All reviews whitebait afternoon tea scones stay at this hotel again our room was spacious groupon kent
Reviewed 11 September 2018

I have just returned from a six night stay at the Larkfield Priory Hotel. Without doubt, the best of this hotel is the staff. Every member I met had a smile, a polite welcome and a helpful attitude. The hotel, however, is in urgent need of a major makeover. As you can see in the photo', my window was nearly falling apart. This made worse as it is on display right at the front of the premises. Carpets are worn and some present a trip hazard.
The food is average and the menu small. I had to wait two and a half hours to eat on Saturday without being told why. The restaurant was basically empty. I therefore did not bother on Sunday and went out for a Chinese take-away instead!
I may be the last person in Britain who smokes. Notices warn you of £250 fines for smoking inside but the smoking area is directly outside Reception! (Therefore I understand a previous comment from a non-smoker. I have no wish to inconvenience anyone.) No seating there either as we must stand if we indulge - although there is ample room for a bench.
Staff seemed to work extremely hard. The main hotel and indeed my room was cleaned with regularity and very well
I believe this is a hotel more suited to working contractors who will be out all day and simply want a bed, a bath and a good pint.
I end in a positive manner but stating again how excellent the staff are. The Manager should be proud of them all.

Room Tip: Main road in front - Garage on one side - ASK!
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
4  Thank Peter L
Reviewed 11 September 2018

Nice hotel, expensive drinks. Do not know why most hotels have to exploit you on the price of drinks? Charge less, you get more custom, hence more profit. Simple. A nice place to stay though, if you don't intend to use the bar facilities.

Stayed: August 2018
1  Thank Simon M
Reviewed 31 August 2018

Business trip, first and last stay here. Had a lovely 20 minute wait at reception and thankfully for the people behind me, she managed to check them in first because the chap in front of me sort of knew them which was nice. Room quite basic and apart from the odd smell it was all there except the ironing board doesn't have a cover which I found a bit tricky if I'm honest, probably just me. Thought I would save the tea bag and the lovely old random tea mugs and go to the bar and order coffee, figured it was probably quicker than asking. At the bar I asked if it was OK to have coffee and charge it to the room, of course was the answer so I waited. A while later it arrived, great, looked good, then I hear someone asking someone if they were 'authorised'. After a while, being a bit slow, I realise it's me being asked. I ask authorised for what? Charging coffee to your room comes the reply. Well, I still don't know the answer and I am sure the coffee was nice. Overall this is a great place to stay if you are out of luck and choices.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side of next door in the garage are probably best.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank aabroome
TheHotelManager001, General Manager at Larkfield Priory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2018

Dear aabroome,

Thank you very much for your review. I am dissapointed to learn that you had to wait 20 minutes at the front desk to check in. This is not the norm at The Larkfield Priory Hotel Speed of check in is one aspect that the hotel front office had been praised for many times on a regular basis. All our hotel rooms have amenities you would expect from a 4* hotel, on suite bathrooms ( all rooms include a bath tub with a wall mounted adjustable shower), iron ad ironing board, trouser press, hair dryer, luggage stand, tea and coffee making facility (which includes tea (PG tips), coffee sashes (Nescafe), sugar, milk also complimentary tea biscuits, porcelain mugs, stainless steel spoons) , wardrobe, bedside tables, working table, LCD TV, coffee table and chairs( doubles, twins and suites), Fresh linen provided by a leading lining company in UK, Large bath sheet per guest, and hand towels, bath mats, luxury stripy duvet covers (cost more than the plain ones), bath room amenities include branded shower gel, shampoo, soap and a disposable cup. All guest bedrooms are serviced every day. Linen changed every other day (fresh towels are offered if needed at any time), in room telephone etc. It is disappointing to learn that you found the room to be basic given the facilities and amenities provided in our hotel rooms. Not quite sure what the odd smell you have mentioned however all rooms are sprayed with air freshener on a daily basis after cleaning. Ironing board without a cover is certainly not acceptable, please accept my apologies and this matter is under investigation by the head house keeper and necessary procedures put in place to avoid similar situation in the future.

It is the hotel policy to offer the option at check in to give a guarantee( card authorisation) for incidentals(such as tea, coffee, food etc to be charged to guest bed room account). However it seem in this occasion you were not explain this at the time of check in. I have already spoken to the Front Desk Manager and necessary retraining has taken pace to avoid a similar situation in the future.

It is disappointing to earn that your experience at the Larkfiedl Priory hotel was not as you expected. However we do have business travellers like your self staying at the Larkfield Priory on a regular basis who find our hotel quite convenient and comfortable. Once again thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate and take note of constructive reviews from well travelled guests like your kind self.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

General Manage

Reviewed 27 August 2018

My sister and I visit Maidstone regularly to see relatives in the area. We usually stay in a Travelodge, but decided to treat ourselves to somewhere a little more special when we stayed last week. Unfotunately, it didn't turn out that way. We booked and paid for a twin room, which was to include LCD TV and the usual amenities. On arrival, we settled down for a relaxing evening in front of the TV to find there were only 4 obscure channels....not even the basic BBC/ITV channels. On reporting to the reception desk, we were told that nothing could be done about it. She would not even come to look, which made me think she was aware of the issue.
In addition, the room was very 'tired', badly in need of updating. The bathroom tiles had black mould. Breakfast was mediocre. No fruit/yoghurt, limited cereal choice, one juice choice, awful tea and coffee. Also, doors were slamming through the night.
We were both hugely disappointed by what appeared to be a really nice hotel according to your website, and wish we had booked the cheaper option of the Travelodge.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank SS62
TheHotelManager001, General Manager at Larkfield Priory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2018

Dear SS62,

Thank you very much for your review. It is very nice to hear that you decided to stay at The Larkfield Priory Hotel instead of your usual hotel. All our bed rooms include a LCD TV and amenities you could expect from a 4* hotel. All our hotel TVs include basic channels BBC/ITV etc and an array of free view channels in addition. We have checked all the bedrooms and no faults were found. However it is possible if wrong buttons were pressed on the remote, TV can switched on to other obscure channels. And the TV may need a restart if not a reset. It is disappointing to learn that the receptionist didn't assist you as normal. The receptionist in question was fairly new to the front office and Front Office Manager already carried out training to avoid a similar situation in the future. It is the hotel policy to resolve and rectify any issues immediately during the guest stay and please accept my apologies that a member of staff didn't attend your room to show you how to switch your TV back on to normal channels.

Cleanliness and comfort of bed rooms are very important at The Larkfield Priory. All our bedrooms under go a year around painting and decorating carried out by 2 hotel maintenance staff working on site on a daily basis. Any maintenance issues or property disrepair get rectified immediately as a matter of priority. Hotel have undergone a complete change over of beds within the last 18 months and upgrading of bedroom pillows. It would have been helpful to know exactly what is "tired" in the bed room as I am more than happy to address that immediately. However I have taken your suggestion to update bedrooms and will be looking in to ways in which we can in cooperate any updates. Also please be advised that we do have Suites and Delux rooms which has a higher spec and lot more attention to detail. All our bed rooms get cleaned every day when they are used and all the hotel bed rooms get checked on every single day by a floor supervisor. Black mould is not acceptable in any part of the hotel and I do not expect to see black mould in bathrooms as they get cleaned on a daily basis. I have already spoken to the head house keeper and inspected all bedrooms and I am glad to inform you that we could not find any bathrooms with black mould.

I am sorry to learn you were dissapointed with the breakfast choice. Larkfiled Priory Hotel mainly promote and provide English breakfast, hence a limited choice on continental breakfast. Our English breakfast consists of Cumberland sausages, bacon, fried eggs, mushrooms, grilled fresh tomatoes, baked beans, hash brown, boiled eggs(cooked for order free) , poached eggs(cooked for order free), scrambled eggs(cooked for order free), porridge(cooked for order free), Apple juice, Orange Juice, Milk, Premium quality English breakfast tea, filter coffee (expensive than usual coffee), selection of Special K serials (individual packs), white & brown bred, jams, butter, marmalade etc. Also it is a buffet and guest can eat as much as they like. Hotel have plans to improve the Continental breakfast choice in the near future. In the meantime I am more than happy to provide you with alternatives (fruit, yogurt etc) in your future stays as long as you mention this in advance.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review and It is disappointing to learn that your experience at the Larkfiedl Priory hotel was not as you expected. We appreciate and take note of constructive reviews from well travelled guests like your kind self. As you are a regular visitor to the area I like to welcome you back to the Larkfield Priory Hotel and looking forward to seeing you soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any future bookings.

General Manage

Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

Have paid for room and breakfast on card (no problems)
They wanted preauthorization for drink and food to go on room (again no problems with this).
Went to reception and I said I'm happy to give them card details and to charge me in the morning (as I don't know what I will eat or drink) but they wanted to take a sum from my card.
I said what if I don't spend that sum and she shrugged her shoulders!
Gave up and went elsewhere.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank chrisL2184UF
TheHotelManager001, General Manager at Larkfield Priory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2018

Dear ChrisL2184UF

Thank you very much for your review. It is the hotel policy to take payment for guest bedrooms upon check in and also it is the hotel policy to obtain a pre authorisation if a guest want to add anything to their room bill.

My sincere apologies that you were asked to pay upfront instead of pre authorisation. Member of staff who served you had been spoken to and retained. I a very sorry to hear that you had to go elsewhere and once again please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay. I am hoping to see you soon back in the hotel and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if needed.