“The rudest staff - go elsewhere ”

Barbakan Delicatessen
Ranked #543 of 2,527 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Deli
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

This shop has excellent produce but has some of the rudest staff I have ever had the misfortune to have serve me. I have been twice and each time I have had the same experience . So no more business from me .

I was in today, and apart from the person having an inappropriate personal conversation about her manager. They then indicated I needed to recommend them for great service by way of their bread loyalty card so she could get some reward. She was impatient in my choices at the deli desk and said nothing as she handed me my change , apart from she was off on her break, to her colleague, having never engaged with me apart from to tell me where to leave the wire basket as I left .

Really a shame and they need to recognise they are at risk in a competitive market place.

I will not go again.

1  Thank Ben J

Reviewed 18 March 2018

Great deli stop, to stock up on german sausages and lots of delicious breads, highly recommend. Lots of spices and pickles and coffee stop.

Reviewed 12 January 2018

This may be a Chorlton institution but for all the wrong reasons. The quality of products can’t be faulted but the customer service is abysmal. Food allergies are serious and can be deadly in some cases so to be treated like an idiot when asking for advice on what is safe for me to eat is unbelievable. I have to ask questions for my safety and any business that serves food needs to be prepared to answer. I don’t expect people to know everything about the content of food but there must be a way of finding out without being shown up in front of other customers. Never again.

Reviewed 13 December 2017 via mobile

Most staff members here have always been quiet rude apart from the chef that makes the lovely veggie breakfast.

Today I went in with my son to buy a soup for my husband, I asked a server who is an older Caucasian woman with light blonde hair

"Do you have vegetarian soup?"

Her reply was
"Yes, we have a lovely Italian spicy vegetable soup "

The conversation was simple.

After purchasing it and taking it home to my husband, he discovered chizaro (sp) was inside it?

I called Barbakan and spoke to the same server, who says she will get the manager to call me back, I called again after 15 minutes closing time and spoke to the assistant manager who says the server says I asked what chizaro was and decided to buy it anyway???

This did not occur in the conversation, no way.. no how!

After eleven years meat free why would I want to purchase meat?

I am very insulted as she lied, just to cover her tracks?..plus I took a meat soup home to my husband. After one sip, he tasted the meat and threw it away.

The manager was apologetic, but the server? Not so much so, after making a mistake she lies??
(Or was it a mistake?)

She sees us very often in the shop and we always get meat free options.
We were very regular customers, not anymore!

Reviewed 24 October 2017

A fantastic deli/bakery, in business over 50 years. The range of breads/pastries/cold cuts, etc is unbeatable; I'd go there daily if I could afford it ☺ Newer places have opened/closed; none can hold a candle to the original. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable, the food fantastic. So glad it's on my doorstep!