All reviews wetherspoons hotel typical wetherspoons separate entrance busy pub market square iron and board recent refurb complimentary water happily stay again excellent value for money no lift flights of stairs beds were comfortable steak night fish and chips central location saturday night
Reviewed 6 February 2018

My first stay in a Wetherspoons hotel. As my local Wetherspoons is dreadful didn't have really high expectations but this hotel was better than I imagined.
The room was clean with nice large mugs for tea and coffee. The shower was rainfall type with an adjustable temperature. Great for me as I like really hot showers. Strangely however I need a cold room to sleep in and the air con worked well for me.
Bed was very comfortable . Heard a little outside noise but the pub aren't responsible for someone repeating the same expletive half a dozen times tines until it faded into the distance. Didn't wake me and if I hadn't been so warm and comfortable I would probably have got out of bed to see if I was missing something. Didn't disturb my travel companion and I expected noise because I was staying in a busy area on weekend nights.
Did notice slight smell in bathroom possibly drains not hotels fault and on one occasion the toilet flushed itself strange .
Staff friendly didn't eat in the pub but constantly seemed busy so must be good.

Recommend planning next stay.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Andy H, Manager at The Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2018

Thank you for your review. We are pleased we exceeded your expectations and hope your next trip wont be too far away.

Reviewed 30 January 2018 via mobile

Beautiful old coaching house! Pictures represented local history of the Wesley family. Staff were warm and welcoming. Lunch was delicious, beautifully served with plenty of fresh vegetables.
Good choice of puddings.
We were not hurried, it was an enjoyable visit.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Andy H, General Manager at The Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2018

Thank you for your review. The Red Lion is steeped in history regarding Doncaster's racing scene, we're glad you enjoyed that aspect of our pub. It's lovely to know our staff gave you a warm welcome!

Reviewed 29 January 2018

Great stay for races on the 27th! Fantastic room,great breakfasts,central location and friendly staff what more can you ask for! Value for money hotel and will definitely be back! Thumbs up all round! Well done the red lion!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with JD Wetherspoon

Thank you very much Peter. We're glad to have been part of your race day experience!
We hope to see you again for your next one!
Kind regards, The Red Lion team.

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

First time I’d stayed at a Wetherspoon’s hotel and it wasn’t too bad at all. Rooms are well appointed, quite trendy and in great condition. Bed was really comfy, only downsize was the noise from the street in the morning.
The pub downstairs is probably one of the best Wetherspoons I’ve been in. Food was good also. A pretty decent stay, thanks.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Andy H, Manager at The Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2018

Thank you for leaving us a review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and that our hotel and bar managed to surprise you. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

We may have visited on a cold wet day in January but the Red Lion Hotel offered a warm and comforting overnight stay. Upon arrival you may be forgiven for thinking you had made a wrong choice as the hotel looks tired and uninviting fom the outside. However, once inside, the staff were friendly and our room was spacious, warm and welcoming. The room had everything you would need including tea and coffee and plenty of storage space for hanging clothes. The beds were comfortable though we wished we had brought our own pillows. Downstairs we enjoyed a generous evening meal which offered great value as well as quality cooking. You barely have time to savour the evening cuisine before you are enjoying a hearty breakfast the following morning.
There is a friendly atmosphere created by helpful staff and the banter from the locals enjoying a pint or two.
Finally if you like to take your dogs with you then this hotel welcomes your four legged friends at no extra cost. The room was large enough to accommodate our 2 dogs and they were able to sit with us when we eat.
So please do not judge a book by its cover and be put off by the outside appearance for what matters is what is on the inside and based on our experience it was surprisingly positive.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review Martin!
We are certainly pleased to have been a surprise, our refurbishment really has gone down well!
We look forward to seeing you again.
Kind regards, The Red Lion.