“Terrible meal - errors and cold food”
Review of Scawsby Mill

Scawsby Mill
Ranked #199 of 606 Restaurants in Doncaster
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Whatever the occasion, Eating Inn is the perfect place to visit! Our menu is always packed to the brim with an array of delicious dishes. Fancy a burger? We have a great range of them… and they all come with quality brioche buns. Craving some classic pub food? We’ve got that too. As for dessert… the list is extensive! It’ll make you want to gather your friends and family to come in and enjoy the quality and great value, together. If you’re thinking of bringing the kids, we’re armed with great children’s activity packs to keep them occupied and a menu full of scrumptious food to please even the fussiest of eaters.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Went as a party of 7 having booked a table; they did not have the reservation listed but found us a table.
Service - very very slow, although our waitress was very polite and made every effort to put things right despite the appalling food and errors.
Errors first - out of 7 meals ordered 4 were not correct or were sent back.
All of the portion sizes were very tiny, for example the Texas burger - it arrived alone on a wooden board with a pot of chips - no garnish, coleslaw etc and there were only 12 COLD chips in the pot. Chips were replaced.
My Dad ordered the gammon with the scotch eggs - he received the £4.99 tiny gammon instead - this was amended but they then ran out of scotch eggs (replaced with fried egg) and forgot to replace his additional onion rings without being reminded.
Three of the party ordered the Mini grill - now this arrived mini enough to be a child's meal!. All three were stone cold both the meat and chips so were returned. They were eventually replaced but I suspect the meat was microwaved as the tiny chicken fillet was rubbery on all plates, the sausage was missing on one and my food was still too cold to eat so I only had the chips ( refused to pay for these meals). We also had to remind the waitress to bring the extra sides back we had ordered.
Following the meal it took 30mins for the staff to clear the table and as we were all still hungry from the tiny portions we thought we would try the puddings. These took 25 minutes to arrive (we were about to leave) and of the 4 ordered one was incorrect (apple pie instead of blackberry and apple) and the Bannoffe pie was still frozen, you could not make this up!.
Needless to say more items were removed from the bill. I have not had such poor food and slow service in many years and I would not recommend this pub anymore, having been a regular prior to it having a re-brand.

2  Thank Michelle H
SmileyApril, Guest Relations Manager at Scawsby Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

I was very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit
I would very much like the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail and would appreciate it if you could call me at the Scawsby Mill

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Visited here for a family tea. We asked for a child’s activity pack three times before it arrived then had to ask for crayons another twice only to be told 10 minutes later they had run out. They also ran out of onion barjis and two types of curry.

Mains arrived and the chicken skewer had 4 pieces of chicken on it and 4 peppers for £8.49. When I asked if it was a full portion they agreed to bring another one. Chips were cold and the half a roast chicken was like a sparrow.

The fault lies with the management full stop. Three waiting staff on during a busy tea time serving poor food from an inadequate kitchen!!! All the poor girls did was apologise all night.

Very disappointed and we will not return.

1  Thank Lesley B

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Visited soon after refurbishment and most of our party of 4 enjoyed their meal despite a huge wait to order both drinks and food. I swapped my chips/onion rings for a ‘side salad’ but it was a pretty poor substitute and not a salad at all. It consisted of a few leaves and a few berries. Certainly not worth the swap in monetary value.

We visited again yesterday and unfortunately none of us enjoyed our food this time. The half chicken meal was very greasy/oily and again, my salad was poor. £7.99 for a chicken and bacon Caesar salad. The menu said it came with croutons and cheese. I wish I had taken a picture as it was the worst ‘salad’ I’ve seen. It consisted of 6 gem lettuce leaves in a bowl, perhaps half a chicken breast cut up into small pieces and a few bits of bacon. No cheese or croutons in sight and no other salad???

We were in a rush so didn’t bother to complain but several others were doing so as we left.

The only positive is the young waiter. On both occasions he has been polite and helpful.

Unfortunately we won’t visit again. It isn’t cheap to eat there now and the food doesn’t match the price tag.

1  Thank looney41

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Best thing that can be said is that the service is friendly.
Had to wait a long time to order food, even longer before it arrived
Kitchen had run out of mashed potato and seemingly some vegetables since they did not appear on the plate!!!

1  Thank Colin W
Bethany M, Guest Relations Manager at Scawsby Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2018

Please can you ring the pub and ask for Steve (01302391617) or email : M6712@greeneking.co.uk

Reviewed 28 March 2018

My parner and I went for evening tea on Saturday 24th March 2018. The pub has recently been refurbished so we thought we would give it a try as previous visits were disappointing.
Well nothing apart from the Decor has changed, rude staff when you can get hold of one. We were sated 20 minutes after arrival and ordered our main meal which took 45 minutes to arrive, nothing special just beer battered fish and chips,As we hadn't eaten most of the day we also ordered a desert which after another 45 minutes had still not arrived, we would of complained to the manager Steve, but was told he wasn't available. Greene King need to sort out themselves as this is the case with Woodfield Farm in Doncaster.
PLease avoid if you really want satisfaction.

1  Thank merseyferry
Bethany M, Guest Relations Manager at Scawsby Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Please could you contact us at m6712@greeneking.co.uk so we can get a few more details about your visit to Scawsby Mill

Thankyou