“Okay for one night” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Solihull
London
“Okay for one night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Town centre location. Rooms and hotel could seem to have better days around decor I found the rooms very dated and looked like they need a good refurbishment. The bed was fine and comfortable and there is a really good indian restaurant called Spice City at the rear of the hotel in Warwick road , excellent food well worth a visit and cheap. Hotel stafff were excellent but the place in general needs a good refurbishment as there are rooms all over various floors, I had a room that overlooked a bowling green , I would say if you get a good rate the hotels o0kay when we went the bar was empty and the restaurant so can not comment on that. Dated television sets in room I would not pay the ful amount okay for a night but nothing else

• 4 of 5 bubbles
GMSolihull, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Birmingham Solihull, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you for your review, I am pleased the staff were helpfull.
Whilst the hotel is of an older type we are constantly working with our maintenance team to keep the hotel in good decoration.
There are a number of excellent restaurants in the area (one of the benefits of a prime location in Solihull).
Whilst our rates do fluctuate there are some very attractive deals which run throughout the year.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
wakefield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

This was a last minute booking for business purposes and not my first choice. It was a large chain however and the room rate was £115 per night (although this was discounted by my Employer) so I was expecting a pretty decent experience.

I was disappointed from the start though. You have to pay extra for parking - I can sort of see why they do this as it is a central location but it should be included in the room rate. Ramada - please note that customers HATE lots of extra and hidden charges.

Reception was chaos and I was made to feel like an interruption. There was someone painting the actual reception desk which did not help and after waiting a few minutes for someone to actually check me in, they answered the phone 3 times during our interaction which was very rude and unacceptable.

As I made my way upstairs and along the corridoor, I felt as if I had entered a 1970's universe, very dated and very worn decor - defo in need of a refurb! My room had the word 'studio' on the door - not sure if this is relevant or if these are older rooms?

Anyway, my room was just as old fashioned and in need of updating. There were stains on the carpet, furniture was damaged, holes in curtains (I'm sure you get my drift). Facilities were reasonable, TV, shower, iron, trouser press etc but again, they had obviously seen better days. It was not a great layout as the hair dryer is fixed in a cupboard so you have to stand up to dry your hair.

The room looked out over a cricket pitch and was on the first floor. It was very warm and as I opened the window, I was met by a pile of cigarette butts as people had obviously leant out of the window to smoke - not a great sight.

Not sure if there were staff shortages but it took me 3 attempts over 20 minutes to get through to room service to order my dinner. When I did eventually speak to a person, she was clearly stressed and not at all polite. To be fair though my food came quite quickly (about 20 minutes) but I was disappointed with the overall quality of the food - it was only a Panini which the menu said came with Salad, Coleslaw and Crisps. Sadly, the Coleslaw was missing and the salad was brown but the Panini was edible (just).

I planned to do some work during the evening on my laptop - most hotels offer free WIFI these days but not this one!! It was £5.99 for an hour so out of principal I decided against it.

It was quite noisy during the night, I could hear the room above, noise in the corridor, constant church bells and the toilet of the room next door.

Breakfast was quite amusing - I had put the usual card on my door handle the night before which was for a standard continental breakfast of Toast, Croissants, Pastries and then you had to select extras such as Tea/Coffee/Juice and Cereals. When my breakfast arrived on a tray, there was just fresh orange juice and coffee. I asked where everything else was and was told that he did not do Breakfast very often and did not realise that I wanted the Toast & Croissants - he had literally just brought me the added extras I had ticked. He did quickly rectify this and after 10 minutes I finally had some toast.

So overall, not a bad experience, but not great. If my employer were not footing the bill, I would have refused to pay the full amount - I have stayed in much nicer Travel lodges or Premier Inns. I like to think that usually you get what you pay for but in this case I'm sad to say that you don't.

3 Thank perfectionists
GMSolihull, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Birmingham Solihull, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.
The hotel rates do fluctuate (as with most hotels) depending on how busy we are for that6 time. We do however offer some very competitive rates during our quieter times or through advance purchase bookings.
We do have a number of very different types of rooms within the hotel and if a certain room is unsuitable we will always do our best to offer an alternative, my apologies if this was not possible on this occasion.
We do offer complimentary WIFI in public areas within the hotel.
My apologies for the room service mix up, I am pleased this was resolved and your comments have been forwarded to the relevant department.
Thank you again for the valuable feedback.

Travellers are raving about these Solihull hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012 via mobile

Rooms not clean, understaffed and not worth the money, simply never go there!

• Stayed April 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
We do have a very dedicated team of housekeeping staff who ensure all of our rooms are clean at all times. If you would like to contact me directly I would be happy to answer your concerns personally.
Anita Tarry
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Our second stay at the Ramada Solihull for 2 nights this time. Staff are all very friendly and welcoming. The hotel is clean and tidy. Lovely comfortable beds. Townhouse rooms are worth trying. Well situated for Solihull town centre within easy walking distance.
We ate at the George Restaurant in the hotel. The food was delicious, beautifully presented - the service by the staff was warm and friendly.
Breakfast selection is good and is served piping hot.
I can recommend this hotel highly.

Room Tip: Ask for a deal on the Townhouses - really spacious rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMSolihull, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Birmingham Solihull, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Thank you for your comments we look forward to welcoming you back to Ramada Solihull in the neart future.
Over Kellet, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed here whilst attending a convention in Birmingham in April. Situated at the old tudor end of Solihull high street it is in lovely picturesque surroundings, with several pubs, bars and restaurants just a stones throw away. There is also a large shopping centre literally a minutes walk away but this is almost hidden away so not to detract from the look of the place. All in all if you are travelling here on business as I was you couldnt ask for more in terms of evening entertainment.

The hotel does not have a pool but gives access to the local leisure centre to have a swim. As this is a public pool it appears to get quite busy with kids etc but as long as your aware of this it is fine.

The hotel bar was quite nice to relax in the evenings and breakfast was as expected with attentive staff. I did not eat in the restaurant so cannot comment.

The rooms themselves had tea/coffe facilities, iron/ironing board, trouser press and plenty of storage/wardrobe space. They were clean and the bathrooms were large with a decent shower. One major gripe is no free wifi which I beleive is a must in todays day and age.

All in all a decent hotel in a lovely town.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your very informative review, I am sure many guests will benefit from the information! for future reference free WIFI is available in all public areas i.e. bar,restaurant and business lounge.