“Not Happy”
Review of Patriot Arms

Patriot Arms
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swindon
Patriot Arms
Ranked #35 of 44 Swindon B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Not Happy”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We went to this pub for an evening meal, their website and menu promised great, home cooked food that was a little better than the usual pub grub you might expect.
When we got there, it was very quiet, maybe three other couples already there.
There were no menus - the food is written on the wall on a chalkboard. Bit disappointed to find that I couldn't have an alternative to chips - like jacket potato - the menu on the website said they did them. I ordered fish and chips, my partner had the duck breast with "garlic fried potatoes".
45 minutes later, our food arrived on smaller than average plates - especially for the type of premises. My fish was the usual sort of offering- certainly overcooked, as were the frozen chips it came with. My partner's duck was also overcooked, despite asking for it to be cooked medium rare. The garlic fried potatoes had no garlic in them either, but plenty of pink peppercorns which meant that was all he could taste. I would suggest that the food had been cooked by someone who was maybe covering for the chef - the boy who brought the food didn't come back and ask if it was ok, like he had done with the other customers. We ended up going to the bar to chase the bill so we could leave. The landlord, after keeping me waiting some time so he could argue with one of his regulars what bar bill they had run up so far, asked if everything was ok. I was a bit reluctant, and he said was there a problem, so I said "Well, yes actually my chips were very burnt". He said "you should have said so, we don't know unless you tell us, we're not mind readers". To be honest, I wouldn't have had the cheek to bring the plate out with food on it that was pretty obviously burnt. And the fact I left them all was another indication.
Very disappointing overall; hardly cheap either, and poor service to boot. I speak as I find, and would have been equally quick to praise had it been warranted. We will not be returning.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2009

I had a last minute business trip to Wiltshire and my normal hotel was fully booked, thus decided to stay close to my appointment early in the morning and not in Swindon at a better hotel.

This is an average size pub/B&B in a small village about 7 miles from the centre of Swindon, mainly frequented by locals, many in their teens.

The room I had was small and lacked character but was clean, unfortunately the racket from the pub continued until way past midnight long after closing time and kept me awake.

The in room breakfast was probably the worst moment of my 12 hour stay and could only be described as inedible.

It has some merits as a pub if your in your teens/early 20's but I would not recommend anybody to stay for the B&B.

Had a nice wooden boat playground in the garden which would interest families during the day.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank monkeyspyder

Travellers are raving about these Swindon hotels