“Surprisingly good hotel.....not so the food”

Holiday Inn Swindon
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Pulling into the car park the hotel looks very old and jaded. I was not expecting much better when I got in. However, check in was fast and efficient and my executive room, whilst not the biggest ever was modern, spotlessly clean and very comfortable with good furnishings. The bathroom was clean and well maintained but very small with a stupid small bath that seems to be the case in many older Holiday Inns. Dinner was a miserable affair! The chef seemed to be everywhere in the building but in the kitchen. When I checked in he was in reception, later behind the bar and spent far too much time in the restaurant during dinner. I can't help but think that if he actually spent more time in the kitchen the food could be so much better. After all, this is standard ready prepared, Holiday Inn food. He hadn't just created some culinary masterpiece and needed to parade himself about! There were complaints from many of my fellow diners in the restaurant. In the middle of dinner a coach party arrived and peace and quiet turned in to mayhem. I actually felt very sorry for the Operations Manager, who was doing a great job handling all the many complains she was getting through no fault of her own. All in all, a pleasant overnight stay but if I was to return I would avoid the food. As I am writing this in my room it's now 11.45 and I have just received a call from reception to remind me that I have to check out by 12 noon. Nothing says you have overstayed your welcome better than a phone call like that! I think I have just changed my mind about saying I would return here!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Food (dinner) was of avery poor quality and hellishly expensive for extremely small portions. Certainly not imaginitive nor inspiring. At least three person (not connected) complained about standard of food. Breakfast was below average for a Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: To rear of hotel ground floor
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Dear Champaigncharlie,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced. I was disappointed to read that you had a poor experience when you visited the restaurant, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed 6 February 2012

I stayed in the hotel for one night 5th February 2012. I am a group leisure club member and therefore I received a discounted room. The room was small, with old fittings that had definately seen better days - the bathroom, did look quite grimey, with the faded fitting a marked bath. I am unsure if this is par for the course or simply the ype of room given to those paying the discounted rate. The room above me appeared to have a leaking shower and the drip drip drip into the bath kept me awake most of the night. Charges for WiFi at £6 for one hour I felt was unreasonable and unlikely to make me wamnt to stay again. Great friendly and helpful staff though. Overall I wouldn't stay again unfortunately.

Room Tip: Dont stay in room 153
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Brian R
Reviewed 30 January 2012

All areas smell of smoke, the door didn't lock, the air con didn't work, the bathroom lights didn't work, this was enough to make me check out early.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank si_orch
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We needed somewhere to stay in Swindon for a family party. We picked this because of its price and also it's location. I had stayed there before - it was ok but on the whole quite unremarkable.
Well I am now seriously impressed! We were checked in very efficiently - I had to change one of the rooms and this was done without a quibble. Our rooms were warm and quiet. The shower was excellent - always a niggle of mine.
Breakfast (only £5 per person if booked in advance) was also very good - f they even had porridge.
What really made our stay was the staff - they ALL made us feel special.
Thank you!