“A locals pub with good grub”

The Nottingham Arms
Ranked #6 of 79 Restaurants in Tewkesbury
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 8
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Olde World Public house offering "Pug Grub" and a friendly welcome. Top rated Pub in town.
Reviewed 6 October 2017

With time to spare and an empty stomach I set off around Tewkesbury. This is probably the least pretentious of the many pubs and hotels but felt like a locals pub. I was served instantly (I agree with David P - excellent Bunty Bach) but warned they didn't serve food till 6. At 6.05 my meal arrived. Excellent hearty fare - well cooked well presented and more than enough.
Cordon bleu it was not but that wasn't what I was after. A basic pub food menu good enough to satisfy any appetite.
Dogs are allowed in the bar area to which as a dog owner I have no objection at all. It is kinder than leaving the mutt in the car!
The ambience was friendly and they seemed to capture the right mix between a "locals pub" and a pub for passing trade. Slightly daunting as you walk through the door with all tables in bar occupied by the locals, but delightful beamed dining area. But mind your head if you are 6 foot!
If you are passing call in for a pint at least you will not be disappointed.

jgilleland2016, Owner at The Nottingham Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Hi Tom C, thanks for your kind review of the Nottingham Arms . We are the top rated pub in Tewkesbury and we serve not only the many locals who use us by choice but the many visitors who return to us every year whilst visiting Tewkesbury. We are in the Good Beer Guide for the last five years and we hold a cask marque for the way we look after our ales. We offer pub grub that fills you up without robing your hard earned cash and we try to offer a welcome to all who come though the doors as we do not survive if you do not come though our doors.This pub has been here since 1850 and hopefully will live on for many years to come. Regards John Gilleland.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Location is good - right on the High Street. Interesting Tudor frontage. Has the traditional pub dishes.

Hi WTisSearching. Thanks for your review of your time at the Nottingham Arms .Regards John Gilleland.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Went here after reading reviews on here.
We were not dissapointed!
The welcome was warm, the staff were very friendly, the beer was good and the food was very good at a reasonable price.
I had the steak and ale pie which was excellent but wish I had tried the faggots as they looked lovely.
We've never been to Tewkesbury before but hopefully will again and if we do we will certainly eat at Nottingham arms again.

Hi Flanker1967, many thanks for your review . it was great to read your comments and make sure that if you do come back you treat your self to the local faggots which are excellent with mash and my choice is garden peas with onion gravy. The selection of pies we offer is also a mouth watering decision that only you can take all are wonderful and they are always in demand by everyone that comes here . Regards John Gilleland.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

we needed a cup of coffee and had my dog with me so a lot of cafes etc were not suitable so we went into the Nottingham Arms. The service from behind the bar was perfect the coffee was great and not expensive.The bar man even gave my dog some dog biscuits. Wonderful service wondeful welcome I would recommend this place for dog lovers any time

jgilleland2016, Owner at The Nottingham Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Hi Susan S. Thanks for your kind review on your visit to the Nottingham Arms. I remember you very well and i always try hard to welcome ladies into my pub as many still view public bars as a men only environment. I am glad you enjoyed the coffee and we always love to make dogs welcome as they to remember the treats that they received and pull you though the door the next time you are in Tewkesbury. Regards to you ladies .John Gilleland.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Went in today as I was passing. Fantastic beer, wide selection including my favourite, Wye Valley Butty Bach, and good service

jgilleland2016, Owner at The Nottingham Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Hi David P,Many thanks for your kind review of your visit to the Nottingham Arms. Im glad your enjoyed the butty bach as it makes me feel better that all the work involved to keep our caske mark and membership of the good beer guide all worth while. Sorry you got lumbered with Richard but he loves to talk to any one that will listen and most people are to polite to ignore him.Hope to see again .Regards John Gilleland.