to you that the Hotel Avenue Marceau really bears no relation with what you experienced.

Looking very much forward to hearing from and with my reiterated apologies,

Best regards,