“A delightful experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 127 Paris B&B and Inns
Andover, United Kingdom
“A delightful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

My friend Madeline and I had not visited Paris for at least 20 years so were in need of guidance. Ilhame greeted us warmly with her huge smile, a welcome drink and a map of Paris. She then settled down to show us where to go and the easiest way to get there. Ilhame is the perfect hostess and the B&B is delightful and a typically French experience. Our room was charming, cosy and very clean. Breakfast was delicious. The many stairs kept us trim! We are looking forward to another visit very soon.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stayed over the weekend and since this was our first trip to Paris we wanted the experience to be unique and cosy at the same time. Au Sourire de Monmartre satisfied all those requirements! It really did feel as if you were staying at a best friend's home - the service, the morning conversation, the general feel of the place, the chocolates on every landing .... Sammy and Ilhame were wonderful hosts and made us feel so welcome. The breakfast was simple with the highlights being the wonderful coffee and the homemade jam... all served on the top floor with light streaming through an open plan living room and kitchen. The room was a little small but cosy and the duvet and pillows were enveloping. When I say that the hosts were charming - they really went out of the way to make you feel at home. Coffee at all hours and conversation until the wee hours of the morning. This place really is second to none - and the wonderful North African French hospitality makes it unique! Wholeheartedly recommended for the traveller who wants something completely different in an artsy area...

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah M
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

we stayed there a couple of weeks ago and were a bit disappointed. The room we stayed in was very small and the bed even smaller... same for the bathroom. We are average size people and don't expect to fall while turning over in our bed!!! Il was all very clean, but given that we paid more than 140 euros for a night we expected higher standards. Breakfast was very simple: croissant, tasty baguette, discount orange juice, homemade marmalade (delicious). We didn't really see the point in having a pc screen placed just some inches from the footbed, thus bearably useful.
Moreover, none of the rooms has a real external view, for the building is tightly surrounded by other buildings. Apart from that, hosts were very welcoming and caring. Lastly, it feels unpleasant to contribute to the black market, since we did not receive any receipt apart from the confirmation of the deposit. In brief, it would have be a good deal if the rooms were far below the price they actually are, therefore we won't repeat the experience.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kevin33_1979
SourireDeMontmartre, Propriétaire at Au Sourire de Montmartre, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Thanks for your note about the warm welcome and the delicious homemade marmelade, we are working hard to make sure that our guests feel very welcome into our house. On the negatives you have noted, I would have to say that our rooms are advertised on our website as 14 to 16 m2, which is a standard size for Paris, our beds (noted as extremelly comfortable by reviewers) are 140 x 190 (and 160 x 200 in one room), which is a typically french standard for beds, and that our breakfasts have much more than what you listed, including boiled eggs, yogourts, seasonal fruits and croque-monsieurs when available. All our guests have always noted our breakfast as a great part of their stay, where they have exchanged with travelers and with us a lot of wunderful experiences while having enjoyed a typically good and solid French breakfast before a long walking day in Paris. I am very sorry that we did not fit your expectations on this. A lot of our guest are also enjoying the iMac in each room, which give them the possibility to plan their day without having to bring their laptop. Also noted by most of the reviewers: not having a view on the street has the advantage of protecting our guests form the street noise at night and on the morning, giving the potential for a great and long night of sleep. This has enligthened a lot of our guests so far...
Last but not least, I can reassure you that you did absolutely not contribute to the "black market" by coming home. As you rightly noted, you have received an automatic confirmation invoice at booking time, aknowledgeing receipt of your first part of the payment and you have paid the remaining upon arrival by credit card. If you had asked for the full receipt, I would have sent it to you right away, but I have yet to add this part of the process in our check-out automatic procedure. Thanks for the idea, I will look into it in order to avoid confusion. And again, thank you for your constructive feedback.
Ilhame Aurenty
Woodstock, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

Ilhame was such a kind and hospitable host! She greeted us upon arrival and she reviewed the area on maps and made recommendations on where to go based on what we wanted to do over a cup of tea! The room was cozy but the bed was divine! We had a small cooktop and sink in our room (no fridge) which was very convenient - however, we were too busy trying out local restaurants that we didn't try it out. This B&B is located in a great location being in the north area of Paris. The metro was very close but it was also great to just walk around and enjoy the culture rich Montmartre area. My husband and I even walked from the B&B to the Champs Elysees and other nearby attractions. This was quite a trek but it was downhill and quite interesting doing a leisurely stroll (wear comfortable shoes!). The bathroom was very small and the toilet was right next to the shower but with the limited space in Paris, this was not the end of the world. We didn't realize that there was only enough hot water for one person to shower at a time so this was a surprise but we learned and adjusted accordingly. The breakfast was very good and we were always greeted with a smile and warm welcome from Ilhame each morning when we went for breakfast on the top floor of the B&B (you need to be comfortable doing stairs!). Great stay and location with a very friendly and helpful B&B host!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lynne S
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

It is hard to write a negative review about this bed and breakfast because the owner was SO sweet and SO helpful. But, I have to be honest in my review as I hope others are when they write theirs. At first, I was not very happy with our room at all. Our room was small, which I expected, so that was ok. It was nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable. There was dust and hair in the corner of the room and a pair of black socks that were dusty under the bed. There was also a spot of blood (it looked like) on one of the pillows. We arrived late at night, so we did not get a good orientation of the room. I could not find the heater, or get the computer to work. (There is no WI-FI in the bedrooms, so they provided a nice Mac desktop with internet). I did not like the bathroom at all. The sink was located in the shower area of the bathroom, so if you needed to wash your hands, or brush your teeth, you would get wet feet. The shower itself was great, but be aware that there is only enough hot water for one person at a time, and this is typical for Paris. I did not like this, but would have liked to have been informed of this in a room orientation instead of finding out half-way through my shower. Also, there were only two very very tiny mirrors in the bathroom. They were about 8 inches by 8 inches and they were hung too high for me. I am 5 feet tall and I could not see in either of the mirrors. There was no mirror in the bedroom at all, so every day I had to use the camera on my laptop to put on make up and do my hair. I did inform our host of this problem, but was not offered a resolution. The room we stayed in was Lotus room. When we first arrived, we were accidentally put in to a room on the floor above and that room was bigger, had a mirror and also had a "normal" bathroom, so maybe if you chose this bed and breakfast, another room would be better. Besides not liking the room, everything was fine! The location in Montmartre was great. The neighborhood was so nice! It was located right near the metro to take the train downtown. The owner recommended that we buy a three day metro pass, which worked out perfect! She also provided us with maps and help us to navigate our way around. Breakfast was nice every morning. Also, be aware that the living area, where breakfast is served, it up on the forth floor ( In Paris, the ground floor is zero), and there is no lift. This was not a problem for us, but if you have a problem with stairs, you should know this. I hate writing this review because I really really really liked the owner and her family. I can't say that I would not go back, because I would....but I would request a different room next time.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dive4fishies
I wish you can come back and visit us again, as we have taken actions to fix most of the issues you are reporting here. Our room cleaning standards are very high as it is one of our strongest point, as noted by travelers. Unfortunately on that day, we had a person replacing our usual cleaning lady, which was not trained correctly, as you have noted. We have fixed this. We have added a second wifi station at the bottom of the building so that every room can now use their smartphone and tablets/laptop by wifi, in addition to the hard wiring present in each each room. We have added mirrors in the rooms where they were missing. I am glad that you enjoyed the way you were welcome and will select a different room for you next time...
Ilhame Aurenty