“Mixed feelings - want to love this place”
Review of New Delhi

New Delhi
Ranked #41 of 487 Restaurants in Swindon
Price range: US$ 13 - US$ 19
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

I like this little restaurant, as it's Indian rather than Bangladeshi. However, the service is always slow, even when not busy (although the lovely lady waitress is always apologetic).

New menu on our most recent visit, so less choice for non-meat eaters than before - very little choice of fish or prawn dishes now. However, there are still some good veg side order options available.

On every visit I've asked for my curry to be extra hot/vindaloo hot, and the chef can't manage it. Everything *always* comes out as medium heat level, regardless of whether it's supposed to be medium or whether I've asked for it vindaloo hot. Feedback to the waitress never makes a difference - although she is apologetic - so as of tonight I stopped bothering to report it.

Bhel puri is fantastic and there are lots of great Indian street food starters! Main courses unfortunately very salty (second time in 4 weeks). Karahi lamb and seafood platter both very salty (as was the Railway curry on my last visit). Dhal tarka side order is delicious though.

Not a huge choice of wines - they are listed on the menu almost as an afterthought, as simply: "Shiraz; Rioja; Merlot" (reds). We chose Shiraz and it was OK - fabulous value too.

Good value meal, but the flaws sometimes outweigh the positive points for us. I want to love this place so keep going back - hopefully I'll be able to update soon with a five-star review!

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

We visited for the first time this evening as we were passing through the area. As soon as the starters arrived we knew we'd made the right decision. They looked amazing and they tasted delicious.

We were suitably impressed, and my two friends are definite foodies, so that's saying something. The meal continued as good as it started. I had the railway curry because I fancied something a bit different - it was fantastic.

They catered for our individual spice levels, and the service was fantastic.

Highly recommended buyers by us!

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 1 May 2018

We turned up on time- there was only one other table in- a party of eight , so that made a total of 15 people in the place. It took an age even to have drinks offered, and starter orders taken- I then had to ask where mine had gotten to, as it was not delivered with the others, which came at varying different times. It was whilst we were eating our starters that the( very nice) lady came to take our mains orders. The food was mediocre at best, but it was the service that really let the place down. No amount of apologising can make up for what was a very disappointing visit. I will not return

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

From the moment I walked into the New Delhi I could tell this was a far cry from your run of the mill Indian Restaurant.

The menu is not huge - but for anybody that feels adventurous there is plenty of dishes to interest you.

I had Golgappa, to start; I had to get the waitress to explain how to eat them but I found them to be delicious, leaving a pleasant tinlgle in the mouth.

My main course was a Railway Curry, a south Indian speciality. This was offered as a mild, medium or spicy dish. I chose spicy and the flavour of the dish shone through without being overpowreed,

The prices are very reasonable, which enabled me to have the pistachio Kulchi, which was delicious. All in all a three course meal with a beer cost under £20 which I think is tremendous value.

The overiding impression that I had was that the food was really fresh - lovely fresh herbs such as corainder and mint accompanyig the dishes. The service is extremely friendly as well. I would have no hesitation in recommending the New Delhi to anybody who enjoys a curry but would like to experience something a little different.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I visited this place spur of the moment on my Birthday and it didn't disappoint!

The service was great! The waitress was so helpful and gave us lots of choices for our dietary needs. We are Vegan and often struggle to find places to eat with a large selection of choices. But the chef was more then happy to adapt dishes for us such as a Vegan style Vindaloo which was delicious! The food was fresh, fast and tasty!

Would definitely recommend for both veggies and meat eaters alike!

Thank you New Delhi for such an enjoyable evening. We certainly will be back!!

Date of visit: March 2018