“Excellent value, ideal for business travel. Free wifi.”

Village Hotel Solihull
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Solihull
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Excellent value, ideal for business travel. Free wifi.”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

This hotel cost approximately half the rate I often pay for other chains and my room was far superior to that offered by rivals. I had an ipod docking station, flat screen TV, stylishly decorated room, spacious bathroom in tip top condition with excellent shower and comfortable bed. I greatly appreciate free wifi throughout the hotel - so many chains load this cost and it always leaves me with sour taste in my mouth. Right from check-in the staff were friendly and helpful and this continued throughout my stay using the conferencing facilities the next day.

I dined in the Verve restaurant. To be fair it wasn't outstanding but it did the job. The dinner menu lacks enough healthy choices for my tastes but what came was good enough. I followed this up with a few drinks the Victory Pub and agree with another reviewer that the cleanliness, table clearing and glass collection could be sharpened up. That said, it was certainly no worse than many more expensive establishments I have stayed in.

Breakfast was interesting. There is a good selection overall but inexplicably the fresh fruit is not laid out near the cereals instead being located right next to the hotplate. Not being a great fan of cooked breakfasts I didn't venture over there and didn't see it until a colleague pointed it out later. I was therefore disappointed with dull plain cereal but am not sure I would have liked semi warm fruit anyway! Maybe this aspect of breakfast could do with a rethink or at least some signage by the cereals.

Overall I have formed a great impression of this hotel. I would very happily go back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
VILLAGEenquiries, General Manager at Village Hotel Solihull, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on our hotel on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay overall and take on board some really useful nuggets of feedback throughout your review regarding the sharpening of service in general. I share all of the Trip Advisor feedback with my team and it is fantastic to be able to use real life tangible examples of guest service experience. Thank you.

It does seem we missed a couple of points around service in the restaurant in particular, please accept my sincere apologies for these. One of those being our healthy eating calorie count menu, which it seems you would have greatly appreciated had we let you know about it and we also missed out on informing you about the chilled counter. The chilled counter is home to fruit salad, fruit compote, fresh yoghurt and granola. These items can spoil if not chilled, hence their location, and are not affected in any way by the adjacent hot counter for cooked breakfast. It's more of a case that they all require power to keep hot or cool and are therefore in a dedicated section of the restaurant. I will reiterate to my team the importance of pointing out these great breakfast options.

Once again, many thanks for your positive review. I sincerely hope we may have the opportunity to look after you again in the future. Do bring some leisure wear next time as you must try our gym, studio and spa facilities, they are the most impressive element of our hotel.

Best regards, Tony
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Stratford-upon-Avon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

only use leisure facilities, and find it annoying that they keep making special offers to outsiders, and putting up the monthly price to seniors who use the facilities off peak - there should be a price for just using the pool, and not the gym etc. some of us travel a long way to get there to meet friends and pub staff mostly are very friendly and efficient. especially John Campbell (last week) hotel is clean and very modern. parking is very good.

Room Tip: clean and efficient very modern.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
VILLAGEenquiries, General Manager at Village Hotel Solihull, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Dear Sylvia

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback on Village. I am delighted you have chosen to highlight John's quality of servce in the Pub. He really is a very passionate Village person and will greatly appreciate your comments. I will thank him personally for your kind words.

Regarding your comments on your health club membership and pricing, I would be very happy to discuss these matters in person next time you are in the club. I can assure you that new members are not afforded any special rates or discounts above and beyond those offered to existing members. Our marketing material to prospective members must sound enticing of course and I would be happy to offer any assurances over any specific deals.

Regarding your suggestion on reduced pricing for just using the pool. As you know we have a huge range of facilities for our members to use. Many just attend group excercise classes, many just use the gym, many just use the pool, some people are only members for their discounts in Starbucks, the Pub and the Verve Grill. To break these all down into different membership categories would be very confusing and impossible to police. Hence the one price bases on the time of day you want to be able to visit.

I hope that helps answer your questions and hope we can discuss them in more detail, in person soon.

Kindest regards, Tony
Yorkshire
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Stayed here on a Friday night in July as it was close to the NEC and we got a deal through Travelzoo which included dinner, B&B and a bottle of wine for £69. The room was modern and clean with views over the car park. We had a 3 course meal in the restuarant which was nice with food well cooked and hot when served to us. Pool, sauna and steam room were very quiet when we used them on Saturday morning. No complaints considering the amount paid and would consider staying again if in the area

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Aimee

Thank you for your positive review. I am so pleased to read that you had such a good time.

I hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Best regards and thanks again, Tony
uk
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I think this hotel is deserving of a 4 star instead of its 3 star rating. Experienced a truly outstanding dinner service while i was there. Stayed on a travelzoo deal which included dinner and breakfast. The waitress was very accomodating and because of our religious dietry restrictions she spoke to the chef who was willing to cook it for us seperately away from the other meat products. The rooms were also of really good quality. Much like other 4-5 star hotels I've stayed at. Have no idea why it is a 3 star but there you go.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback. I am delighted to hear you had such a good time and were so well looked after.

Regarding your star rating query. We actually don't advertise any star rating because we find the system a little outdated. We don't score any extra points for having such comprehensive leisure facilities but would lose points for not having concierge. We have to offer some guidance around a star rating to be accredited by the Tourism board, which involves random inspections and so we say 3 star. We're not overly fussy about it but we are very fussy about making sure our guests have a great experience. We hope people will be "wowed" by what they get for their money.

Many thanks once again, Tony
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2012 via mobile

Frequent business user but I've stopped. Nice rooms. Sky telly. But impersonal shampoo dispensers. Only one lift for a huge building. In house pub has gone downhill. Food in restaurant is expensive and terrible. Last straw was losing a booking so I turned up at 1030 in the evening to be told that there was no room despite me having a reservation. The gym is very popular. Tried to use it and it was mobbed. Also explains why you can't park within 100 yards of the hotel most of the time. Sorry, not my cup of yea at all.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our property.

I am so sorry to hear that you have stopped using us and would love for you to contact me to see what we can do to improve things for you. I can be contacted at tony.elvin@village-hotels.com

I note in particular some comments that I believe I may be able to offer some assistance with:

Busy gym: The gym is very popular but you rarely have to queue for any equipment. Also, all of the classes are free so why not join one of our group excercise classes over our 3 aerobics studios and let one of our fitness coaches motivate you through a work out session.

Expensive food: As you are probably aware we have two dining venues and they actually offer some fantastic deals on top of our a la carte menus. Dining before 7pm you can enjoy 3 courses for just £11.95 per person. We also have brand new menus where everything is freshly prepared and many dishes are locally sourced from our Live Local Love Local range.

Inpersonal shampoo dispensers: In our standard rooms we do have an Imperial Leather hair and body wash dispenser in the Shower / Bath and a Carex dispenser at the sink. Both are great quality products. However, for a supplement you can enjoy our new Upper Deck rooms with "pinchable" luxury toilettries, Starbucks in your room, the full Sky package including movies, Egyptian cotton linen, BOSE sound dock and access to the Upper Deck member's online club with interesting features and exclusive discounts.

I would love for you to give us another try. Hoping to hear from you.

Kindest regards, Tony