All reviews place de la bourse restaurants and shops the river great location tram stop stay there again budget hotel lovely hotel continental breakfast comfortable room central bordeaux city centre noise luxury
Reviewed 6 October 2014

Stayed here three days in September before and after a bicycle tour. The hotel is fairly basic but is in the perfect location steps away from the Place de Bourse, the St Pierre bar and restaurant district and the tram stop. The rooms are comfortable and the staff very friendly and helpful. The hotel represents good value for money and also sells beer and wine at very reasonable prices.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brithea
Reviewed 6 October 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in September and were delighted with our stay. Friendly staff, smallish but very comfortable room & we enjoyed the breakfast that was correctly priced for the offer. Were able to visit all the major sites on foot directly from the hotel.
For us the huge advantage was the close proximity to the underground parking at Place de la Bourse - just 50 meters from the hotel. The hotel told us of the scheme whereby if you park for more than 48 hours the Tourist Office sells you the parking ticket for the duration of your stay, which equates to roughly 50% discount.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vieuxrichard
Reviewed 5 September 2014

We stayed at the Acanthe last week as part of a package booked by Bordeaux Cycle Tours who were excellent.

Our room was fine but on the first of two nights, there was a highly unpleasant pong of drains in our bathroom. We mentioned this at reception and were told that it was due to the road works that were taking place outside. The next day the roadworks were done and the pong was gone so they must have been right.

Other reviews talk of the central location and we would certainly echo this. No complaints at all here! It is in a side street just back from the River Garonne in the centre of the old town, slap bang in the middle of the restaurant area. Five blobs plus for location! The down side to this though is that it can be difficult to get to the hotel in a vehicle because the old part of Bordeaux is pedestrianised. The tram runs just nearby so not a huge problem.

Wifi, as is customary was provided foc and French style breakfast was self service in pleasant surroundings.

We were given codes to get in the front door if arriving back after 11pm. It is a small hotel and I suppose that they do not have night staff.

All in all, a comfortable boutique hotel which is superbly situated. No problems at all and the only thing that marks it down from the full five blobs was the terrible pong on the first night.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed in the Acanthe Hotel for three nights during a recent stay in Bordeaux, and I would definitely consider staying there again. It is a good budget hotel just off the Place de la Bourse and near the Grand Theatre, rail lines to the Gare St. Jean and walking distance to great bars and restaurants in Bordeaux. In fact, if you take the Bourse stop off the C line, you are literally 3 minutes away from the hotel.

In being a budget hotel though, there are a few things to be aware of:
-- This place is no frills. No grand lobby, elegant elevator or decor. This isn't a bad thing but just be aware

-- You have to leave your key at the front desk anytime you leave. Not the worst thing but not something I've normally encountered

-- There is someone at reception most of the time, but if they are away and the door is locked, you need a code (which they provide) to enter. Again, not the worst thing, but definitely not the norm

-- Elevator is small (by Europe standards) and is slow, but available. Definitely do not take the stairs with luggage if you're on a higher floor

My room was on the top floor and noise was never an issue from inside the hotel. Yes, there is some street noise but nothing very disruptive. That said, if you are on a lower floor, you may not get a lot of natural light or a cute view, just depends what you're looking for.

Staff is nice but they won't help with restaurant recommendations or reservations. You're kind of on your own for that, but not a huge deal.

For what I paid, I would definitely consider staying here again. Beds were surprisingly comfortable and bathrooms very modern. My only quibble was that I think someone either moved or opened my luggage while I was gone, because it was clearly moved and the zippers were handled while I was gone for a day. That said, everything was accounted for and I left it alone.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Bayjb
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The Aacanthe is a super little place, very reasonably priced and a brilliant location right in the centre of town. This has it'sdrawbacks of course, it was noisy outside as you're about 20 yards from Place de la Bourse, and there was noise pretty much all night. Once the drunks had finally gone home, the recycling and street cleaning lorries swung into action, so if like me you sleep with the window open, a room away from the street might be best. I didn't mind though and it didn't bother me. The Aacnthe is a friendly, clean, comfortable, safe, well located and generally super little place. I'm going back next month. Recommend.

Room Tip: Somewhat noisy outside the front so perhaps request a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo