“Wouldn't Recommend This Hotel”
Review of Fitzwilton Hotel

Fitzwilton Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Dublin, Ireland
“Wouldn't Recommend This Hotel”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We were booked in as a Hen Party, and when we arrived at the hotel, I thought the staff could have been nicer. We were given no information about the hotel e.g. times for breakfast. The hotel is advertised as "Waterford's only 4* Hotel".
From my experience with hotels, a hotel couldn't be advertised as a 4* unless it had a gym, swimming pool or spa on site, or have an agreement with a local pool/gym/spa. On there booking.com page, they have pictures of a woman receiving a hot stone massage, which would lead one to believe that this was available...which it wasn't!!

The rooms were clean, but I assumed when I booked a triple room it would be 3 single beds, but it was a double bed & a single bed. It was just aswell I knew the people well that I was sharing with, as I had to share a bed...

The dinner that was included in our package was diabolical, the main course resembled a starter, and none of us ate the food.

The Reception staff weren't the nicest of people, except for Kimberley who was very pleasant when I asked her for extra keys (we were given 1 key between 3 of us :( )

Breakfast was ok, but if you wanted anything other than cold scrambled egg, you had to wait about 10 minutes to get your poached/fried egg.

So I certainly will never be returning to The Fitzwilton Hotel

6 Thank Jaclyn B
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Hi Jaclyn,

thank you for taking the time to write. I am sorry to see you did not enjoy your stay with us. If I may correct you in saying that we are actually affiliated with a local leisure club and you do not need to have one on site to be a 4* Property. I appreciate you notifying me of the image on booking.com as we did previously have a salon at the property and I will remove this immediatley.
Your colleague actually booked twin rooms for three people per room in order to keep the cost down - this was requested by your booker specifically and not the fault of the hotel.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your dining experience. I have checked with our restaurant manager and she did advise me that your group had mentioned the menu did not suit you prior to ordering.
I also apologise for the delay you may have experienced at breakfast time.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write to us.

Kindest Regards,

Geoff Dawson
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 24 April 2012

we stayed on the 20-4-12 till 22-04-12 in this hotel, sry but its not 4 star more like 2, room were ok but tiolet lock was broke which was not good when ur sharing with friends.. and as for staff some were so rude, think the only one staff member that was nice to us was bar man, food was awful steak was like a mallet ,fish still slipping around on plate,chicken ok and as for veg nd pototoes god hard as a rock, 300 euro for a tripple .... never again... dont stay here....

4 Thank Bernadette H
jeffd2009, Director of Sales at Fitzwilton Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Thank you for your comments. I have replied to all of your colleagues on all the other posts also. I sincerely doubt your fish was still slipping around on the plate - and when you ask for a steak very very well done, it will tend to be slightly tougher on the pallette. I also appreciate the fact that you went to the effort to remove items from your dinner plate and place them on a clean plate to make it look like it had just been served, very creative indeed.

Thank you and your colleagues for your continuous attempts to damage our reputation. Strange how we served 148 guests meals on the night you dined with us and we have had 21 complaints in total which was your entire group.

GD

Travellers are raving about these Waterford hotels

Dublin
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Myself my Girlfriend and our baby stayed in this hotel last year. The hotel is nice in my opinion room we had was a nice size and the food was good ( even if the steak was tough as nails /cheap cut). We got what we though was a deal for the weekend / TV3 deal. When we turned up we had to pay for parking as the parking space was very limited and full. This was not clearly stated or stated at all when booking. The lady as the desk told us everyone complains about the parking !! We discovered after returning from a walk one saturday at our luggage had been rummaged through. Upon inspection nothing appeared missing and just passed it off that cleaning staff must have moved it etc when cleaning the room. Upon our depature from the hotel we noticed that our GPS was missing which we had with us when we booked in. I called the hotel but they were interested nothing they could do we would have to call the Gardas. We didn't bother as they wouldn't be able to do anything anyway. Needless to say what we though was a deal for a weekend break turned out to be very expensive in the end.

Room Tip: Don't get one at the back near the noisy bins
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Handlemaster
Hi,

thank you for taking the time to write. I am delighted to see you were happy with your room and also the food. We do clearly state at time of booking that free parking is available but is limited at peak times and other options are available. I think you will agree, that free parking in general is very rare for a city centre hotel so we are very happy that we can provide our guests with this service as best we can. I am sorry to hear about your GPS - This is the first I have heard of this and as you can imagine there is very little I can do now. I have to agree that calling the guards would have been the best solution however you should never have to experience a loss of property like this whilst staying at a hotel.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and thank you once more for taking the time to write us albeit 8 months after your stay..

Geoff Dawson
Reviewed 23 April 2012

we stayed in this hotel for 2 nights after the easter hols got a great deal for 2 adlts 2 kids great hotel great atmosfear in the hotel food was magic the staff very welcoming met all we asked waterford main town 10 mins walk tramore 20 mns by car or taxi good fun for the day i will defo stay here on my next visit to waterford city lots of tourists staying here great mix of people to chat to this hotel is doing something right mick edel dublin..

Room Tip: all rooms good but get the room service
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
dublin
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed on the 20th till the 22nd of April 2012 in room 119. They say this hotel is a 4 star hotel more like a 2 star. Rooms where ok at first glance but noticed we did not have a long mirror, that is not good when we where trying to get our self's ready to head out , worse was to come that night the bed i was sleeping in had a big hole with no support for the mattress i have never had such an uncomfortable and painful night which i am still suffering from, i reported it to reception the next day and they did replace the bed but that was it! no refund was offered for my sleepless and painful night not even to change rooms. We went for a deal 2 nights with 2 B&B 1Dinner (do not go for this deal). Breakfast was ok but the dinner menu was limited and the food was tasteless. Out of my group of 21 not one of us could eat the food, we did complain to the server and nothing was done about it, in one word food was AWFUL.

Room Tip: well room 119 has a new bed now
4 Thank shar2
Hi,

thank you for taking the time to write us. I am very dissappointed to hear about the issue with your bed. This would have been resolved for you as was, immediatley and we would have greatly appreciated if you had notified us as soon as you discovered the problem. I apologise for the inconvenience of your poor nights sleep. As I explained to your colleague in one of the earlier posts here - I understand the choices on our quiet extensive dinner menu I have to say were not to your groups liking as we had no other complaints about the quality of the food over the weekend in question. I feel it is harsh that you state in capitals that the food was awful, when you stated during your stay that it would not be your kind of menu - there is a big difference I feel you would have to agree.

All in all, I am sorry you and your colleagues did not enjoy your stay at The Fitzwilton Hotel.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write.