All reviews wedding venue presidential suite evening reception buffet breakfast dance floor including breakfast both occasions great shower wedding breakfast bar food stayed here for two nights plenty of parking tea and coffee facilities sat nav full english lovely grounds course meal
Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

Came to a friends wedding here. The grounds are lovely and hotel is spacious. Room was comfortable and shower was ol (but had no really cold setting - which you need in a heatwave), tv didn’t operate that well (but I didn’t require it for to long so didn’t bother me). however they went out of their way to help have the room ready a little bit earlier for me (plus I must have striked lucky and had a cooling fan). Staff were friendly during the day, and the breakfast is very good with lots of options.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2018

Dear Rich W
Thank for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your stay and attendance at your friends wedding. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your time with us. I will ensure I pass on your comments to all of the team here and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2018

Generally very good. The staff were all very friendly, bar staff went over and above to give my husband local information for his photography. Ate in the bar twice and had a good meal on both occasions, menu not massively extensive, but staff happy to mix and match which provided more options. Drinks could be taken in the bar or in the garden - pleasant to sit out on a summer evening. Breakfast provided a good choice and the room location was quiet.
Room clean - but do agree that an upgrade to aircon would have helped. We did acquire a fan from rception which made it bearable, but too noisy to sleep with it on. So it was a toss up as to whether lack of sleep was due to heat in the room or the noise from the fan.
We used it as a base and easy access to M20 / M2 and M25 meant that we easily visited Dover, Chartwell, Heaver to mention a few.

Dear dbinc
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 August 2018

Car Parking: tremendous space - and free!

Welcome: Extremely friendly

Other staff contact: Excellent both at the bar and at breakfast.

The grounds: very pleasant additional feature

My room: very comfortable, quiet and clean with really good bathroom
facilities given the price, all with extra welcome touches. No a/c (which I knew about in advance of booking) but plenty of fresh air.

Sleep quality: really excellent; no hotel noise.

Breakfast: high quality and comprehensive.

Value for Money: 10/10

An all-round really excellent experience.

Room tip: I was in a superior room
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear ducksoup11
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2018

Bit of a strange place in many ways, but it can also provide great value.

We stayed on a friday night on a very hot weekend, and were lucky to find a number of upright fans near our room for people to use as required.

The location is a bit odd, the hotel is an old manor house in the middle of a number of schools and colleges, but once within its grounds all of that disappears. It's also council owned and has been a conference center for a number of years.It has decent function facilities and I have in the past been to wedding receptions and parties here.

As for the hotel, we grabbed a real bargain and was very pleased. I had requested an upstairs room, in a quiet area, and that is what we had.

The room was a good size, very clean with a clean bathroom. Have to say the shower controls are a bit odd though...

Comfortable bed, very good breakfast and a reasonable bar make it a good stay if you can catch a bargain. You can walk into Maidstone from the hotel, but a taxi only costs £6/7 anyway.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2018

Dear mgwhu
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 July 2018

I'm quite shocked that most the reviews on here are positive - I must have ended up at a different hotel or got extremely unlucky with my room because it was anything but clean and comfortable.

Firstly, we walked into our room which was absolutely tiny. The bed looked like it had been made up in a hurry, and the duvet/sheets were all sticky and didn't feel clean at all. We noticed a big squashed insect on the ceiling and I decided i had enough already and we went back to reception to see if there was another room available (i didn't mind paying extra) unfortunately they were fully booked so we had no option but to return to our squalid room.

One of the few positives in this room was that the bed seemed quite large, we sat back on it and noticed it was very hard and uncomfortable - I later realized its because it was 2 single beds pushed together (and not very well) I mean - is that normal? to be sold a double bed room and have 2 beds just pushed together? I think thats out of order and very strange

Also, there is no air con in any of the rooms. I know its an old building but surely its in need of an upgrade if they cannot accommodate air con units. We got a dusty fan from reception which eased the humidity.

The carpet (and all the decor) was horrid, if the carpet looked clean I think I'd have been a bit happier. I'm not a hotel snob but I do expect my hotel room to be at least clean, we didnt even want to walk around without shoes on. The windows, carpet, bed and walls all needed a clean.

The bathroom was the only clean thing about the room (thankfully) however unfortunately we got a mish mash of towels (1 large towel, 2 small towels, all different kinds) again, very odd. There were 2 of us so not sure if they expected us to share towels.

Luckily we only stayed here 1 night but I did strongly consider looking for another hotel room elsewhere. It wasn't exactly a bargain either so I'm not sure how they justify charging so much for a below average room.

would NOT recommend staying here.

Room tip: dont choose any room. stay elsewhere

Dear Miki R
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you have described. I will pick up your comments with the team to ensure we put action in place. Whilst we are unable to change the physical aspects of the building we pride ourselves on providing a clean and comfortable bedroom and I am sorry it appears we did not meet these aspirations.