“A beautiful house, a beautiful garden, we will...”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of woodlandsong

The front of our house. from the raised flower bed.
The back of the house and one of the two lawns taken from the bridge Views into the centre of the garden from the boardwalk
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
The front of our house. from the raised flower bed.
The back of the house and one of the two lawns taken from the bridge
Views into the centre of the garden from the boardwalk
Our stream house cabin which has exterior lighting, a deck and a fire pit for selaxing.
Looking down the stream from one of the wooden bridges.
A view of the dining area part of the downstairs living space. there is another lounge upstairs also
The ensuite bedroom.  We have two other bathrooms both with showers one with a bath.
The upstairs sitting room is a lovley place to relax.
The hand built wooden doors and stairway with local stone walls in the entrance area
The house was designed to face the sun and get the most light possible.
The Kitchen has all the appliances and limestone flagstones woth south facing views.
The kitchen windows face directly south onto the back garden and the mountains.
The handmade doors, internal stone walls and pot belllied stove in the kitchen.
The pot belied stove and living room to rear.
The kitchen like all the downstairs rooms has a wooden ceiling to give a cosy warm feel.
The main open fire in the living toom. Guests can burn turf, peat briquettes and wood.
This deck is down by the stream and has an open fire pit  and sensor you can extend you eveni
Part of the 200metre boardwalk that meanders through the trees. This is all underlit at night.
The stream hut has a fire pit for you to enjoy and is lit up at night.
Part of the stream walk with sympathetic planting.
The raised deck at the end of the boardwalk looks out onto the mountains.
Part of the subtle sensor night garden which our guests really appreciate.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Spanish first
Any
Kasia A
Geneva, Switzerland
“A beautiful house, a beautiful garden, we will come back!”
Reviewed 1 September 2014 for a stay in August 2014

A quick note to share how much we appreciated our stay in Woodland song. We stayed there for 2 days, at the end of our 2 weeks holidays before going back to Geneva. What a perfect quiet and peaceful way of ending our holidays. Because it was short, we did not do much but rest in the house and garden. There are so much already to do, pick a book and a CD from the shelf and read with nice music in the background in front of the fire place, discover inside out the absolutely beautiful garden, go through all the notes and recommendations that Michael left for visits, walks, etc.. which we will definitely use next time we come back! Thanks a lot

16 Sep 2014
Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review. We are delighted you had a good time and that you enjoyed the peace and quiet. We enjoy going there to slow down also.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014 for a stay in August 2014

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
31 Aug 2014
Many thanks for taking the trouble to submit a review. We are delighted that you had a good time and that the house and gardens were right for this special family reunion. The Golden Retriever is called Bertie. He lives up the road and is friendly but is not aware when he is not welcome. I will forward your comments to his owner. Hope to see you again some time. Michael
ernestoxf...
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great place to get away from it all”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 for a stay in April 2014

Lovely house with wonderful garden.We stayed for 4 days after a few days in Dublin.A complete contrast.As a city enthusiast it took me a while to get used to the silence and the absence of wifi.I cannot remember when I spent so long with no electronic distractions.
However there are numerous compensations with great walks and authentic Irish pubs in Tullamore.
Michael the owner was really helpful in advance of our visit and the house is well stocked with information.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
27 Aug 2014
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We have had a few people mention wifi at this point so will explore installing it in the future.
Antonio19...
Livorno, Italy
“Very good experience”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 for a stay in August 2014

The house is very nice and comfortable.
It's perfectly integrated in the surrouding country with a wonderful garden.
The only remarks is about the missing of an internet connection with a very low mobile signal that sometime doesn't allow to use the data download.
We spent there one week being 8 people with enough space for all of us.
For sure this can be a place to be considered for an Holiday in Ireland!

27 Aug 2014
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We are particularly pleased that you feel the house sits in the landscape and the garden well. When we built the house and the garden 16 years ago that was what we wanted to achieve - to get the right fit and feel with the environment. Regards.
Tomaddi
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Awful experience. Offensive owner. Bat infestation.”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 for a stay in July 2014
people found this review helpful

I booked this house after looking at many options, for 3 professional couples who wanted to get away from the stress of everyday life back home and to celebrate my birthday.

Before you read this review, I would encourage you to note the many reviews I have done of hotels and restaurants around the world. I am not prone to ranting but this is an unfortunate exception.

Read all the way through to find out about the bat infestation and the unfounded and offensive allegations made to us 2 weeks after departure! If it hadn't happened to me I'd probably find it amusing.

The first issue arose after booking online through www.woodlandsong.com. Several days later I had a voicemail from it's owner, Michael, saying there had been a problem with the payment and that I had 48 hours to pay or the house would be rented by others. I checked my paypal and bank accounts and both confirmed payment had been made. I phoned Michael back to tell him this and he accused me of running a scam!! He did not believe me that payment had been made. I expressed my offence at his accusation and then started to worry who I had given my money to if he was saying he hadn't received it. I'm not quite sure what sort of scam he thought I could be running when the only details I had about him was his email address for paypal!! Several hours later I had a further voicemail from him advising that there had apparently been an issue at paypal's end and that he had in fact received the payment. I spoke to Paypal and they advised there was no issue at their end and it must have been his error. Anyhow, Michael apologised and although it had been a stressful and unpleasant experience, I (perhaps naively) gave him the benefit of the doubt and looked forward to our break away.

On arrival we were disappointed. The house itself was not overly clean, with rugs clearly not having been vacuumed for sometime and a general damp smell in the master bedroom from the en suite. Anyhow, we were there to spend time with friends and relax so we looked on the bright side - the setting was lovely. Rather than narrate for days, here is a list of the issues we encountered during our stay:

1. Barely any shower pressure in any of the showers. Not the end of the world but worth knowing.
2. The sensory garden so well promoted on the website (and the main reason we booked this place) did not work so after dark, the gardens are unusable. Also making this property not as advertised.
3. The beds have only a sheet on top of the mattress, there is no mattress protector, making it very unhygienic. I've never stayed anywhere before that had a sheet on bare mattress.
4. The property advertises that it is suitable for a maximum of 8 people. There is no way 8 adults could comfortably stay here. The two seating areas in the house only have 4 seats in them (one is upstairs and one downstairs) so even 6 of us struggled to be comfortable of an evening. There are 2 double beds downstairs and two singles (a twin room). However, the last bed, a double, is part of the open plan upstairs with no privacy and is a bed on the floor, with the hardest mattress I have ever felt and certainly not practical for most people. If we had been a party of 8, 2 would have been very uncomfortable. I would not recommend this property for more than 4 people (not that i would recommend it at all).
5. Most of the wood that constitutes the walkway around the garden is rotten or rotting, making it unsafe and again not as described. Additionally the gardens were overgrown which made some of it barely accessible.
6. Ongoing from the last point, we were awoken one morning by someone sawing tree branches in the gardens one morning, which went on all day. We were not advised this was going to happen.
7. The second double bedroom has a broken wardrobe door. No big deal but bizarrely you have to open the wardrobe to turn on the light switch which is accessed through a cut out bit in the side of the wardrobe!! Very inconvenient when the wardrobe door falls off every time.
8. One of our couple found some dirty underwear down the side of their bed. Delightful.
9. We found mouse poo in the utility room cuboards.
10. One of our guests found mouse / bat poo in her bed.
11. On arrival we thought there was a mouse infestation due to the amount of mouse poo on the windowsill (inside and out) in the upstairs lounge, as well as that coming through a vent in the ceiling. Additionally we could hear squeaking all day long upstairs and in the bedrooms on that side of the house. See the attached photo of that! One evening we had left a window open upstairs when bats flew in!! When we tried to let them out we were overwhelmed with bats flying above the window and into the roof space. We then realised it wasn't mouse poo but bat poo in the house!!! We spent some time removing bats from the house that evening and had to keep the windows closed from then on. This was not only never explained to us but represents a real hygiene problem. Bat poo can be very bad for people with chest complaints particularly and we had been sleeping in a house infested with it!

After a stressful experience with booking, the house itself was far from making up for it. We left a day early as we couldn't handle it anymore.

On return I emailed the owner, Michael, about the issues and he responded well, apologising and saying they had had a bat problem last year and that he thought it had been sorted out. Also admitting that they have problems with the lights whenever water gets into one of the many connections in the garden. I think he should be making guests aware that the lights may not work for their visit. We were given a 75 euro refund, about 10% of the total cost. However, had we known about the problems with the bats and lights we would not have booked here in the first place.

But the real icing on the cake was that 2 weeks after returning, I got an email from Michael saying that after the cleaners went to the house (several days after we left I might add) we had clearly had a party and vomited (and worse was implied) all over their house, leaving 12 carrier bags full of bottles for him to recycle and a pungent smell of vomit. He accused us of leaving early due to this illness rather than issues in the house, basically said we had lied about our reasons for leaving and (implied) that we were a bunch of drunken louts. As mentioned before, my many previous tripadvisor reviews - do we look like this kind of people?? Hmmmm.

On arrival we found loads of empty bottles stashed behind the shed and vomit in the bushes so can only assume that it is regularly used as a party garden (we had just assumed this was from previous guests at the time). However, as the owners leave a key in the back garden, right next to the door - it's not a huge leap to think on occasion people go in. Clearly on this occasion they had a big party and puked everywhere.

When I read Michael's accusations by email I was horrified and angered that he jumped straight to the conclusion that we would have left his house in this state and then had the cheek to contact him and raise the issues we had about the bats and the lights. Really? We would be hoping never to hear from him if we'd left the house in that state. Given that it took him 2 weeks to contact us about this I have to wonder just how long the house was left empty with the key by the back door before the cleaners actually went there. Michael's own email to me said that they didn't have anyone booked in after we left.

It shouldn't need stated but just to be clear, we did NOT leave 12 bags of empty bottles in the house as accused, vomit anywhere in the house as accused, soil blankets and towels as accused, leave the house in any state of mess as accused. If the house was found in this state some days after we left, wouldn't at least be nice to be asked what state we left the house in, rather than to be accused of this?

To finish, the house was not as advertised, unhygienic and impractical for more than 4 and it's owner rude, accusatory and offensive. I will never stay here again and I will encourage anyone I speak to who is considering rental in mid Ireland not to go here.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Leaving
Liked least: The owner's attitude.
Travelling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
19 Aug 2014
I am sorry that you had such a disappointing stay which is in sharp contrast to other peoples' experiences. We are currently addressing the bat issue which is unfortunately an uncontrollable aspect of rural life. It would have been helpful to give a balanced view if you mentioned that I returned over 60% of the fee in the light of your concerns.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing