“A real pleasure.......”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #52 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Stayed here for just one night of relaxation and sight seeing after a busy time / conference in the Lake District. I spent a long time on the internet weeks before trying to work out the best value / most comfortable / best located hotel for us to stop at in Manchester. I'm so glad I booked this hotel.
Firstly this hotel is only a five minute walk from Manchester Piccadily station - so easy to get to ( once you have worked out how to escape from the station ! ).
Arriving in the morning a long time before normal check in times we were greeted by a very friendly and welcoming reception team who had us checked in and allocated a room just a few minutes after arriving. We also agreed a good rate for breakfast ( not requested at the time of booking ).
The bedroom - on the 8th floor - was big, quiet, spolessly clean and most welcome. Large bathroom with decent size bath and a separate walk in shower. Two small negatives - and i do mean small.... the heated bathroom towel rail did not work and the toiletries supplied were rather small and not really enough for two adults to have for baths and showers.
After exploring some of Manchester we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. Perhaps a little expensive but excellent service and excellent food. Same with hotel bar - rather expensive drinks but great service and atmosphere.
Very soft bed ( partner loved but I didn't ) - but so quiet - didn't get disturbed by any noise all night long.
Fab breakfast - plenty to choose from.
We left our bags with the hotel after checkout so that we could further explore Manchester before our evening flight home. This hotel is so close to everything, bars / Bar Street / shops / trams / galleries......
The great service continued when we returned for our bags - everyone so friendly polite and good humoured.
So..... although a couple of small negatives, and a pricey restaurant, will we return ? Most definately yes. Our recommendation is to come to this hotel and stay. Based on our visit you will experience great service and have a good night sleep.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 March 2012

I have stayed a few times at Macdonald Manchester on business and wouldn't stay anywhere else now.
Hotel is next to station and therefore very easy to find. Rooms are modern, spotless and huge! Very comfortable bed and quiet with lots of plus points - enormous bath, separate shower and speakers in the bathroom. Two comfy chairs plus desk and lots of cupboard space.
Breakfast is standard buffet have had better but can't really criticise. Staff friendly and efficient.
Have always managed to get room reasonably priced so compared to others in city of similar star rating this is by far best value.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank ErmintrudeMook
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I stayed here with a collegue for a business trip between 27-29th Feb 2012. We got the hotel for a really good deal using laterooms.com and I must say I was certainly impressed by the hotel. The standard rooms were very clean, bright and spacious and ours overlooked the train station (little noisy but nothing to keep you awake at night!). It was fully equipped with mini bar, iron, hairdryer and all usual mod cons. The bathroom was very modern and particularly spacious too. It was an ideal location - within 10 min walking distance of picadilly garden, and about 20 min walk to the Manchester Central Convetion Centre where our exhibition was being held. The food was great altho pricey. The only bad thing was that the car park is very difficult to find and we had to ring conceirge to direct us in - but they did a great job. I would definitely recommend this for either business or leisure.

Room Tip: We booked a standard and was equipped with everything you need, go via laterooms.com for a better de...
1  Thank Katchik2208
Reviewed 29 February 2012

When I checked in I was served politely and taken to my room swifly - the door staff were lovely. However when I arrived in my room - I found it was dirty, the tea spoons in the drawer had been used already, there was toothpaste on the side of the sink and getting into my bed I found someone had marker penned drawings under the duvet! I had a twin room which was really big and well presented - however these small details made such a difference and really let it down... I had a twin room and as it was so big, it was very dark by the bed as there were no lamps and no ceiling lights at that end of the room where the beds were.

I also found a long black hair in my flannel - when i went to use it, so I threw it on the floor so it would be taken with the dirty towels - however i found it neatly folded back by the sink later that evening!

The room was cleaned when I was out - and beds were made, however they didnt take my cups used for tea from the morning - so it had been sitting there all day soiled.

I dont think its really the staffs fault, it seems very understaffed - but they really should teach correct cleaning standards that need to be adhered to. I stayed for three nights on business and was getting back to my room late at night, so I felt very dissapointed that I wasnt comfortable

I also got a sickness virus on the final night and i truly do feel it was due to the bathroom and the rooms being not cleaned and dirty.

Not worth the money at all!

4  Thank tamsin_12
robin_ford, Robin Ford, Hotel Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2012

Dear Tamsin 12,

Thank you for you recent tripadvisor review.

I am deeply sorry that you did not feel the hotel was delivering the expected standards you would expect of a 4* deluxe City Centre hotel, reading your comments this is certainly not acceptable not a reflection of the usual high standards we achieve at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa.

We always advise guest to contact the hotel direct with issues so we can discuss them before they write down on review sites. This ensures that the hotel has had the opportunity to investigate and respond, plus the guest gets a full and proper response.

I note that none of your comments were bought to our attention during your stay, thus we were not made aware and nothing could be investigated. I am especially concerned about the Sickness Virus you mention you contracted as a result of your stay.

Please can I ask that you contact me personally on robin.ford@macdonald-hotels.co.uk so I can gain some more information into the booking dates so I can investigate fully?

Kind Regards,

Robin Ford
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 28 February 2012

I often stay at the Macdonald when I work in Manchester. I book on laterooms.com so get the room for around £75 a night which is really great value for money based on what you get.

The rooms are huge - you get a bath AND seperate shower, with a long mirror accross the other side and above the sink (good for getting ready). They also have speakers in the bathroom so you can still her the TV when you're getting ready in the morning.

The beds are wonderfully comfotable and massive - egyptian cotton sheets. The TV is quite far away as it's all the way on the other side of the room...but that just shows you how big the rooms are. Every room I have stayed in has panoramic views of either the station or the city (the city view ones are more expensive but I actually think the view of the station is nicer). Service is very good here - reception are always polite and will upgrade you if there is a space.

Breakfast is quite expensive and if I'm totally honest it's not that great. Self service which is fine, but the dining area is quite cramped and it's more expensive if you don't add it to your room charge when you check in. There is parking here which I've never had a problem with and is very convenient, but it costs £12 for the night.

The food is good, room service is prompt and has a £5 tray charge.

The gym is quite small and I haven't been to the spa - but I would most definitely reccommend this hotel to stay in and you're right in the centre of Manchester so there are plenty of places to go out and eat.

Room Tip: Don't pay more for a city view room - the rooms on the other side have a nicer view of the train...