“Unpleasant money-grabbing attitude”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Kent
“Unpleasant money-grabbing attitude”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

attended a conference here; I was only there for the afternoon, so can't make any comment on the accommodation. However, I was astonished to find - when almost every pub, cafe and coffee shop in the land can manage to provide it for free! - that guests and visitors have to pay to use the wifi; I found this particularly mean-spirited as I had just been charged £3.50 for a very indifferent cup of coffee whilst I waited 10 minutes or so for my colleagues.
To add insult to injury, I was charged (at Reception, the only place, it seemed, where I could buy cigarettes) £7.50 for a packet of B&H (from a very limited choice) - and then to find, after I'd paid, it was one of those vending packs containing only 16 cigarettes.
After the conference ended, 2 colleagues and I ordered some drinks (only water, nothing complicated) while we had a 30-minute debrief in the lounge area. Despite the fact that the place was by now practically desterted, the drinks never arrived.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
LeonardoGagliano, General Manager at Hilton Maidstone, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear reviewer,

I am sorry that you were not aware, however we do charge for our services.

Hotel Manger
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Stratford on Avon. England
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Clean tidy and very large room.
Perhaps a little noisy as my room faced the main road.
Shower was very powerful.
Staff were really helpful in many ways.
Made me a sandwich as I had to leave early.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: 229 is on the first floor. Very large clean and tidy. Faces the road so a bit noisy. Two double beds...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
LeonardoGagliano, General Manager at Hilton Maidstone, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Gill,

Thank you for your review and recomendation, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and would come back, I hope you do so in the not so distant future.

Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 2 March 2012

The hotel is very well situated with motorway connections close by .
On arrival the reception staff were very helpful and welcoming .
Rooms were large and comfortable .
Breakfast was very good , with a big choice of dishes both hot and cold .

Would recommend this hotel and would stay here again .

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Stevecho,

Thank you for taking the time to recomend us and share your good experience during your stay, I am pleased to read you would come back, we look forward to welcoming you again.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed here for one night and decided after not being able to get any sleep that we would have been better making the trip without the stopover!

This Hilton is not of a standard that you would expect of a Hilton since you would assume them to be of an average standard right the way through the group.

Staff were fine, Food overcooked cremated burger!
Room rather basic and not what was expected did not feel like a Hilton at all.

Pool really good and staff very helpful.

Will not stay here again

Room Tip: We had a twin room on the ground floor think you would be better on the top floor. Noise carries bad...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
LeonardoGagliano, General Manager at Hilton Maidstone, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear reviewer,
I am sorry to read that you were inconvenienced by noise during your stay. You don’t mention if you brought it to the attention of our team but I am sure they would have done something about it. Thank you for the praises to the service, cleanliness and pool, I am glad that there were aspects of your stay that you enjoyed.

Once again I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, however we do hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Hilton Maidstone, as I am confident that we can provide a good guest experience and change your perception.

New Forest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed at the hotel for the weekend on a really good deal in February. Check in was very pleasant and efficient and we were on our way very quickly. Our room had 2 queen beds and a small sofa with plenty of room to move about and so larger than average. Everything was fine but the room furnishings and decoration were a bit tired and perhaps in need of a bit of TLC. The swimming pool was fun and clean. The only meal we had breakfast which was superb with a good choice, everything looking fresh and plenty of good coffee to wash it all down. Service was very attentive. All in all, we had a great time and would us the hotel again without hesitation.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
LeonardoGagliano, General Manager at Hilton Maidstone, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear Chrisg1,
Thank you for your review, I am glad to read that you had a fulfilling guest experience. I assure you that we do constantly invest in inprovements, only last month we installed 90 new beds and mattresses, 50 new tables in the restaurant, added 4 new TV channels, restored and revived the stone flooring of the pool surroundings, that you enjoyed, as well as the gym wooden flooring.
Thank you for taking the time to elaborate on your feedback, it is especially informative as you stayed for a length of time and you are also a senior contributor of this site, which tells me that we were consistent as well as benchmarked, very appreciated!
I am glad to read you will be back, we look forward to it.
Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidstone
3.5 km away
3.4 km away
Grange Moor Hotel
Grange Moor Hotel
#12 of 15 in Maidstone

Been to Hilton Maidstone? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK