“The jury is still out!”

Au General Lafayette
Reserve with
Au General Lafayette is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,453 of 19,023 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$ 11 - US$ 35
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighbourhood: Opéra / Bourse
Reviewed 9 December 2017

I must admit, I was drawn to this restaurant because of the name. We have many things in Detroit name after General Lafayette. Probably not the best criteria for choosing a restaurant. The building an interior both had a French flavor. Even though it was late and the restaurant not all that full, a member of the staff tried to seat me in a cramped area, which I declined.

The menu here is made up of a nice selection of pretty traditional French food. Nothing really out of the ordinary. I had the Pikeperch fillet with mixed vegetables. The preparation of the fish didn't do a lot for me. A creme brulee for dessert continued that trend. I did though enjoy the beer. While not a wonderful meal, it wasn't horrible either. Service was polite and professional.

Au General Lafayette has a full bar and accepts credit cards. For me the jury's still out as to whether I'd go back.

Aurélie C, Responsable relations clients at Au General Lafayette, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2017

Dear StockholmKindaGuy,

We are sorry that your experience was not perfect. We work a lot to satisfy everybody. We have a lot of reservation so, sometimes, the place seems not full, but not for very a long time.

We hope that your next visit will be perfect :-).

Best regards.

Reviewed 19 November 2017

We were (literally) confronted by of the rudest (and most aggressive) waiters in Paris. Terrible experience. Avoid.

Aurélie C, Propriétaire at Au General Lafayette, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2017

Dear Pax K, we are so sorry that you had bad experience. What has been the probleme ??? We make all that we can for fully satisfying our customers, and we don’t understand that what happened?? Will you explain to us? Thank you and we hope you try again Au général Lafayette and change your advice about us...

Reviewed 22 October 2017

Yes the service can be a little bit slow but we are in Paris, who wants to rush?

If you are looking for simply well prepared food then this is ideal. We were pleased to find it on our travels and enjoyed the food immensely.

Dinner at 11pm was a real treat after a long day being typical tourists

LadyDiamondS. Thank you very much for your advice! We hope to see you soon again :-). Best regards.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

We were 3 women here and one had the veal escalope, which was okay (don't ask why she chose this when in France), one had the onion soup (wonderful) + a steak which was okay (overcooked a bit) and I had the fish prepared Portuguese style, which will stay in my mind as one of the worst dishes I have eaten (or not eaten) in years. It was a chopped up salted (dryed) white fish mixed with peppers and then made into a cake like form. The fish smelled a bit off. Maybe this is how they prepare it in Portugal but I love fish, both cooked and raw so it is rare something throws me so off. Thank goodness for the fries that came with the steak and my grown up daughter's willingness to share or I would have starved.

Dear Calendar,

You didn't like our brandade cod dish., but it's a portuguese's dish and others customers love it and are asking for more. We are sorry that you didn't like this dish, but your advice and note seems excessive and unjust. We work a lot to satisfy our customers and your advice is difficult to accept because it's not our fault, but, you just don't like this dish...

We hope that you will give us an other chance to show you that we can like other dishes of our menu.

Best regards

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Visited with a group of 15-20 people. Food was served quite quickly for that amount of people without prebooking the food. 4/5

The fish was quite good but the rice was dry. As if it’s been waiting to be served for quite a while.
3/5

Service was very good and our waitor was working her but of to serve us. 5/5

Aurélie C, Responsable relations publiques at Au General Lafayette, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2017

Thank you for your advice and sorry for the rice. We take your advice and we will be perfect next time :-). Best regards.