“Simply Superb”

L'Atelier du Peintre
Reserve with
L'Atelier du Peintre is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 319 Restaurants in Colmar
Price range: US$ 29 - US$ 51
Cuisines: European, Diner, French, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 January 2018

This was the second Michelin starred restaurant that we dined in during our visit of Colmar and it was clearly the best. Situated in a tiny side street it has a dining room with a modern sleek design. The welcome was professional though we were not completely delighted with the table close to the entrance because for the person, in this case my wife, that was sitting close to the wall space was a little cramped. On the up side it was evident that on this evening with a restaurant not very crowded the staff had the aim of spacing out customers as much as possible which made for plenty of privacy. The most important part was the food though and this was truly excellent. We debated whether to take the "petite galerie menu" @ 69€ or the "grand galerie" @85€ and in the end we were both delighted to have taken the larger option as it gave us two additonal superb dishes. The first two dishes of oeuf de poule with eel and the tranche de Foie Gras in a bouillon de crevette et crabe were perhaps my favourites but the other main dishes of sea bass, scallops, and the quail fillets were all excellent. Perhaps for my personal taste the combination of sea bass with oranges did not quite work for me but this is also a personal taste as my wife liked it a lot. The pre dessert and dessert were both very very nice. The amuse bouches were also beautiful, especially the deep fried cubes of boudin noir were very nice indeed. The ratio of price (236€ for two menus plus a glass of cremant and one of champange as well as 4 small glasses of wine and a tea) to quality was amazing and we enjoyed the meal a lot. The quality of the food was so high that I think that L'Atelier has the potential to reach a second star in the coming years if our experience here was representative. Highly recommended and certainly a restaurant that I would be delighted to return to.

Reviewed 22 November 2017 via mobile

I reserved a table for one person by internet but when I got in site to the restaurant they said it was complete. Do not trust then reservation by internet with this restaurant; they like old stile phone call; it is chique...

1  Thank ebertini
Reviewed 21 October 2017

I was recently in Colmar for the weekend and made a reservation via Michelin for lunch. When I arrived at my reservation time I was told that they tried to contact me as the time was booked. They were able to accommodate me a little over an hour later. Not a big deal but I was told later to always call and not use online booking. Strange as I have never had a problem with online booking.

The first course of marinated scallops was just ok. I thought that some of the apple flavor just didn't pair well and over powered the delicate scallops. I went with the caviar addition and this totally saved the dish. Caviar should be standard for this!

The second course of "flowing ravioli" was disgusting. It was like foaming mushroom that mixed with the broth and becoming brownish soup.

The third course of monkfish was excellent without the pumpkin mush it was paired with. Crispy skin and excellent cook on the monkfish.

The fourth course mullet was the best effort of the day. Again a really nice cook on the fish and paired with artichoke.

The fifth course of pigeon was also good but not that memorable. You had to be very careful with the dab of raspberry reduction because it could easily overwhelm the pigeon.

The sixth course of vanilla eggs was a little weird. It was a scoop of sorbet in vanilla cream. I was trying to decide who wins.

The seventh and final course was beautifully plated with an apple shaped custard but I didn't get the other apple flavored elements of the dish.

I have been to other Michelin starred restaurants and this one just doesn't fit. Some of the other dishes served looked better so maybe it was just the seven course menu. Service was ok but I missed the little things like pouring my water. Also since I was the last one there for lunch I didn't appreciate watching them clean tables while I waited for my check. Definitely not worth the 100+ euros I paid for this meal.

2  Thank dave d
Reviewed 27 September 2017

This is a good restaurant well worth its Michelin star. We did not book but we arrived about 7.15 and were able to get a table. The staff were very welcoming. We chose the tasting menu called 'La Petite Gallerie' - four courses plus a pre-dessert. First came three amuses-bouche - tetes de veau, beetroot with chocolate and smoked salmon meringue. These were an excellent introduction to the chef's skills.
The first course was a beaten egg with a mushroom salad, potato ice cream and herring caviar, a very interesting combination of subtle tastes.
Next came a beautifully-cooked thick piece of monkfish with grilled pears and a pesto sauce, an avocado sauce and a lovely orange-flavoured hollandaise sauce. Again the tastes were subtle and a delight.
Next came a superb roasted half-pigeon with beetroot both natural and in a mousse and smoked eel and mulberries. The combination worked very well together and the pigeon which we chose to have cooked medium-rare was so tender and tasty.
This was followed by a 'pre-dessert' - a mojito which, after the subtle flavours of the previous courses, was a blast! Not sure whether it worked or not but it certainly cleared the palate which we guess was the purpose...
The dessert proper was a concoction of different ways of handling peach - sorbet, slices of peach, with tarragon mousse. This last was very strong and competed with the subtler tastes of the peaches - another thing we were not sure about but this is all a matter of preference. The chef is experimenting!
We accompanied the meal with a very nice local white wine - a 2015 Sylvaner Rosenberg. Coffee was accompanied by a mirabelle eau de vie.
We were so pleased to find this special place on our one night stay in Colmar on our way back to the UK. It will provide with very happy memories of our brief stay in Alsace.
We visited 27th September 2017.

1  Thank RevdIain
Reviewed 4 September 2017

Based on the reviews in Trip Advisor we booked the Chef's Table at this restaurant. What an amazing night!! Chef Lefebvre was our waiter and it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. We watched the chef and his staff create beautiful dishes (at lightening speed). He brought each delicious course to our table and explained the composition and inspiration of each dish. We were able to ask him questions, not only about our meal but also the other dishes they were preparing for a full house. Being in the kitchen was such a cool experience. We were surrounded by wonderful smells and saw first hand the time and attention to detail taken on each and every plate. The entire staff worked together seamlessly to create an exquisite meal for every guest. Thanks to the chef, his wife and the staff for their graciousness throughout the evening and for creating a memory that will last a lifetime.