“Happy Pear......got there at last !”

The Happy Pear , Greystones
Ranked #4 of 68 Restaurants in Wicklow
Price range: US$ 3 - US$ 12
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 October 2017

Got to visit the Happy Pear at last...loved the quaintness of it ....loved the retail shop next door ....the food in the cafe is soo good and tasty , great buns and good coffee . I imagine it must get very busy on a sunny day but I suppose lots of outside tables to take up the slack .
The retail side of the cafe really impressed me .Everything there to allow you to make the recipes in the cook books which are all so nicely displayed too.Lots of hints through the store regarding the recipes and the products which was very helpful.
Got a free soup with a certain value purchased in the shop which was a nice touch too.
Will definitely be back . Staff very friendly too

H_Mangan1, Customer service at The Happy Pear , Greystones, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

Hi Jackie ,

Thanks a million , we are over the moon to see that you enjoyed the cafe and food selection but also or little shop to , we want everyone to feel like cooking doesn't have to be difficult and we are happy to see are little tips have helped you out , hopefully you will be cooking up a storm in the kitchen .

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

We've been visiting the Happy Pear every weekend for three years now and still thoroughly enjoy the food for the most part, the porridge and avo toasties are our go-to on lazy Sunday mornings, but there are a number of issues starting to creep into the way things are done there. The tables are ALWAYS sticky - please please have one of your numerous staff bring a damp cloth around when them when clearing the tables as there is nothing as off-putting as sitting down and putting your hand on someone else's cold spilled porridge. In addition I always feel a bit uncomfortable when I'm being served in the cafe by a staff member who is having a conversation with someone else over my shoulder - I know you foster a friendly atmosphere in the cafe but it doesn't lend itself to shy customers like myself, and I've worked in both retail and the service industry - you should focus only on your current customer at all times. This happens A LOT. Sadly during my most recent visit I was skipped in the queue in a rather ignorant fashion by a member of the proprietors family, who then proceeded to complain under her breath about the young guy who was fixing her food (he was clearly new and taking time to prepare everything perfectly). I found it off-putting and entitled and won't be in a hurry back for a good while now as a result.

3  Thank floppybear
Reviewed 9 October 2017

I cannot deny that it is a smooth well respected organisation and can fully see why there are queues out of the door as it is unique. We deliberately went a long way out of our way to try the food as the reputation is so good. I had a Hungarian goulash and my partner the lentil dahl along with a piece of lemon poppyseed cake. I think our problem was that we could only buy off appearance as we are a bit clueless about the technicalities of this cuisine.. So full marks for being so popular which speaks for itself and in all honesty I cannot criticise what we ate. I had rice offered with the goulash but whatever the rice grain was it was more like barley to me. Big disadvantage was that seating other than outside was not enough for the trade level and was a bit on edge half way through as the clouds rolled in.We regret that we wouldnt go again as despite being obviously good it didnt suit us personally. However everyone should give it a go if in Greystones

Reviewed 23 September 2017

Have the cook book, was interested to see how the food would be at source. Delicious lunch and reasonably priced. The restaurant is a warren of rooms in an old Greystones terrace house, absolutely charming. I had the mixed veg lasagne, very tasty and satisfying.

H_Mangan1, Customer Service at The Happy Pear , Greystones, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Hi Antomayo,

we are happy to hear that you were not disappointed when you visited the cafe , hope to have you backsoon to try a few other items on our menu .

Reviewed 20 September 2017

The combination of items are unmatched. Lasagne so rich I did not miss the meat. Beet and spinach salad the best I have had. Sweet potato soup could be a meal by itself. Long lines to get in the buffet line are a testament to the quality. Very friendly and helpful staff.

H_Mangan1, Customer service at The Happy Pear , Greystones, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Hi Eileen,

So happy to hear that you enjoyed you meal whne you visited us , I will pass your lovely comments and to our chef and cafe staff .