“Bank holiday treat”

Alter Rock Climbing Centre
Ranked #9 of 31 Fun & Games in Derby
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

What a wonderful afternoon we spent here with children ageing from 1 to 22. We had someone to show us how to improve our climbing and encourage the younger ones to try everything. Anita was fabulous patient and kind. We really couldn't fault any of the staff. Great place to visit. Will certainly be back thank you all at alter rock

All reviews
"venue"
in 4 reviews
"member"

Reviewed 24 October 2017

Starting coming here in February on a whim looking for a hobby and way of keeping fit. Have been hooked ever since.

Being set in a church the place has a unique atmosphere and sets it apart from some of the more 'clinical' climbing centres I've seen since. Most of all the staff are great, always finding the time to provide advice and assistance, especially during quieter times when they will regularly shout up help and encouragement when your struggling.

Overall, if you're looking to get into climbing choose this place.

Reviewed 24 October 2017

None of our family (inc 3 kids at 5,7 &9) have any climbing experience.
However, this had no impact whatsoever in our enjoyment of the afternoon.

We did the parent-child combo whereby the parents take responsibility for their children climbing by remaining on the ground and having responsibility for their children ascending up the walls. You're taught the simple and effective knots you need to know and how to give out the rope and let them down.

You don't need to be experienced to do this- it is simple, and the incredibly patient staff (take a bow, Gary) are constantly moving about checking everything is safe. I say patient, as I lost count how many times it took me to master the figure of 8 knots they use but he showed me again and again how to do it without any hint of frustration.

Our kids very quickly found the confidence to clamber to the very top of the climbing walls (the top ones being a good 3 storeys high) and we had the confidence in our ability to control their descent for them to be up there.

They have a bouldering section with soft mats underneath which our kids went on but the main event was definitely clambering up the high ones.

Including hire of harnesses, helmets and clips it still worked out at a very reasonable £30 and there was no time pressure at all- you have as long as you want. I heard Gary telling another parent whose offspring had had enough very quickly they were free to come back any point that day to have another go.

There's also a chance to explore their 'cave' system with head torches, but we didn't try that today.

The only thing I'd suggest is to tidy up the outside of the church a bit- it looks a bit abandoned from the outside and it gives the wrong image.

We went there as a half term rainy day experiment, but if we lived near Derby we'd be regular visitors.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

A first time visit I was intrigued a climbing centre in a church ? Never been to a climb centre before I'm so glad I did it was fantastic experience I was taken care of from the word go nothing was to much trouble when questions were asked I felt at ease and totally safe the staff here are totally committed to give any first time climber the confidence to achieve what at first looks impossible a great day out