All reviews wedding venue presidential suite dance floor including breakfast old house buffet breakfast both occasions bar food stayed here for two nights great shower sat nav wedding breakfast tea and coffee facilities full english wedding reception function room plenty of parking
Reviewed 31 July 2018

Bit of a strange place in many ways, but it can also provide great value.

We stayed on a friday night on a very hot weekend, and were lucky to find a number of upright fans near our room for people to use as required.

The location is a bit odd, the hotel is an old manor house in the middle of a number of schools and colleges, but once within its grounds all of that disappears. It's also council owned and has been a conference center for a number of years.It has decent function facilities and I have in the past been to wedding receptions and parties here.

As for the hotel, we grabbed a real bargain and was very pleased. I had requested an upstairs room, in a quiet area, and that is what we had.

The room was a good size, very clean with a clean bathroom. Have to say the shower controls are a bit odd though...

Comfortable bed, very good breakfast and a reasonable bar make it a good stay if you can catch a bargain. You can walk into Maidstone from the hotel, but a taxi only costs £6/7 anyway.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2018

Dear mgwhu
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 July 2018

I'm quite shocked that most the reviews on here are positive - I must have ended up at a different hotel or got extremely unlucky with my room because it was anything but clean and comfortable.

Firstly, we walked into our room which was absolutely tiny. The bed looked like it had been made up in a hurry, and the duvet/sheets were all sticky and didn't feel clean at all. We noticed a big squashed insect on the ceiling and I decided i had enough already and we went back to reception to see if there was another room available (i didn't mind paying extra) unfortunately they were fully booked so we had no option but to return to our squalid room.

One of the few positives in this room was that the bed seemed quite large, we sat back on it and noticed it was very hard and uncomfortable - I later realized its because it was 2 single beds pushed together (and not very well) I mean - is that normal? to be sold a double bed room and have 2 beds just pushed together? I think thats out of order and very strange

Also, there is no air con in any of the rooms. I know its an old building but surely its in need of an upgrade if they cannot accommodate air con units. We got a dusty fan from reception which eased the humidity.

The carpet (and all the decor) was horrid, if the carpet looked clean I think I'd have been a bit happier. I'm not a hotel snob but I do expect my hotel room to be at least clean, we didnt even want to walk around without shoes on. The windows, carpet, bed and walls all needed a clean.

The bathroom was the only clean thing about the room (thankfully) however unfortunately we got a mish mash of towels (1 large towel, 2 small towels, all different kinds) again, very odd. There were 2 of us so not sure if they expected us to share towels.

Luckily we only stayed here 1 night but I did strongly consider looking for another hotel room elsewhere. It wasn't exactly a bargain either so I'm not sure how they justify charging so much for a below average room.

would NOT recommend staying here.

Room Tip: dont choose any room. stay elsewhere

Dear Miki R
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you have described. I will pick up your comments with the team to ensure we put action in place. Whilst we are unable to change the physical aspects of the building we pride ourselves on providing a clean and comfortable bedroom and I am sorry it appears we did not meet these aspirations.

Reviewed 30 July 2018

Stayed here for two nights on a voucher deal. The room was clean, and well presented, although slightly dated. The house was built in the late 1860's and went through several users before becoming a hotel. Expanded blocks provide rooms, and excellent looking large rooms for venue hire. The room itself was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was compact with a shower that worked well, although oddly we could not get the shower to go cool enough given the hot weather during our stay. The only slight niggle here is that the toggle that switched between hand and rain heads, was broken, and you could make a switch from hand to rain but could not reverse it without switching off and restarting. Given the exceptional heat when we stayed of between 35-36 degC the room would have benefitted from some form of air conditioning as well to make it more comfortable. However, the bed was comfortable, although rather on the firm side. We didn't eat at the hotel, so can't comment on that. Although we did have a couple of drinks at the bar, which was a spacious comfortable area with varied seating, incl' comy chairs. Wifi was rather weak in the room, and mobile phone reception almost non existant. For better coverage go to the bar! Reception was straighforward and easy, and all the staff we met were friendly and helpful. Tea and coffee making was available in the room, and was a big hit with real coffee in bags, not instant powder sachets.
Set in parkland, beside a school and/or colleges, overall, it is a lovely quiet setting, with no road noise whatsoever.

Room Tip: A ground floor room at the rear for quietness.

Dear Myke C
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

Stayed here for two nights for a wedding being held here. Rooms were comfortable and clean. Breakfast included both mornings. Walls are thin and neighbours were noisy but a quick loud bang on adjoining wall fixed the problem!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Dear Chrissycb1
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was please to read you enjoyed your stay and the wedding with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2018

Stayed here for a couple of nights. The hotel is situated in Oakwood Park, a large estate containing many educational establishments and a fitness centre. Drove past the place twice as the sign isn't too obvious and it's hidden behind a school and some very high hedges.

Once there we found the hotel receptionist to be efficient and helpful and she gave us all the information we needed to enjoy our stay. I had requested a ground floor room as my partner has difficulty with stairs and the room was duly provided but be warned, though it was on the ground floor it still involved negotiating some six or seven steps half way there! A wheelchair lift is provided but one has to contact the staff to enable its use!

Once in the room we found it to be well supplied with drawers and coat hangers and the beds to be comfortable and also the room to be clean. One criticism of the room is that the chambermaids don't know how to do hospital corners! The bed covers looked as if I'd done them! Despite the room being on the ground floor and there being a function in the hotel and not far from us it was quiet and we could hear nothing from the revellers all night! A good shower supplied as well but make sure you use a nonslip mat as it gets a bit slippery when it's wet!

Unfortunately my rating does drop one point because of the food. The self-serve breakfast is good with a good range of choices in the Full English Breakfast and a fair selection of cheeses and meats for the Continental Breakfast. However the advertised restaurant wasn't open and we had to eat in the bar. The menu was very limited with very little choice and the standard of the food left a bit to be desired as well. It's all very well serving liver and onions in a bowl on a wooden board but the liver needs to be more tender and not suitable for soling shoes! Unfortunately the hotel is a long way from any other eating establishments so unless you are prepared for a trip out you have to dine in.

There is a large car park with three disabled parking spaces by the front entrance. The car park has a one way system so get out one must follow signs. As the hotle is used by a lot of businesses for training and conferences we did find it hard work to get off the car park around 0930 as there was a continual stream of taxis coming in and blocking us in.

Room Tip: If you have someone who can't manage stairs then go for a first floor room as there is a lift up and then it's all on one level.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Mike W
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and will discuss your comments with the team. I am sorry that you did not find the food to your satisfaction, had you made us aware I am positive the team would have offered to replace the dish or offer an alternative.