“New friends made in the pub”
Review of Darby O'Gills - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Darby O'Gills
Cuisines: Irish
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I made an unscheduled visit to Drogheda for the last two nights of my three weeks in Ireland. I wanted to be close to Dublin for my flight back to the States on Christmas Eve afternoon. I found it on the map and headed there from Enniskillon on the 22nd.
What a nice city! Found a perfect B&B and started walking, exploring, talking to local folks. Went into a pub on that street where the Laurence Centre is located and started chatting with the barkeeper who introduced me to a local artist, Mike, who in turn invited me to meet him and a friend over at Darby O'Gillis. There was traditional music, good drink, and a lively holiday atmosphere. About 11:00 an anemic Santa came in and one of his elves grabbed a guitar and went crazy! No, he didn't hurt anyone. But it was a riot!
The kitchn was closed so I came back the next morning (with a slight hangover) for breakfast. It was rather tasty.
Made new friends, had good drinks and food, and felt at home. What else can you say? Great establishment.

3  Thank Traveler_jd59

Reviewed 21 November 2012

Lovely pub. Really freindly owner and gave us tips on where to go for the night and where not to go!! Cheers....

Reviewed 10 October 2012

This pub is located very closely to a fresh fish shop. While traveling Ireland for a month, this theory that your fish & chips will be amazing from a pub next door to a fish market had worked everytime!! The fish was decadently delicious!! I had the cod and my husband had the smoked haddock, it was wonderful. There is a choice of chips or wedges, we tried the wedges - they were crisp and lovely with salt and malt vinegar. This place from my understanding is new to town, or has a new owner, not sure but it was definately one of my top 3 lunches during my month in Ireland!! Prices for lunch were great, had to pay with cash - they do not have their credit card machine hooked up yet. Service was by far the most welcoming pub, its cozy, and the irish music playing on the stereo was a great touch!!

1  Thank TRAVEL_LOVER96
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Customers and staff were awful. Load, obnoxious pub with very little recommend at all. Not somewhere I'd be back to.

4  Thank JonBStout
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Dark wood interior, low key tunes playing in the background and a friendly bar staff make this the perfect pub. I was traveling solo and had a couple glasses of wine while reading a book - thoroughly enjoyed myself.