“Disappointing”
Review of Fifty4 Seafood Bar

Fifty4 Seafood Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Fifty4 Seafood Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 131 Restaurants in Drogheda
Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

I heard good things about this restaurant, so we tried it one Saturday. I was not impressed. My fish burger was made with smoked fish, which was not stated on the menu. The chips were shop bought frozen and were dry. And the Asian soy dressing did not go with the smoked fish. The hubby got fish and chips and you could tell the fish had been frozen and was missing that wedge of lemon! Just the usual fish on the menu: hake, cod, salmon, prawns. I expected more from a seafood restaurant attached to a fishmongers.

Reviewed 25 September 2018 via mobile

Yum. Best fish and chips ive ever had. Clean. Friendly. Fresh. Great menu. Will be looking forward to eating here next visit.

Reviewed 2 September 2018

I'd highly recommend this place to anyone who loves seafood. The food is simple, but done very well, and I'll be going back again and again. The decor is clean, modern, and tastefully done. The atmosphere is very relaxed and easy going. The food is filling, but not greasy or oily.

The service is efficient and adequate. Prices are not over the top. The wine selection was a let-down, and I would have preferred a much better white wine with my lunch, than the insepid house wine served, but that didn't dampen the experience.

All-in-all, wonderful and mouthwatering food in a casual and easy going environment.

Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

Fish restaurant places like this just make me sing. Aside from great food here this restaurant is a lesson to anyone who wants to go into the hospitality industry to easily learn how to get it right.

Start, as they have, with top notch, fresh ingredients. Next cook the very best ingredients simply, and with passion. I could see the other happy diners receive their dishes and the food just looked so delicious.

Be sure you complement the key ingredients on the plate with the supporting cast for instance I had Dublin bay prawns pil pil (€11).

These are the best cold water prawns and they are just top notch; as warm water prawns don’t ever come close in taste. This place served them up with finely sliced fresh red chilli (green chilli wouldn’t pair as well) and a garlicky oil that delivered a delicious spice kick with a tangy after-burn mouth feel.

The spicy balance was just right and what I really liked here too was their judicious use of garlic oil. I’ve had prawns pil pil in places where the prawns were over-cooked to dry, hard lumps swimming in copious vivid bright red pimento peppery oil.

Here they served me up two types of bread - one seeded & lightly toasted that I used to dip into the chilli garlic oil so giving me a bit of crunch and light, wonderful wheaten bread that I heavily buttered with salted butter and a side salad.

My wife opted for their seafood chowder which was crammed with fish and delicious. She also got the delightful wheaten bread. We are so used to ‘white’ potato based chowder - it was tomato based here so viva la difference.

We also had very good cappuccinos (€3) and these came with a little home-made shortbread on the side and this too was a really nice touch.

Service was friendly but not overbearing. I’ve two observations; the raw sliced red onion with the salad on my plate was acrid and as a result it clashed with the other tastes.

This is easily resolved though - just soak the fresh sliced onion in cold water (or vinegar) for 10 minutes - or if you want to be posh instead soak them in lime or lemon juice for 10 minutes.

The second observation: I didn’t notice sea salt on the table, but perhaps it was there and I we were too engaged in my dining experience.

In short this place is wonderful and well worth finding even if you are only passing by this town.

2  Thank Newryoneisback
Reviewed 23 July 2018 via mobile

Had lunch twice in Fifty4 recently. Had fish on both occasions and it was delicious. The salmon and hake dishes were cooked to perfection and served with lovely accompaniments. Portions are generous and prices competitive. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Do pop in next door to the fabulous fish shop.