“Not the best!!! ”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #52 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The location is very central and close to the train station. The lady (Rabbia) checking me in was very friendly and provided a quick and informative service. The room was based on the second floor and whilst upon entry seemed spacious it lacked any luxury! Glasses and ice bucked provided but no complementary water! The cups were dirty that were provided for tea and coffee facilities.

The room I was in had end to end window which allowed a view of the busy road outside but lacked any sound proofing, which is needed for the rooms that are positioned facing this busy road. The beds extremely uncomfortable so this along with the lack of silence made it very difficult for me to get near on any sleep at all.

The breakfast was fast and what you would expect, so for me this was fine and in-line with other hotels I have stayed at.

All in all, not the best experience for me! Not being able to sleep due to the windows not blocking most of the noise from the outside, and uncomfortable beds is a serious downfall on this hotel. The room may have been spacious but lacked any comfort! Dirty cups and no complimentary water was very disappointing for a 4* Hotel!

Unfortunately I’m Sorry to say it would not be on my list of hotels to stay at when I next return to Manchester.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Daleuk21
Marius C, Front Office Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Daleuk21,
Thank you for your review and feedback. I am sorry to see you have not enjoyed your stay. I am surprised to read about the beds as all of them have been recently updated and we do get quite a lot of good feedback on them.
I will highlight the issues brought up by yourself with my colleagues to avoid recurrence.
I do hope that you will change your opinion and will visit us again to experience the true Macdonald Hotel and see that it was just an one off on your last visit!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Had a fabulous stay here with my boyfriend. Our room was lovely and the breakfast we had as part of the package was delicious with lots of choice. The location of the hotel is great in terms of both being walking distance from Manchester Piccadilly station and as a base for exploring Manchester City Centre. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

HI Kate S,
Thank you so much for your great review! What more can we ask for!
I am really glad you had such a great stay and do visit us again soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed 3 nights in this ‘luxury’ hotel. Unfortunately the hotel charges top prices but this is not reflected in their customer service. Waited an hour for room service - pizza cold on arrival and I don’t know why the ice took an hour at 1825 in the evening. Breakfast shambolic long queue for eggs that never seemed to arrive!
Don’t even think about using the lifts unless you have 30 minutes to spare - 2 lifts for 8 floors ridiculous. Definitely not worth the price - will not stay again.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank guernseylasses

Hi guernseylasses,
Thank you for your review.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the experience you had on your last stay, I can assure you this is not the norm.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch should you want to return and I sure we will be able to make it worth for you.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

First the positives: lovely bed and bed linen. Friendly staff. Good location.

Negatives: dreadful food (hand cut chips were cheap frozen chips). Slow room service (almost an hour, food lukewarm and horribly steamed and stale under cloches). Badly organised: rooms have wrong menu, towel rail disconnected, very small shower, fridge removed, no heating in room so completely freezing - totally unacceptable for a winter stay. Spa expensive for what it is. Worlds slowest lifts. Whole hotel feels like it was built 15 years ago and hasn’t been improved since..dated and left to slowly rot...just feels cheap and as if they’re cutting corners. They are obviously on an economy drive. The only recommendation I’d give is to stay away.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Jane F

Hi Jane F,
Thank you for your review.
I am of course disappointed to read about your experience and please rest assured that this is not the norm. I am positive that if you gave us another try we will be able to change that opinion.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch should you want to come back.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed two times at this hotel, with the Middle East airline I work for! Both times were just great, the rooms have a great amount of space, not to mention the windows, that runs from one side of the wall to the other!
The breakfast is quite competitive, comparing to the other hotels, and the staff is polite and friendly!
The location is beyond expectations! In the heart of the city, you can experience everything the city has to offer in no time!
I’d like to highlight the precious performance of Arcadius, he was the responsible of distributing our keycards once we reached the hotel.
Extremely polite, he took his time to explain me a lot about the city and its attractions,
On the second time I stayed at the hotel, with a difference of two months, Arcadius remembered me from the start, took his time to tell me about other places, and gave my a gym key along with my room key, anticipating my needs!
Based on the number of cabin crew that stays there every day, I think that was quite impressive!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business

Hi Mascarenhas G,
WOW! What a great review. Thank you so much and hope to see you back here soon!