“Good value break”

Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good value break”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Stayed for 2 nights on a B&B special offer which was very good value. Not sure I would pay the rack-rate. Staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. Room was not huge (standard twin room) and the bed felt like the mattress needed replacing. Our room was on the inside of the building so had no view other than of walls with more windows on - but on the plus side it was quite as some people with rooms overlooking the road and trams reported them being noisy.
We had a disabled access room (not on request) which had a walk-in shower (no bath) which flooded the entire bathroom because the curtain was about a foot off the floor - this is very dangerous!
Breakfast was good quality and plenty of choice - cereals, fruit, toast, pastries, cooked breakfast etc.
The hotel is very central for shopping, theatres, etc and opposite St Peter's Square metrolink station whcih is handy.
Lovely atmosphere around the hotel and a real feeling of grandeur. I would be slightly wary of the large roady hen parties who were checking in on saturday morning - not the usual Midland clientele!!

Room Tip: Some rooms are affected by the tram noise/ vibrations so ask for a room on the inside of the buildin...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Dear Edinem,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and thank you for praising the team. If you'd be so kind as to make contact in relation to your room I'd really appreciate it as the last thing we would want to do is cause an accident. Please call 0161236 3333 and ask for myself and I will be onto your concern immediately as it hasn't come up as an issue before.

As a Seasoned TripAdvisor reviewer I can see that you get around quite a bit and so will compare on stay with another. And so I'm really pleased that you were kind enough to tell others of the friendliness and professionalism of our team and that our food service offer and delivery was to your satisfaction.

As mentioned if you were to get in touch I would appreciate it.

The Midland
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (834)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Midland Hotel on the 28th April, very pleased to say the Hotel has superb character inside and out.
The Octagon area having Afternoon Tea was a journey back in time to a restful atomsphere with lovely fresh sandwiches and enough tea and cakes to have had guests with us.

The service from all the staff was first class at the Midland Hotel, the room was clean and very comfortable and what a Bed, It was superb.
The sunday morning breakfast was excellent, and there was no rush, we took our time over a very leisurely breakfast.
Again much thanks to all the staff, they could not do enough for you.
Excellent Hotel, Great Staff.
I hope to stay again soon.

Martin and Carol

Room Tip: Talk to the Hotel Staff, it`s as asimple as that.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Martin and Carol,

Thanks so much for your lovely review we really appreciate it. Great to read that once again our superb team really looked after you and that you enjoyed afternoon tea and breakfast as well as all of the other amenities that this fantastic building has to offer.

We know we are extremely fortunate to be able to work in such surroundings but it is always the service standards and quality of delivery that guests reflect upon and I am so pleased that you have taken the time to tell others about our hotel, team and services in such a positive way.

We look forward to your return; please let me know when next you are planning to stay.

Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2012

My friend and I stayed at the hotel on Sunday evening 6th May although it was very busy that particular evening because of a Hair and Beauty Awards were being held in the hotel the staff were wonderful. The bars were very busy, we waited 25 minutes to be served so we moved to another bar were a lovely girl called Laura Murphy served us and apologised for keeping us waiting when in fact it was only minutes before she could serve us. Her customer service was second to none and I complimented her later in the evening to the Bar Manager who was quite rude and didn't seem to take much notice of my comments.
There was also a young concierge I think his name was Roger who greeted us when we arrived he was so pleasant and arranged for our car to be taken to the car park he was also on duty when we checked out again his customer service skills were excellent as were Jimmys he was a very pleasant and friendly to us when he returned my car.
The breakfast was very nice and the staff also were all very attentive.
The rooms were very comfortable it is the second time I have stayed at this hotel and both times I have had very nice quite rooms. The staff make this Hotel (with the exception of the Bar Manager).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear Maureen776,

Thank you for your feedback and I agree that it is our staff who make the difference between an average and great hotel and we work very hard on delivering that unique quality all the time.

Please be assured that I will speak with our Lounge Manager to ensure that all of her team deliver to Laura's standard and not just the majority.

Thank you for taking the time to review us and we look forward to your return.

blackpool
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Stayed at the midland on sat 5th may,unfortunatly only for one night.The hotel is beautiful,bedroom lovely,clean,comfy bed.we used room service several times.ordered food also a iron and a board both came quickly.Breakfast was delicious,good variety and nice and hot.staff all seemed friendly and helpful.Will be staying here again next time im in manchester.

Dear BlackpoolRosie,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review The Midland and for your very generous comments which are ALWAYS great to read.

We are very lucky to be able to work in such a wonderful building but it is always reassuring to know that our great team make a real difference by delivering such friendly yet professional service.

Thank you once again and we look forward to your return sometime soon.

manchester, uk
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I've stayed here on average about 3 times a year and have reviewed this hotel before (but not every visit). The standard for the hotel and the rooms is always consistent and good. Reception staff are lovely and the concierge are always very helpful. Our room was ready early to check in but breakfast was a pain. The same problems this time as the last time I visited. My last visit they were busy so I let it slide but this time was worse and it wasn't that busy.

The eggs were not cooked enough and were slimey (I complained about this last time and again this time) Products were running out and not replenished quickly enough (I complained about this last time)and the male staff member couldn't have been less interested. The toaster does not toast it was warm bread (I complained about this last time). So just an average this time as the breakfast let the side down for the excellent efforts made by everyone else. Hope its better next time because this really is a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: city rooms have a nice view but can be noisy if sirens happen to go past
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear L38,

Thank you once again for your continued loyalty of The Midland and I can see from your previous reviews that when we get everything right you let everyone know which is appreciated on this occasion we haven't and I can only apologise with the reassurance that we will work hard to put it right as you would expect.

That said I know from the date of your stay that we were exceptionally busy for breakfast and although we let our guests know that we will be busy at peak times it is quite difficult to convince guests to come down a little earlier to enjoy what we feel is a great offer and so from 0930hrs queues on busy days do build.

Thank you for highlighting what we did well and please let me know when next you are planning to visit so that I can arrange matters for you.