All reviews wedding venue presidential suite dance floor including breakfast old house buffet breakfast both occasions bar food stayed here for two nights great shower sat nav wedding breakfast tea and coffee facilities full english wedding reception function room plenty of parking
Reviewed 10 July 2018

Stayed here for two nights for a wedding being held here. Rooms were comfortable and clean. Breakfast included both mornings. Walls are thin and neighbours were noisy but a quick loud bang on adjoining wall fixed the problem!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2018

Dear Chrissycb1
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was please to read you enjoyed your stay and the wedding with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2018

Stayed here for a couple of nights. The hotel is situated in Oakwood Park, a large estate containing many educational establishments and a fitness centre. Drove past the place twice as the sign isn't too obvious and it's hidden behind a school and some very high hedges.

Once there we found the hotel receptionist to be efficient and helpful and she gave us all the information we needed to enjoy our stay. I had requested a ground floor room as my partner has difficulty with stairs and the room was duly provided but be warned, though it was on the ground floor it still involved negotiating some six or seven steps half way there! A wheelchair lift is provided but one has to contact the staff to enable its use!

Once in the room we found it to be well supplied with drawers and coat hangers and the beds to be comfortable and also the room to be clean. One criticism of the room is that the chambermaids don't know how to do hospital corners! The bed covers looked as if I'd done them! Despite the room being on the ground floor and there being a function in the hotel and not far from us it was quiet and we could hear nothing from the revellers all night! A good shower supplied as well but make sure you use a nonslip mat as it gets a bit slippery when it's wet!

Unfortunately my rating does drop one point because of the food. The self-serve breakfast is good with a good range of choices in the Full English Breakfast and a fair selection of cheeses and meats for the Continental Breakfast. However the advertised restaurant wasn't open and we had to eat in the bar. The menu was very limited with very little choice and the standard of the food left a bit to be desired as well. It's all very well serving liver and onions in a bowl on a wooden board but the liver needs to be more tender and not suitable for soling shoes! Unfortunately the hotel is a long way from any other eating establishments so unless you are prepared for a trip out you have to dine in.

There is a large car park with three disabled parking spaces by the front entrance. The car park has a one way system so get out one must follow signs. As the hotle is used by a lot of businesses for training and conferences we did find it hard work to get off the car park around 0930 as there was a continual stream of taxis coming in and blocking us in.

Room Tip: If you have someone who can't manage stairs then go for a first floor room as there is a lift up and then it's all on one level.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Mike W
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and will discuss your comments with the team. I am sorry that you did not find the food to your satisfaction, had you made us aware I am positive the team would have offered to replace the dish or offer an alternative.

Reviewed 10 June 2018

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan. While the venue itself is stunning and the reception staff were very friendly...that's where it ends. I wasn't given the WiFi code at check in - it should be included in your receipts, I shouldn't have to ask for it. I mistakenly thought breakfast ended at 11 (my fault for not reading correctly). At about 20 after 10, I popped down to the breakfast room, saw no food but plenty of uncleared tables. I walked into the bar, saw people eating so I asked the woman behind the bar if I could still get breakfast. She told me no, she was sorry, it ended at 10. I assumed the people eating in the bar were just finishing up then. On my way back to my room, I stopped another staff member and asked if there was no other way of getting something to eat after breakfast had ended. She said "yes! You can order food in the bar." REALLY? I said "It would have killed the person behind the bar to TELL ME that as I stood there asking her about breakfast???" I'm asking about food, obviously I'm hungry but she couldn't be bothered to actually work. Also, there is no mini fridge in the room. You have to get water from the bathroom tap. Not a big deal really but a cold bottle of water would have been welcome.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Dear Shannon Marie L
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. I was pleased to read your welcome was a positive experience, the team ask if guests would like wifi codes as part of the check in process, so I am not sure what happened and apologise. I will pass on your feedback regarding breakfast and the bar to the food and beverage manager so we can rectify this. Again please accept my apologies.

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with my wife. The hotel is located in a rather unusual place, wedged in between a number of educational buildings. That said it is quite pleasant.
Check in was quick and easy and the receptionist very helpful.
We were disappointed to learn that the hotel doesn't exactly have a restaurant despite their website saying it does. It turns out it was just bar food.
Rooms were clean a tidy but basic. There was no hotel information booklets provided, so we actually didn't know what time breakfast was.
Breakfast was a standard self serve buffet but of good quality.
Overall our stay was pleasant, but not a hotel for a romantic night away.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear terriertownie
Thank you for taking the time to write your review followin your recent stay. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and will escalate your feedback to the team so we can take the appropriate action, as all hotel details should be in the bedrooms.

Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

A massive thank you to Shellan and her team for organising my daughters wedding. On the day Debbie, Gina and Alex and all staff working on 26 May 2018 did a fabulous job. We've travelled the U.K. 2017/2018 in 3,4 and 5 star hotels on business and I was a little apprehensive when the waiters and waitresses were very young but I was more than impressed and my doubts pushed aside as they were all more professional and helpful than some of the top hotels I have visited. The food was excellent and staff were all so helpful and willing to assist to make the day perfect which is was. If you want your wedding to be a great success then you need to visit Oakwood House Hotel - a great day had by all
Once again a massive thank you.
Davina Docherty

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family

Dear skawtti / Davina
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your daughters wedding. I was delighted to read you all had a great day and will ensure I pass on your comments to the team along with Shellen, Debbie, Gina, and Alex who you mentioned specifically. We all wish your daughter and son in law a happy future together.