“The beautiful Palais” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 64 Hotels in Biarritz
Sydney, Australia
“The beautiful Palais”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

Our second stay in this iconic hotel which has the best location in Biarritz and is a most beautiful hotel. The staff are so well trained, professional and very friendly. The common areas are spacious and decorated in the most beautiful antique furniture which you can actually sit on not just admire. The concierge arranged for us to travel to Bilboa to visit the Guggenheim, a private transfer which all went smoothly. There is so much to love about Biarritz and staying in this beautiful hotel. Our ocean view room was gorgeous, understated quality and style. Walking around Biarritz is very easy, the shopping is fantastic, the beach is great but staying in Hotel du Palais is what Biarritz is all about. La Rotonde restaurant is so welcoming and elegant, The Hippodome is a great place for lunch by the pool, the pool is large with plenty of chaise lounges to accommodate guests and each of these places have the most enviable view of the beach and township. I had my haircut while staying in the hotel, the best haircut I have had in years! We travel for the European summer every year so when planning our next trip, we simply have to go back to the Palais, we love it!

Room Tip: 418 is a great room with views in three directions, the main beach, straight out over the ocean and...
5 Thank ontheroadsince73
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Turkish first
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

Not many hotels in France offer as much as the Hotel du Palais: directly located on the ocean, a very large pool, an excellent terrasse overlooking the beach and sea, direct access to a great beach, very good restaurants (not only serving good food and offering professional service but set in a decor and with a view of the ocean that is just grand), a first class spa, a very pleasant indoor pool, immaculate grounds with interesting areas for childrens and golfers. The hotel also defines Biarritz. The rooms could be modernized and may not offer all 5 stars amenities but they are very comfortable, clean and have a lot of charm. The rooms still offer a luxurious experience. We were there for a romantic weekend and hope to bring our teens in the future. The hotel du Palais is a wonderful base to explore the Basque country, practice surfing and enjoying the gastronomy of San Sebastian.

3 Thank Emma011
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

Hote du Palais overlooks the Atlantic Ocean at Biarritz SW France. The building is exceptionally elegant and is without exception the most stylish building in the whole of Biarritz with it's outdoor pool, terrace, mini golf course and children's play area. The very best for me was the Spa. This pool is so calm and relaxing and designed to look like one in Ancient Greece. The service was excellent throughout the 3 days I stayed there. Perfect for a special romantic holiday. The meals were best in the restaurant rather than the outdoor Hippocampe situated by the pool. I detest having to inhale smoke from other diners while enjoying a meal and unfortunately Hippocampe allowed the guests to smoke. The bedroom was beautiful, clean, comfortable with a luxurious large bathroom and high quality products by Hermes. I shall definitely return and highly recommend this as one of the very finest luxury hotels in France.

Room Tip: We would have preferred a sea view but accepted a rear room directly above the front entrance althou...
2 Thank Margaret R
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights here recently and while the public spaces have that Grande Epoch feel, details keep it from being perfect. On arrival we had a an excellent reception, great. We were shown to our room which was on the 5th floor, recently renovated and very cozy. But strangely in a new renovated suite they had no iPod dock or player!? Odd. We had a very nice dinner in their pool restaurant that evening, nice service and good quality we chose it because my husband just didn't feel like a jacket and tie for dinner and the other option is more formal. The other strange thing is that while they have full size Hermes soap and Perfume in the bathroom there is now hair conditioner! In a middle of the road hotel I expect this and bring my own, however in a 5 Star establishment I expect it and save the space in my luggage. When I asked the cleaning staff about this all I received was a very Gallic shrug of dismissal.
The concierge staff are very helpful and seem very busy. We rented bikes which were very nicely delivered to the hotel, points for this! We rode to a nearby town and along the coast which was fun and beautiful. During this time we had to move rooms, down 2 floors to a larger and lesser room in my opinion although the price is quite a bit more. I found the decor tired and a bit dated my husband could not log on to the WiFi. When the Tech came up to the room he did not seem terribly motivated or knowledgeable. My husband ended up sorting it out for him. After our bike ride we were a bit hot and thought we would sit in the sun a bit before dinner. From our room we could see several loungers available. This is where the hotel really drops in our estimation. The pool has Cabanas along the side, these must be reserved in advance and this of course comes with an additional fee......All other chairs are organized around small tables and you can only sit. No chance of reclining here. Seriously? Also getting the attention of the waiters here in the cheap seats is like seeing a unicorn.......For a hotel in this category they SERIOUSLY need to rethink the pool area. Fine you want to charge rich russian oligarchs a lot of money to sit in a cabana fine, but surely they could take some of the area where the current children's playground is and have terraced loungers over there. I was recently at the Beau Rivage in Lausanne and they used this approach to much success and we were happy to be a bit farther from the actual pool to have less noise from the children playing in the pool.
So for dinner we decided to try a local restaurant and the concierge were helpful knowledgeable and prompt. This sort of inconsistency is why i can't rate this hotel 5 stars but also why I at times think they are just average.
For location and architecture they have a unique position and this Hotel is beautiful it just feels as though it has split personality disorder.

Room Tip: Try for a room that has been recently renovated, 5th Floor.
3 Thank marlena m
Luxembourg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

We were expecting way more from one of France's finest hotels, one of the original 7 French "palaces" (in 2012 they are already 12 of them) but Hotel du Palais failed to deliver and, as far as we are concerend, would never consider it again, least to say recommend to our family or best friends.

The general issue is the service, which is the ONE thing you’d expect a palace should really nail. The staff was helpful but it lacks of means to do its outmost. This resulted in a series of annoying little details and problems accumulating over our stay, which in the end made us wonder what happened for this palace to lost its “a” and become a mere “place”:

1) Bathroom: no conditioner. Even after we've asked for it, the cleaning lady told us the hotel did not offer conditioner, only shampoo and soap. Why did the hotel management decide not to offer such items after having opted for Hermes's Eau d'Orange Verte bathroom product range? Did they want to save money or are we really the first customers asking for a conditioner? It is also worth mentioning as that on each of our two mornings we found on one of the white towels given afresh a couple of little pieces of grey fabric. Though innocuous, their mysterious origins were the early symptoms of a general sense of carelessness.

2) TV sets: no DVD player. We were in a suite, with 2 TV's, none of them with a DVD player. Again you really wonder why... True, we did not ask whether we could get a device so my daughter could watch her DVD as we preferred her to swim in the outside pool, speaking of which...

3) At the outside swimming pool, you'd better be a rich Russian oligarch if you want to have a chance to sun bath at a "cabaña". When I called back in February to book our 2-day July stay, I enquired if I could rent a cabaña by the swimming pool. A bit surprised by my question, the lady told me that all cabañas were already all booked a long time ago and there was very little chance indeed that one would free up by our stay. However, she offered to put us on a waiting list, which I declined. Once at the hotel, I understood the 2 privileges offered by the famous cabañas:
(a) At the cabaña, you can get your back tanned, not just your belly! Whereas the cabañas have fully reclining long chairs, when you sun-bath in the "normal" section of the pool, you can only lie on your back, face and belly to the sun. Of course, you can show a bit of creativity and gently throw your chair's mattress flat on the pavement ... but is that the kind of move you’d expect from customers of a palace?
(b) If you have deep pockets, persistency pays. As my wife and I speak Russian, we enjoyed the theatre played by a rich Russian who wanted to get his position in this highly contested part of the pool. On day 1, despite speaking no French and no English, he tried to rent an already booked though unused cabaña, “speaking” with his hands, shoulders, feet ... without success. But on day 2, his persistence seemed to have paid: he was sitting in the cabaña. As they say in French "deux poids, deux mesures"?

(4) Inside swimming pool: this place offers stunning architecture ... and little more. The pool has a little outside private terrace, adorning by the pool, accessible through two independent doors on the doorway of which await two reclining long chairs. I asked the lady on the premises if I may sun bath on these chairs. She confirmed I could ... but she did not offer to pull them out. I had to do that, lay the towels down on the mattress, and after my sun bath, pull the chairs back in. Again, is such a lack of service what you'd expect from a "palace"?

(5) Diner at the restaurant Hippocampe. Even though this was the night of July 14th, hence entailing a premium price for our 3-course menu, none of us three will remember that dinner. The sauce and cream in which the langoustines of the starter floated were much too sweet and the whole lot too copious. On the contrary, the main course and the dessert were refined and exquisite. In any case, this dinner was definitely not worth the amount charged.

All in all, this place has not earned our votes and if it was not for the efforts of its staff, we would have given it a one star.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family