“Room without problems”

Ranked #52 of 69 Hotels in Reims
Bredene, Belgium
“Room without problems”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Our room and the bathroom were very great and clean. The bed was a kingsize one. We had a seat and a desk. It was very quiet in the hotel.
But it seems that there are rooms who are small and with a bad smell but they are renovating the hotel - new carpets where laying in the corridor - and you must give the hotel owner the possibility to renovate all the rooms!
The breakfast was very good and various.
The personel was very kind.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Plus points:
Location - near to autoroute, the reason we were staying at the hotel - as it was a stop over on the return leg of swiss ski trip
Nice welcome from reception

That's it...

Negatives:
Despite smart lobby - this is all a facade, corridors and rooms are drab and dark
Bathroom was dingy and only had a bath
They are trying to spruce up rooms with new carpets and big Samsung led tvs but it is all fur coat and no knickers
They should spend the money on the beds - which was the most singularly uncomfortable bed I've slept in - ever.

Don't stay here

If you need a budget hotel with a family room for around 100 pounds a night or less, stay at the campanile in reins - which is where we stayed on the drive down to Switzerland, (I actually gave that place an average review last week, but is the Ritz in comparison to this place)

• Stayed December 2011

Travellers are raving about these Reims hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 September 2011

This hotel offers convenient but quiet location, a nice breakfast, and bilingual reception staff.
It also offers very dirty carpets. In Europe I always feel like they don't expect you to travel with family or more than 2 people, so it isn't always easy to find a place that can accommodate a family. Our children are not that young, so I didn't have to worry about them crawling around or laying down on the floor and we travel with slippers. At the time there were large rolls of carpet in the hallway so I assume they're doing some renovating which would really serve them well. Perhaps there are updated rooms elsewhere in the hotel, so I'd definitely request that if available. So other than the dirty carpet, the bathroom was fine. BTW, in the bathroom it's a body wash and shampoo in one, so definitely bring your own conditioner ladies. Plastic wrapped cups are fine with me because I don't have to worry about them being clean and I travel with those convenient Clorox travel packs so I just wipe things down. To accommodate all of us they pushed 2 beds together, made up the sofa and used a cot. The sofa seemed the most comfortable to sleep on. I didn't make this reservation, my husband did. If you're going to spend a lot of time in the room, the furnishings for the room are definitely dated and the only English-speaking channel is BBC. But there's enough to do in Reims that you really don't need to spend time in the room.

The breakfast was filling with carbs/pastries and proteins including sausage, bacon, and do-it-yourself hard boiled eggs. Yogurts, apple sauce and cheese were nice and dried apricots, prunes and dates are great for travelers who could use a little fiber. Wonderful machine for cappuccinos and hot chocolate. The individuals covering the front desk had varying levels of knowledge, but all spoke English.

I give 5 stars to the lady working the day shift. When we arrived we were exhausted after 24 hours of traveling on planes and trains. We must have looked like death walking. Our room wasn't ready but instead of turning us away to wait, the woman put us in a temporary room and we all conked out. I never would have expected that and have received worse service at pricier hotels with newer carpet.

The last night of our stay there was a fire so we were moved to another hotel. The problem with staying at hotels right in the middle of all the restaurants is that you'll definitely hear noise from the street at all hours. So I liked this hotel because it gave us a short walk to Place d'Erlon, the center of town. This hotel also has what looks like a very nice spa next door associated with it, but I didn't try it.

If you're on a super tight budget and don't have a lot of luggage, it is possible to walk from the train station but it is down the opposite side of the main street, so just look at a map and get your bearings. Otherwise, it's a very short taxi ride.

So take all these things into consideration. I assume they're making their way around to installing new carpet and this hotel is a solid 3 for value. We stayed at a pricier hotel elsewhere where we had to pay for Wifi in the room but only 1 person could access it and another hotel where wifi was only available in the Lobby or restaurant.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2011

By nature I'm not someone who complains without a substantial reason and I'm rather appreciative when things are reasonable, BUT, in this case I do think I have to save others from the very bad experience I had.

I booked the Quality Hotel Reims de l'Europe (Reims, France) on the Opodo travel website and it looked fairly central and fairly nice. I certainly wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel, but little did I know what was coming...

During the arrangements I asked the hotel for three things. The first was, due to my own fault, I had to delay my arrival day later than booked and wanted to be sure they were aware of this and won't cancel my second night based on a 'no show'. I called the hotel up and asked to be sent an email to confirm this, which they promised, but which never arrived...

Once we arrived at the hotel and walking into the foyer it seemed that it would live up to exactly what my expectations where. It seemed okay, but I was still not sure whether my room was booked. Needless to say they very quickly pointed me to Room 012.

Walking into the room, it was disappointment on disappointment. The rooms were very much the opposite to the pictures presented on the Opodo website. It was a very disappointing 1980's style worn out to the bone and seemed like the act of cleaning was not something they endeavoured frequently. I was tricked! At one point we discussed that we might have been given the staff quarters. No disrespect!

There was no sign of the air-conditioner and the irons/ironing boards mentioned and the so called minibar had three soft drinks in it. This brought me to my second request to the hotel staff whom were pretty unfriendly. On the reception desk we asked for an iron and ironing board. The receptionist stated that a guest asked for this earlier during the day (keeping in mind this was at 7 o'clock PM) and it had not been returned yet. We then kindly asked when it would be returned and he stated the next day. This did not help much considering we expected these items to be available in the room and were heading out that evening. Not even a quick phone call to this long term lender of a quest to find out whether we may use it. Nice!

So finally, excited to leave this filthy room with our creased shirts on we were ready to head out and explore, knowing that getting to our first destination would be best by taxi as we're not familiar with the town or Reims as at all. We asked the receptionist (who could not speak a word of English, very opposite from the presentation on Opodo stating that "amenities include multilingual staff") to arrange for a taxi for us and showed him the address written down on paper. Lost in translation he made a call and explained the taxi should be with us shortly. By now I should have known better, but after waiting 30 min for the taxi which never showed up I was lucky enough to wave down an available taxi, and I say lucky for it's not all that easy to find an available cab in Reims on the trot...

The above, the dated, awful room with no bulbs in some of the light fittings, the nasty bathroom and disappointingly stained towels, curtain netting which had not seen a washing machine in months (if not years) and the rather pathetic service from the hotel, all added up to make it (hands down) the worst stay I have every had at any paid for accommodation. Please don't make the same mistake...!

I guess at the end of the day I can thank my lucky stars that I did only use one night of my two night booking!!!

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and do not ever book a single
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jdthetraveller1975
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 14 November 2010

We booked 2 "exclusive" rooms for a one night stay. Upon our arrival there was some confusion as we were first put in separate buildings. Finally we were given rooms in the same corridor but there was nothing exclusive about it. The room was old, tiny and did not smell very fresh. One towel in the bathroom had old bloodstains on it and to make it complete in the morning there was not hot water so we had to take a cold shower!
As a compenstation the breakfast was given free. But the breakfast was very bad too and we had to wait 20 minutes in the corridor before there was a free table in the breakfast area.
On the up side, the location is smack in the centre but then there are far better options.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple