“Below Expectations”

Ranked #43 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Sheffield
“Below Expectations”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

The Hilton on Deansgate is certainly a landmark building, we've stayed in several hotels in Manchester but its the first time staying here, unfortunately it was, in our opinion, below par. That's not to say that the whole experience was poor just certain aspects of the hotel we would have expected to be much better.

Staring with the positives I have to say that check in was very good, we were checked in by Caroline, who was really nice and had all the paperwork done in no time at all, coincidently she also checked us out and remembered us. The bar on the 23rd floor is worth a visit for the views across Manchester, it is quite expensive though but you would expect that. Car parking is about £15 for 24 hours and is a very short walk from the hotel, I believe valet parking is available for about £20. The location is very good, access to the city centre is easy and there are numerous restaurants and pubs close by.

The negative stuff: we had a room which was near the lifts and all we could all night long was the constant rumbling from them, it's not particularly loud but it is very intrusive. The bathroom had a weird frosted glass floor to ceiling window into the bedroom which meant the whole bedroom was lit up when the bathroom light was switched on, might not seem like a big deal but I had to use the light from phone to go to the bathroom in the night rather than waking my wife, bad design I think. Breakfast was busy but we didn't wait long for a table and again the staff were helpful but the breakfast itself wasn't good, everything was cold, we always look forward to a nice hotel breakfast but this one didn't hit the spot or even come close.

Overall I would say the Hilton is okay but not as good as you would expect, Manchester has plenty of hotels to choose from and next time we will choose somewhere else I'm afraid.

Room Tip: Stay away from the lift shafts!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mickgfd
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your detailed feedback following your stay with us.

Your positive words regarding your check in experience, our location, views and Cloud 23 are appreciated, however I am disappointed to learn that your entire stay was not as you had hoped.

I note your comment regarding the frosted glass pane in our guest bedrooms. I can only apologise that the design feature of the guest bedrooms are not to your likening as I appreciate they are that of a personal choice.

I empathise completely with your point regarding the poor night’s sleep you had due to noise disturbance from the guest lifts. Schindler Lifts, the contractors for the guest’s lifts have been contacted to request that the noise from the lifts be reduced. They are looking into this on our behalf and I thank you for your comment

Our breakfast offering is prepared fresh daily and is replenished on an ongoing basis to ensure that our guests receive a high quality breakfast. I have shared your observations with our Restaurant Manager and she is reviewing her operation of breakfast service to ensure we do not receive this comment again.

I appreciate that Manchester has a large selection of hotels for our visitors to choose from and I am very thankful that you chose to stay with us on this occasion and I do hope that you are able to stay with us again.

John McLaughlin
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cranbrook, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Stayed on business, not quite as central as other hotels but a good base. Easy check in with efficient staff, nice room, clean and well appointed, nice catering. A colleague who stayed a couple of weeks later spotted Roberto Mancini there so clearly a mark of some quality!

• Stayed January 2012
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback with everyone following your stay with us.

I am really pleased that you had a great stay with us and that you had the opportunity to dine with us.

I do hope that you are able to return to stay with us on business or leisure in the future when it would be our pleasure to look after you once again.

Essex
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Stayed for 3 nights. Room was very nicely presented, way better than a couple of tired Hiltons I have stayed in elsewhere. Very clean, good facilities, comfy bed. Bathroom was very nice, shower was good once figured out the temperature control. Was advised that breakfast wasn't included when checking in but once I had checked my booking confirmation (saying it was) and rang down, this was corrected swiftly with no issue.
Had room service once, which was very good, brought to the room in a warming oven, which was great because sometimes the food arrives only just warm enough.
Breakfast was good for a buffet style, plenty of choice. Standard coffee was awful though, but espresso was delivered when asked, dont get that everywhere. Staff were polite and friendly.
Certainly a good, modern Hilton. I was impressed. Shame the investment isn't there for some other hotels in this chain.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Manchester.

I am really pleased that you found all team members to be welcoming and attentive and that they looked after you during your stay and that you enjoyed your breakfast and you had a great nights sleep in our comfortable beds.

Thank you for dining via Room Service and it is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your dining experience.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the very near future.

Whitby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Stayed here on government rates as we were holding an event next day. Staff were excellent. Agree about charging for water other hotels its free and there's no 3G signal at all. You can have wifi if you pay. PLEASE! We are in the 21st century just provide it. It didn't even work for our event and we were unable to tweet anything. I wouldn't pay full price to stay. Breakfast - there was a lot to choose from but neither the tea nor coffee was nice.

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing this review following your stay with us this month.

The team here at Hilton Manchester Deansgate are pleased to be able to offer you a friendly service and I hope that you return when business or leisure brings you to Manchester.

Hilton Worldwide are delighted to be able to confirm that we are now able to offer our guests full WIFI access in all areas of the hotel including guest bedrooms. Something you can now enjoy in all Hilton Hotels. Complimentary WIFI is available in our public areas.

The water supplied in our guest rooms is there as a benefit should our guests wish to consume it. We would of course have been more than happy to offer alternatives via our Room Service department should you have so wished.

We are pleased to be able to offer our guest a wide variety of breakfast food items and I am pleased that this was to your liking and I can assure you that I have shared your comments regarding the team and coffee served to ensure that they are being prepared to standard to ensure we do not receive this feedback in the future.

I do hope that you are able to stay with us again very soon.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We got a great deal and had a lovely stay. The rooms are so lovely, for about 30 minutes after checking in we spent admiring the lovely views of the city and the rooms furniture.

In the morning, breakfast was lovely and spent celeb spotting as it seems to be a firm favourite amongst some stars.

Sad point was that we were so tired that we never got to experience the sky bar or spa facilities so a return trip is defiantly on the cards.

Room Tip: High floor = Great views for all.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone.

I am delighted that you were able to take advantage of one of our many offers on this occasion and I hope that there are many more to come.

Thank you very much for all of your positive feedback, it is great to know that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel, our service, offerings and indeed the wonderful views of Manchester.

I am thrilled to read that you will defiantly return to stay with us at which point I hope you are able to enjoy a cocktail on Cloud 23 and maybe a swim or sauna in our leisure area.