DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
US$ 178
US$ 160
Hilton
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$ 100
Travelocity
US$ 98
  • Free Internet
4,376 results
All reviewsdouble treewarm cookiescity cafetrain stationon arrivalfree wificanal streetmanchester piccadillyexcellent hotelmodern hotelmini barbusiness triphotel barbreakfast was excellentcentral locationsaturday nightchecking in
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This was my second stay here on business, first since the re-branding from Mint to Doubletree. Other than the change of ownership and name, not a huge amount has changed.

The location is convenient if arriving by train at Manchester Piccadilly; directly opposite the station exit. It is walking distance to most places in the central business/shopping area and there is a taxi rank just around the corner for when it rains (as it inevitably will in Manchester).

Check-in was quick and efficient and the reception staff pleasant, as was check-out the next day. The reception area is light, airy and modern which I liked. I had a drink with colleagues in the bar, again it was modern and pleasant like the lobby. I didn't eat dinner or breakfast at the hotel this time so can't comment, but it was fine on my previous stay.

The room was rather small; size-wise it was fine if you just want to get your head down for a single night as I did, but not somewhere I'd want to spend several days on business or leisure. It is clear that the furnishings and design were meant to be chic and minimalist, but after a the usual hotel wear and tear it all looks a bit worn out and frankly no better than a typical Travelodge. The carpets looked like they had lived and 'exciting' life that was rapidly reaching its end.

The in-room Mac computer was obviously intended to provide a bit of quirkiness, and one suspects it also cut costs on the overall fit-out. Business travellers (generally) don't use Macs and would often have their own laptop, and many leisure travellers would probably do their web stuff on their own iPad or similar (free WiFi provided, so a big plus over some other chain hotels there).

So the Mac's only useful function is as a far too small TV with inadequate sound. Mine also had a display fault with a blue line running down the middle. Bin it and fit a decent flat-screen TV please.

A potential issue for me was that the following day (on both stays) I did have a small collection of insect bites show up. To be fair, I can't conclusively say it was anything to do with the hotel room (which was clean), but it was something I noticed after both occasions I have stayed, and bear in mind it was lashing it down with rain and cold for the whole of the most recent trip so definitely not something from outside.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
JackAppleton, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Thank you, as a Senior Reviewer for your feedback.

I have shared your comments directly with the team. Through such feedback we learn and improve.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

Arrived at hotel approx 11:30 and went to drop case off as check in not till 15:00 but was informed that we could have a room straight away. The room was spotlessly clean, and had a computer in it, which is the first hotel I have been in to do so. Had to go back to reception as the key card didn't work first time, but the man I saw (Anthony) said if it didn't work again to just ring him from the phone next to the lift and he would come up to fix it, which was helpful. The only downside to the room was that it overlooked a derelict building - obviously not the hotels fault but wasn't very pleasant. We had a twin room and the duvets were quite small, but this is obviously personal preference. The hotel is in a great location for the Arndale Centre and shops about, bus station and very close to the train station too. Museum of Science and Industry within walking distance. Frequent bus service to the Trafford Centre (X50 or 250). The X50 also stops at The Imperial War Museum. Had a 3 course meal at hotel for £19.95. Only thing to mention is I would recommend getting a side order with the main course (£3.50 each) as there is not enough to eat on the main course alone. We were very pleased with the hotel and would definately use it again, and have already recommended it to a friend who is going to Manchester in the near future. You also receive a free warm cookie!

Stayed: April 2012

Dear Craig8246,

Thank you for your detailed review. It is great to read that you would return, enjoyed your stay and would recommend DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Really had nothing to complain about here. Great service, easy check-in (nice cookie on checking in), room was comfortable and the apple TV was perfect when you have no idea what to watch.

Breakfast was a bit pricey for what is provided (can't fault the food or quality) just £17 for breakfast is just plainly rediculous but is the industry standard these days...

Well worth a stay if you are in the area.

Room Tip: Whatever room you get just check the view in from others!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your great review.

I am delighted to share with the team, and read that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

The proximity to Piccadilly Railway station was the deciding factor in selecting this Hotel for a one night overnight stay -would have been been more than happy to stay longer!
From the moment of arrival to final departure,the staff were extra friendly and helpful -obviously they have taken note of earlier less complimentary reviews.
The room standard was first class with quality TV/Audio equipment and an iron flex which actually was long enough to reach the ironing board!The deluxe room included a free mini bar & bottled water - a choice of how to wash down the hot chocolate cookie that everyone gets at check -in.Breakfast was a bit of a rush and quality of food could be better,but again ther service was quick and pleasant.
For a short stay business trip,I would not hesitate going back.

Room Tip: Corner deluxe rooms offer great quality `fixings` and a great view of the City
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review.

It is great to read and share with the team that you had such a great stay - we all hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Enough has already been said about the convenient location and warm welcoming staff, so I'll try and limit myself to details that might prove helpful.

For Hilton HHonors members, the hotel is obviously now part of the scheme. As a Diamond member we were 'upgraded' to an 'executive room' - in fact the room was the exactly same as the standard room, the differences appeared to be bathrobes and the familiar fruit bowl (apple, pear, banana and plum) and two bottles of water.

Plus the contents of the minibar were complimentary to us too. This is a really nice and unexpected touch, I suppose in lieu of the refreshments one might normally find in an executive lounge at a Hilton. It comprised of two beers, a half bottle of white wine, a coke, diet coke and orange juice, a kitkat chunky and small bag of dorritos (no spirits or mixers).

However, despite the generosity of the minibar, I was a little surprised to find that the breakfast benefit was limited to the continental option. The cooked English offering is a £5 per person supplement. It's ordered-from-the-kitchen rather than buffet style. Personally, I would have preferred the cooked breakfast to the minibar, but they must have their reasons.

Incidentally, the hotel was participating in scheme whereby you earn bonus HHonors points for dining at the hotel. 500 bonus points per £15 spent in the restaurant/bars on food and beverage, up to 1000 maximum.

The room we had was showing wear, with carpet stains, holes in the ceiling and marks to the paintwork. Apparently they know there's a need to replace carpets and refresh decor and are part-way through the programme to do it. I also had to ask for more pillows, as the two per person seemed flat and 'unbouncy', they let the bedding arrangements down for me.

All that said, it's a clean, contemporary and welcoming hotel and I'd happily return!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paulieuk

Dear paulieuk,

As a Top Contributor and Hilton HHonors Diamond Member thank you for your feedback. This is extremely useful and we take Tripadvisor feedback from all of our Guests extremely seriously.

Our Guests will be pleased to know that we are constantly reviewing our practices - we take feedback from all reviews when doing this.

Our fantastic DoubleTree by Hilton breakfast will be launching soon at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester PIccadilly - we are very excited.

Please contact me directly next time you plan to stay - it would be my pleasure to help with accomodation arrangements, Jack.Appleton@hilton.com.

Best wishes,