“Greatest bar staff ever!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
“Greatest bar staff ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Stayed in the Hilton while attending training courses for work. From arrival to checking out the service was flawless. Ate in the Pitchside Restaurant and food was superb. Bar staff (Davey Jones, Alex, Oliver, Rowena, Richard Leslie Philip Edward, Paula, Louise, Chris) were more than willing to go the extra mile and provided a fantastic nights craic in the Pitchside bar. Those folks made the experience for me and would undoubtedly do the same for you!

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Adamk3r
HotelMiltonKeynes, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Hi

Thanks for the review! Glad to hear you had a good time kicking back and relaxing in our Pitchside bar.

I will make sure to tell the team of your fantastic review!

Thanks
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

After a 3hr car journey i was extremely tired and spent alot of time trying to find the hotel as my sat nav didnt seem to like their postcode,signs on the many roundabouts would be handy. When i eventually arrived reception staff very friendly,thought it abit random to recieve a warm cookie but not complaining. Room very clean,nice size bed,tv worked with decent amount of channels. Lovely clean bathroom. Dumped my bags and went down to Pitchside restaurant,lovely helpful staff. I could have had a 3 course meal which was included in my stay but i was so tired i only had a main,although starter choices did look interesting and appetising. Chose a fillet steak which i had to cook myself at my table,not such a hardship for me as i love med/rare steak. Impressed with meal and breakfast was good too. Overall very pleased with my stay. Just a shame that when i return for second part of my training they are putting me up in a different hotel! Would defo recommend staying here.

• Stayed March 2012
Hi

Glad to hear our unique Doubletree Cookie surprised you upon check in! We are very proud of our Cookie which is celebrating its 25th year in 2012 and can be found in any of our 300 hotels worldwide on check in.

Our comfortable rooms and spacious layout seem to have also hit the spot and I its good to see you had the chance to experience our Volcanic Rocks in the restaurant. We introduced this new facility last year and have had very positive feedback on our guests being able to cook their own steaks at the table.

We hopefully will be able to welcome you back again on your next training event and once again thank you for your kind review.
Scarborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

My second visit, and since the dining experience was the thing that spoiled my stay last time, I thought it best to avoid the food and book a table elsewhere.

So much for good intentions....the friendly (but not over-friendly) receptionist informed me upon check-in that a match was playing that night, and The Pitchside Restaurant would be closed, but I could reserve a table in The Players' Suite. Being tired and unable to decide upon where else to go, and up for a challenge....I booked it.

I could go on at length and nitpick about the evening's dining, but to be succinct:

This place is "all mouth and trousers" by which I mean the menu promises much but does not deliver. Serving food on slates means it must be good, right? Er, no, no it doesn't.

I am mildly surprised to see that others think the food here is 'superb' - I can only assume that they don't get out much, and are easily impressed.

Strange flavours were the order of the evening: artificial-tasting sauces and poor execution of classic dishes. Priced at about £ 7 for the starter, £ 17 for the main and £ 5 for the pudding - that would have been fine if the food was up to it. But it wasn't, sadly.

You cannot make up for poor food with good service. And the service was good. Really pleasant people who are obviously trying hard to please, and it shows. So when they asked 'did you enjoy it?' I just didn't have the heart to tell them how awful the main was - they probably knew already. I took away the burnt taste of the over-caramelised Crème brûlée with a surprisingly acceptable espresso - which I think they went to some trouble to produce for me (took a while, so I assume the machine was warming up from a cold start) - good to end on a high note!

As with my previous stay: reception great; room great; bathroom great; air-con great - hence the three stars I've given here. Please, please, please sort out the food !!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid pitch facing rooms on match days - you won't be able to view the game (unless you've p...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Kitmania
Hi

It seems we have not delivered on our food service standards for you again. I have highlighted my concern with our Head Chef to discuss this and can only apologise for the poor food quality you experienced.

I am however delighted that our team exceeded in good service and will mention this to the Restaurant Manager.

I do greatly appreciate your comments and honesty and as mentioned will be reviewing this with the team.

Leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

I recently spent Friday/Saturday night at this hotel and was very pleased with it. We arrived about 8 pm on Friday night at the same time as 4 other guests were checking into the hotel and although there was only 1 receptionist on duty checkin was swift and professional. We stayed in room 407 which overlooks the pitch. Only thing I would say is that there are no 'opening windows' but the air conditioning worked fine although I usually like to have the windows open.

We booked a room with a kingsize bed and it was very comfortable.It was nice to have a fridge in the room and the rooms are bigger than many I have stayed in abroad.

I would say it is a 'business' hotel as there wasn't a lot of atmosphere but that was fine we were only looking for somewhere to sleep.

I would sugges that people follow the hotel instructions to find the hotel. We used the satnav and ended up coming in at the back past McDonalds and KFC and it is not clear where to park for the hotel. ( Not a problem the weekend we were there as MK Dons were not playing). The only things close to the hotel were the above ASDA and Ikea.

A short drive away is the centre of Milton Keynes with lots of places to shop and eat. We spent an enjoyable afternoon at Willen Lake. There are coffee shops, pub, ducks to feed, wake boarders to watch and places to walk.

The only negative thing I would comment on is that although breakfast was plentiful and the service very good as we didn't go to breakfast until 9 am some items had stood perhaps a bit longer than was good for them. The bacon, tomatoes and black pudding were quite dry both days. That said it was still very edible and far superior to some meals I have eaten.

The hotel offers free I newspapers during the week and the Independant on Sunday which is always a nice touch.

And don't forget the biscuit at check in - yum

I would definately recommend this hotel and if looking for a short break in the area again would book it.

Room Tip: Pitch side rooms are a novelty
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi

First and foremost thank you for your review! It seems we ticked all the boxes for you during your stay. We are planning various signage around the site, but are just waiting for some finishing touches before we can put this in place. So hopefully the next time you visit you may see some changes.

Glad to hear you enjoyed our very famous cookie too.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

This was the 2nd time id visited this hotel the first visit was faultless but this time the experience wasnt as good, we had payed extra to check out at 2pm and we checked at reception to make sure this was the case, imagine our suprise when at 10 am and again at 11:30 am we where disturbed by cleaning staff ! when I mentioned this at checkout I was told we it shouldnt have happened and was everything else ok with my stay! the bed our room also moved when u sat on it so you wasnt sure where it would stop so not sure if i would stay there again after this experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank armchair4849
HotelMiltonKeynes, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Hi

Thanks for your review. I am disappointed that we haven't delivered our customer service promise to you and that you experienced so many disturbances through your stay with us. I have raised this with our Housekeeping team and we are looking at our communication procedure between Reservations and Housekeeping to ensure that this does not happen again.

We of course would welcome the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel. Hopefully our DoubleTree cookie might tempt you back!

Many thanks