See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 August 2015

My husband and I renewed our vows on the 1st August 2015. We arranged for our celebration with 80 guests at this Hotel. We obviously had our own personal colour scheme, decorations etc but was blown away with the attention to detail. The food, all home made was second to none. The staff were oustanding and attended to our every need and looked after us and our guests the whole night. Our guests are still talking about the wonderful food and what an amazing time they had.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Dave and Carol C
Reviewed 13 July 2015

Today my granddaughter, partner and me and my partner stopped off at The Lodge for Sunday lunch and WOW what a fantastic meal it was. All home cooked. Choices are lamb shank, beef or chicken. I had the beef that melted in your mouth whilst the other 3 had the lamb shanks. They were huge and very, very tasty. There were other diners in there who also stated that they go weekly because its a fabulous meal, home cooked. Other diners who'd eaten their meal stated that as well as it being 'lovely' it was huge and they were given a tub to take the rest of their meal home. We will be back next week, I urge anyone to go try the Sunday lunch. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2015

After reading some of the reviews we were worried about eating in the restaurant but we had no worries at all. I eat a gluten free diet which I had phoned ahead to ask if they do provide and was told that they had no gluten free rolls but that was ok.
We arrived about 8pm as the people we were waiting fir had been delayed by traffic and were greeted at the door by a lovely smiling girl who told us the meals were being served in the bar due to the cup final which was great for the men in our party.
A waitress came to me and went through all meal options available to me . When the meals arrived quite quickly the portions was soo big that we had to leave some food , but it was all delicious . Definitely will be returning as all staff very friendly . Well done

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank oldbean48
Reviewed 5 June 2015 via mobile

From enquiring and booking our room to leaving the staff were extremely helpful. We had the option to pay by cash on arrival, before we stayed or on leaving. We were asked what time we wanted breakfast and what we would like. We were shown to our room by the polite young lady who explained where everything was. Good night's sleep, really comfy bed. Breakfast was amazing and spot on to what we ordered. Again the same polite young lady could not do enough for us and was very efficient in clearing the tables between courses (cereal,full english, and toast). Without a doubt we would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carolwing
Reviewed 31 October 2014

My husband and I had the misfortune to attend a function at this tired dated hotel. We paid good money well in advance for a function attended by 50+. We gave our orders in advance so the hotel were informed and I expected prepared. However there was only 1 waitress who was also the barmaid which meant that the bar was closed throughout the meal(no water on the table so we all had to go without) and service was extremely slow. The first course took ages to arrive and was substandard. The second course came out in dribs and drabs and couples were eating on their own. In true British style everyone pitched in to help the poor waitress who was in tears only to be told by the extremely rude and aggressive owner to go and sit down. we left before the main course and pudding arrived having eaten only a bowl of soup in 2 and a half hours. We went to The Barley Mow to finish of the evening celebrations. We shall not be wasting any more money in this establishment and will in future be eating and drinking at The Barley Mow.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends