“Very comfortable, minor niggles” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Telford / Ironbridge

Holiday Inn Telford / Ironbridge
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Telford
London, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable, minor niggles”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Stayed at the Telford Holiday Inn with my family while our son attended an event at the nearby International Centre. Great location for that and only a short walk to the town centre, such as it is. Made great use of the pool and sauna/steam rooms. Friendly staff. Comfortable large rooms, with choice of firm & soft pillows on the beds. Good buffet breakfast, but was surpised that there would be an extra charge if we wanted a cappucino & also heard that a guest would be charged extra to store an item in reception/luggage room for a while - seems petty & detracts from the overall good feeling.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mattat320
ElisabethFrost, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Telford / Ironbridge, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Many thanks for your review and I'm pleased that you had a comfortable stay. Just to respond to a couple of your comments though: we don't make a charge to store guests' luggage in our luggage room, I do apologise if you were given that impression. With regard to the additional charge for cappuccino at breakfast time, this is because as a standard we provide freshly brewed coffee, tea or hot chocolate but if a guest orders any other beverage, this would come from our bar and would be charged accordingly.
I do hope these minor niggles will not deter you from staying with us again.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Bradford uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed here with several friends in the last week of November 2011 for the i44 event next door. I think we took about 10 rooms between us all, for 4 nights. Rooms were pretty average, and hotel insides look about 10-15years old. Perhaps time for a refurb? Also the whole of the hotel was roasting hot most of the time.

It had the 3 main things though: quiet, decent shower, comfy bed.

Everything else doesn't really matter when you're on a drunken weekend with friends :)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank simoncchapman
ElisabethFrost, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Telford / Ironbridge, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Many thanks for your review - I'm pleased you and your friends had a great stay.

We do have a rolling refurbishment programme which includes bedrooms, we have just recarpeted all our bedroom corridors and are in the process of completely refurbishing our accessible public toilet.
Newcastle, Staffs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I booked by telephone. When I called I was given one rate, I rang back having confirmed the price was ok with another member of my group(literally 5 minutes) and was told the rate was £80 more expensive after some negotiation and speaking to a manager I go this down to £40 extra- I am told it is like booking a flight now, minutes count. Its a pity the person who quoted the price didn't mention this 5 minutes earlier. Anyway bad start but at least they did negotiate.

Check in time is 2pm on the dot.Checkout time 12noon. Don't arrive early because you will not be allowed into your room. If the whole hotel wanted to check in at 2pm what a queue that would create.

I arrived at 1pm, slightly early due to poor weather and setting off in the hope of avoiding it. Reception did offer to save my bags, but as it was snowing and I was freezing I said I would wait to get into my room. Apparently they were waiting for some late check outs! I sat opposite the desk for the whole hour. Nobody checked out- surprise! At 2pm I asked if I could check in and was allowed to.

My room (2nd floor) was modern, clean, and looked relatively newly decorated - a nice surprise. Bath and shower over the bath- both worked well. The room faced the back of the hotel and was quiet.

The leisure facilities were ok. Swimming pool 15metres ish. Gym quite small but enough for a night. Great walk just outside the hotel around a big Lake no cars - nice for a run.

Super location: ice rink, shops, international conference centre -all walking distance. Nice big car park, with spots for disabled near to the door if required.

Nice bar and food in restaurant also quite good. Service at breakfast not as good as it should be but food again quite good.

Overall relaxing trip with a nice comfortable room. I would give it 3.5 stars as its slightly above average but I wouldn't say very good- I've given it 4 because you can't give 3.5 and I got a quiet clean room which was important to me.

Room Tip: If you get a room at the back of the hotel ask for one away from the ventilation units.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ElisabethFrost, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Telford / Ironbridge, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay and we are pleased that overall you had a relaxing trip in a comfortable, quiet and clean room. We are fortunate to be located so close to the International Centre, the shops and town park.

I'm sorry that you had some difficulties on arrival. I was pleased that the receptionist offered to store your luggage safely for you ~ the late check outs that they would have been waiting for, would not have been guests physically checking out, but a backlog of rooms to be serviced prior to the set check in time. Occasionally if a lot of guests have chosen to stay until 12 noon which they may well have done on a snowy day, it can then mean rooms needing to be cleaned in a short space of time and thus not so many rooms ready in advance of check in time. I do apologise for the disappointment caused.
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

This was our 2nd stay here while visiting museums in Ironbridge. I would rate it "good" but the "average" that goes with the 3 dots is a bit too harsh. Great value for a family, especially the lovely pool facilities. Rooms are clean and good sized, although we found the beds a bit too firm. Check in and out were both slow due to a busy weekend, but breakfast service was efficient and offered plenty of choices.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your constructive review. I'm sorry you experienced some delays at check in and check out due to the busy weekend.

We are excellently placed for getting to the wonderful museums of the Ironbridge Gorge. Don't forget its possible to get a "passport" ticket so you can come back again and again to visit sites that you missed the first time round!
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Arrived very late on a cold, Sunday night so no food and the bar was closed but the receptionist very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good and the service efficient.

However, the hotel is looking a little tired and dated and could do with a refurb. On balance I prefer the Premier Inn or Grays Inn when staying in Telford.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SteveRiley
ElisabethFrost, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Telford / Ironbridge, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Thank you very much for your review. I was pleased that you found our receptionist welcoming and that you enjoyed breakfast. We do have some food items which are available 24 hours a day on our room service menu.

We have recently refurbished more than 20 of our bedrooms, recarpeted our corridors and some walls have been painted. Our accessible toilet is currently undergoing refurbishment too. As you might imagine, it can be like "painting the Forth Bridge" but we do have a rolling refurbishment programme in place so that we are constantly upgrading and updating our building.