“Really great hotel”

Velvet
Ranked #9 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I've stayed in quite a few hotels in Manchester, and I have to say I think this is one of the best. The welcome to the hotel was really friendly indeed - the guy at check in couldn't have been more helpful. My room was very comfortable and was well insulated against the noise of Canal Street (and the celebrating Man City supporters!). Dinner at the restaurant was reasonably priced with efficient service and a good food and wine selection. Thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a central location for work or play (or both!).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank MDinLondon
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

I booked this hotel on the strength of both previous reviews and the hotel's location, just 10 minutes walk from the Palace theatre where we were to see Phantom of the Opera. I also thought the room rates were perfectly reasonable for the style of hotel.

The room was very spacious and comfortable and had all the nice touches mentioned in previous reviews, so I won't repeat! To me, it seems that the hotel was created, furnished and decorated by experienced travellers rather than classroom architects because I can't think of anything missed from the list of room facilities.

Excellent service was provided on our arrival with fresh milk for tea/coffee, ice cubes - with a small jar of sliced lemon - for something stronger. The turn down service took place whilst we were out, with the milk, ice & lemon stored in the minibar for our return.

We explained we were due at the theatre and were ably and professionally assisted by the receptionist with a map and suggestions of where to dine. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant but did have a couple of drinks in the hotel bar after the show and received great service. Nothing too much trouble.

I have to mention just one downside with our particular room (no. 31) that might affect fellow travellers and that relates to the closure of the curtains. This room is on the 3rd floor and has unusual windows that require Roman blinds, which, although very attractive, don't fully close to blank out daylight in the morning. Consequently I was awake from 5 a.m. and unable to get back to sleep. I don't have a helpful solution for the owners, but would avoid this room myself when (not if!) we come to stay here in Manchester again.

Well done to the owners on creating a lovely, quirky, chic boutique hotel that's completely unlike any branded chain of hotels. Well done to the staff by supporting this by delivering courteous professional service.

Room Tip: avoid room 31 if you're a light sleeper!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rob C
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We can across this hotel by chance and its the best boutique hotel we have ever stayed in. The attention to detail is second to none, from the minute you arrive you are made so welcome, nothing is too much trouble, sweeties on reception desk, the little yellow duckie (which we will take on our travels for the facebook piccies), fresh milk in your room, cookies, ice. Even though we were unsure what to expect as we had booked a room which said noise could be heard as it was above the bar, we must say that we heard nothing and it certainly did not spoil our stay. I cannot say enough on how impressed we were with this hotel, the breakfast selection was excellent, freshly cooked to order. We had cocktails in the bar before we went into town, the bar staff were helpful as the choice was immense. The room, a picture postcard, the bathroom amazed me with the lights coming on automatically as you entered. Bathrobes, slippers and soft towels. A comfortable bed, iron and ironing board, trouser press, the choice on the mini bar included sweets, oreo's, kettle crisps. Discounted car park if you park in Chorlton Street NCP, which is 2 min walk to hotel. I really cannot say enough, I understand after staying why this is number on trip advisor. I am already booking to go again and will not stay anywhere else when in Manchester. Thank you Velvet Hotel for making our stay one to remember.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sue R
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Well, this weekend was booked for my other half's Birthday. The hotel is lovely, we spent two nights here. From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave nothing seems to be too much for the friendly staff! We parked in the NCP car park on Chorlton St, which is 2 streets away from Canal St. If you park here it's normally £19 per 24 hrs with the hotels discount it's £13.00 per 24 hrs. Park up, get your ticket and upon checkout the hotel swipe your card and the discount is applied!
The small touches make this hotel stand out from the rest, from the free Wi-Fi to fresh coffee upon arrival and complimentary fizz (if you have the clubbers package)! Once we had finished with our tray with coffee and cookies I was heading over to reception to give them the tray before we popped out. While we were out we were left with fresh milk which was placed back in the fridge so that we could have a coffee on our return. It's the little things, the ice was replaced daily and so were the biscuits, organic toiletries, bath robes, slippers - the list goes on. Our room was lovely, decorated in my favourite colour, purple :)

We had a meal in the restaurant on the Friday night, book before 7pm and you can get the meal deal. The food was amazing we had a fillet stake which was cooked to perfection and homemade chips. We had room service on the Saturday night, just too tired to go down to eat. Arrived within 15 minutes :) amazing service, can't fault it!

Breakfast was included in our package, continental all you could eat and you can also have the works too which you have a choice from sausage, eggs - however you would like etc etc.

Overall this hotel is brilliant, it's in the heart of everything, we shopped 'til we dropped on the Saturday and it's lovely coming back to a beautiful room where you know you can relax and chill out!

We wouldn't stay anywhere else - Thank you!

Room Tip: It all depends what you want I guess - Our room (15) over looked the canal, we really liked the posi...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leedslips
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This hotel is an absolute gem! Reception staff were friendly and helpful and we were made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived, with coffee and cookies brought to the room. All the rooms are individually decorated and furnished and the one we had was beautiful and very gothic in style. Food in the restaurant was great and the bar had a lovely ambience (not to mention the impressive range of vodkas and great cocktails sampled during Happy Hours). Location is good for shops and nightlife. Having experienced this hotel, I really wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in Manchester.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple