The Bijou
Ranked #5 of 83 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 March 2012

The hotel is easy to find on the main Ripon Road - it has a small car park.
We checked in and were given details on breakfast, the use of the lounge and the night entrance.

The room was clean, freshly smelling and nicely decorated. Tea making facilities , quality biscuits, toffee & jelly tots . There were no drawers for clothes. The ensuite shower room was very small with a step up to the toilet, the shower and sink were also small. I do understand the hotel is called "The Bijou" .

I guess I am used to sleeping in pitch black and no noise as I live in the sticks. The blinds did let light in and the road was a little noisy.

Breakfast offered lots of choice.
I had the home made fruit compote which was delicious and the scrambled egg and smoked salmon. My husband had muesli and the full Yorkshire breakfast.

One point of concern was that when I looked at the mixed seeds and nut container the best before date was 2009 !! The granola container was best before 2008 !! I only checked as they did look like they had been there a long time. I avoided !

A cheap stay at £80 for the two of us and in a convenient location.
You are left to your own devices so I cannot comment on the service.
It was not luxurious, but good value and bijou as the name states.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SMH13
JaneHarrogate, Owner at The Bijou, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Thank you to this guest for her comments. I really felt I had to explain the "out of date" granola and seeds. We clean out and and refill the containers at least once a week - there is no way that the granola and seeds in them have been there since 2008! If the guest had mentioned to us we could have explained. We have now started new containers to avoid this misunderstanding happening again. Apologies for this mix up.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

We stayed at the Bijou for 3 nights in February. The location is excellent, being only a few minutes walk into the centre of Harrogate, and there is parking on site. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The B&B itself has a lovely atmosphere with tasteful, slightly quirky, decor in the communal areas and a lot of nice personal touches within the room itself. The room was very clean and tidy and everything was in good order. For a small establishment, the choices offered at breakfast were excellent and all hot items were well cooked and well presented.

Room Tip: The B&B is located on a busy main road. However, the front of house attic room that we stayed i...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Geordie_Gibber
Reviewed 25 February 2012

After redingote TA reports, i was prepared to find good style and good quality. My surprise was that was even better than expected.....lady at reception was very kind . The place has great style and all commodities.wifi is free and available in the room. Bed was big and confortable .i requested 7.30 breakfast and they were happy to anticipate for me. Very good breakfast as well. I cannot say nothing on the price as well. 55 b&B is very affordable. Once in HARROGATE I will be back for sure!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank VANBREDA
JaneHarrogate, Owner at The Bijou, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2012

Thank you to this guest for his kind review. I would like to mention that he stayed in Room3! (see review below).

Reviewed 19 February 2012

This was the second time we had stayed here and the rooms are not particularly large but they have everything you need - with some lovely little touches like sweets and bath robes. The breakfast is lovely and there is a nice lounge area with free wifi and a laptop if you need it. The service was made even better for me by the fact that when I left I forgot my dress and they kindly posted it back to me for free. Great value for money too and walking distance from very good restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My wife and I live close to Harrogate but I treated her to a night away when attending a concert recently. Having read the reviews I was confident in booking the Bijou and looked forward to a warm welcome and stay. On a positive note, The Bijou is located in a great location, just a few minutes walk from the Harrogate International Centre and some fantastic restaurants. Sadly, I am unable to be overly positive about the other aspects. Upon arrival, we were greeted with a cursory welcome from the man of the house (who didn't introduce himself). He gave us a key, described breakfast times and then walked us to the bottom of the stairs and pointed us in the direction of our room. I would have expected to be shown to our room in such a highly accredited establishment.
When we found the room, we were disappointed to find just a double bed having booked a kingsize room via laterooms. We decided to stick with it though as we were keen not to make a scene and spoil the atmosphere. The room was compact, had a bedside clock with iPod dock for those who require it, good catering facilities including tea pot, but the overall decor was mediocre and it also had a significant amount of mould on the window wall. The bed also had a memory foam mattress which I understand some people like, but which left us both struggling to sleep for most of the night. When I mentioned it to the owner the next morning, who did not introduce herself either, she did acknowledge you either love it or hate it (which left me wondering why they keep it if some guests really don't like it). Sadly, we fell into the latter group. The public toilet next to the room had nice soap and pictures on the wall, but an old-fashioned peach-coloured suite. To end on a positive note, and in the interests of a balanced review, the breakfast was superb; good quality and very well presented by friendly staff who work for the owners. It was unfortunately not enough to make up for the stay overall. I can only recommend that you look elsewhere before choosing this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 3
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank J F
JaneHarrogate, Owner at The Bijou, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

I am very sorry that this guest found aspects of his stay to be disappointing. if I could just reply as follows;-
We do not introduce ourselves in a formal manner but that does not mean we do not welcome our guests correctly and professionally. All guests are shown the breakfast room, told breakfast times, shown the lounge, told about wi-fi, shown the honesty bar and given key instructions. We then take them to the bottom of the stairs and point out the night entrance. If they have heavy luggage we offer to carry this to the room, otherwise we point them in the right direction of their room. We take all guests to our Coach House bedrooms.
Regarding the memory foam mattress I would not have said "you either love it or hate it". I can honestly say I have not had any guests prior to this who have said they "hate it". We only have tempur mattresses in 2 rooms.
Room 3 is a lovely, light room and I can say unquestionably it has a kingsize bed. It can be seen on our web-site.
The "mould" is not mould but a little condensation which was very small and builds up quickly and wipes off easily. I apologise we missed it when checking but it is right in the corner behind the blind and is difficult to see.
I do hope future guests will not be put off room 3. Many guests have stayed in this room and the feedback has always been very positive when we ask on checkout.