“Nice place”

Price range: US$ 13 - US$ 29
Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: The Sun Inn, situated in Dummer, South of Basingstoke, awarded 2 AA Rosette 2017. All produce is locally sourced, and food cooked fresh on the premises to order.Drinkers are catered for with a wide variety of high-quality ales, many of which are supplied by the local Triple fff Brewery.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Nice big pub/restaurant , good rustic interior,big parking, friendly service, good food, value for money

1  Thank Yordan M

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We decided to stop at this venue on the spur of the moment, on Easter Monday Lunchtime.
We were warmly welcomed and accommodated and seated immediately
Menu was pleasantly varied and offered good choices
we passed on starters and enjoyed Sirloin Steak & Medallion of pork loin both of which were extremely good -- desserts followed of Clotted cream rice & Apple Frangipane and ice cream -both were excellent!
Having not been in this local establishment, for quite a few years, it was a very pleasant experience and credit to all those involved
Most likely to visit again and can recommend others do too

3  Thank davidden50
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Our visit to this highly recommended pub/restaurant and it could not have been any better. We booked a table for 6. We arrived and were shown to our table. Instant very good impression - genuine friendliness from our waitress. A superb imaginative menu. I spotted other diners' meals and they all looked great! We ordered our main courses and we all loved everything. My choice of ribs was swayed by a previous review. Quite simply... fantastic. Certainly the best ribs I have had in England. Our waitress was superb. We were allowed time to decide what we wanted, drinks were delivered promptly. Desserts and cheeseboard were excellent too. I am so happy to have found the best pub/restaurant in Basingstoke. There are 4 or 5 very good ones, but for my family & I, The Sun Inn is our new No.1. We will certainly be returning... soon! I love to tell people about great places. . Excellent quality, quantity, staff and ambience. I am sure you will love it too.

1  Thank DJCOTTS
Reviewed 26 March 2018

Good food and at a resonable price good value. Great staff with a hapy to help good on site parking.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Came here last night with my hubby and my mum.
My mum owns her own restaurant and I wanted her to come and see how the Sun inn do it.
We have visited before and have tried to book before but always full, however we was thrilled we got a table for last night.

We was welcomed by a lovely waitress who showed us to our table in the function part (which we didn’t know was there)

We ordered two lots of bread and one curried goats cheese cone.
The bread comes with a bacon butter and a hazelnut butter, my favourite was the hazelnut one, and it was nice and soft not like some places where the butter is so hard it rips through the bread!
I have never had goats cheese before and I have to be honest and say it’s not for me but it looked so cute and presented beautifully.

We then went straight for mains.
Hubby had the ribs which is couldn’t believe how much there was , it was huge but that’s brilliant as he has a big appetite.
Gorgeous chips and he even enjoyed the coleslaw which he normal doesn’t eat.
The ribs are so meaty.
Myself and my mum had the fillet with the little cottage pie.
The meat was cooked to perfection and the mash on the little pie was nice and creamy.
The jam and the other little sauces tasted out of this world.
The only down side was for £20 I would have liked a few veggies, maybe a very runner beans or carrots.
I know you can probably buy this separately but I think for the price there could have been a few on the plate, could still have looked pretty.

Puddings .
Hubby had the chocolate pudding with the white chocolate ice cream.
It was so rich and tasted amazing.
It was a good size and had pistachios on it.
My mum had the rhubarb crumble which had very good flavours.
I went for the rice pudding which was nice and creamy and just the right amount in the blow.
I tasted all three puddings and I would order every single one of them.

Mum was on the gin with a great range of flavoured tonics.
I had whispering hills rose wine, this is my favourite rose wine.
It’s lovely and sweet.

The atmosphere at the Sun inn is so laid back and chilled and relaxing.
Music in the background , clean and very professional friendly staff (Ellie)
Our bill was around £102 which was brilliant value.
They do a stamp card which you collect and get a free main once you collect a certain amount.

All finished with the most gorgeous homemade truffles.
This are out of this world.
Top marks for the Sun inn , the staff but most of all the chef and his lovely food.

2  Thank lisadrew82