Book In Advance

from US$ 345.76
More Info
from US$ 835.58
More Info
All reviews high crosses shannon river guided tour video presentation celtic crosses small museum ancient monastery short video visitor center well worth a visit rich history coffee shop on site off the beaten path rainy day entrance fee great stop
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I knew Clonmacnoise from calendars of my childhood and I imagined it as a serene quiet place. It still is fairly quiet but now, with a visitor centre which is of minor interest, there is an entry charge which is the same as the entry charge for the Alhambra in Granada (which I had visited the previous month). Basically, at Clonmacnoise you are paying to enter an old graveyard with a few walls from an ancient monastery. Because of the visitor centre and the car park the sense of tranquility I sensed from the calendar pictures was completely gone. I felt ripped off.

Date of experience: July 2011
4  Thank Philipat24
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We got there about 3pm, no coach groups in sight, just a few visitors. Listened to an informative and fun guided tour (great fun) and wandered around by ourselves on a gloriously sunny day. The site is situtated just by the Shannon RIver and watching the few boats and the several swans float by was just so peaceful. Talked to a fellow visitor who was a fireman on duty when Pope John Paul visited. His visit was supposed to be a secret, only 30 000 people turned up :) Clonmacnoise is a remarkable place, spiritual in feel, and well worth a visit.

Date of experience: July 2011
Reviewed 4 May 2011

While I understand that alot of work goes into preserving this site I was disappointed having finally reached it that I had to pay €6 per adult to have a quick, unguided walk around the ground.

The ruins are beautiful, there's no doubt about that but everything else was grossly underwhelming.The coffee shop was overpriced and grubby, which is a common feature of attractions like this unfortunately. What I couldnt believe however was how tortuously boring the short film explaining the site was. Clonmacnoise was the stuff of exciting legends from everyones primary school days - kings, cheiftans, viking, monks, miracles....yet the film was excruciating?!! If you go - dont bother with the video and just enjoy the ruins!

Date of experience: May 2011
1  Thank ConstantTraveller21
Reviewed 13 January 2011

Clonmacnoise Monastery is one of those places I would have never expected to love that much. I visited Ireland mainly for Dublin, and when our host at the B&B suggested we went on a day trip to Offaly to see Clonmacnoise, I was a lil doubtful.

All my doubts vanished when I faced the majestic and massive beauty of this site. I was speechless. If you want to be brought back in time and find yourself in a dreamy-like place, do not hesitate to visit this beautiful historical site.

Due to the very rainy weather we have found in Ireland in April, I strongly suggest to visit Clonmacnoise in the Summer! (But try your luck and don't miss this beauty, all year round!)

Date of experience: April 2010
Reviewed 6 October 2010

This was the second attraction in Ireland experienced by myself, my sister, my daughter, and my neice. Guinness in Dublin had been our first. The O'Brien Clan from Indiana, was finally walking in the land of our old folks, who had fled Counties, Roscommon, Kerry and Galway, in the late 1860's. The site of this ruined, but once major Monestary of Ireland, with the Celtic High Crosses, the River Shannon in the background, the remains of a Norman castle, and cows grazing in green fields around it was "Post-card perfect, Ireland.

2  Thank IrishTripper2010