“Brilliant, informative and fun!! A great way to start your stay in Kilkenny.”

Kilkenny City Tours
Ranked #4 of 12 Tours in Kilkenny
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Kilkenny City Tours - Black and Amber road train is a unique way to view Kilkenny City - Aboard thetrain, passengers can view 15 of Kilkenny's historic buildings.While onboard you will receive a full comentary, giving a historical and fascinating insight into the history of Kilkenny.Tours are 25 minutes long and depart every hour on the hour from 10am-6pm.Ticket Price:Adults - 7 euro.Students/ Seniors / Children - 5 euro.
Los Angeles
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Brilliant, informative and fun!! A great way to start your stay in Kilkenny.”
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Out of all the tours we took on a recent visit to the medieval city of Kilkenny the City Road Train tour was by far the best and most enjoyable. We were able to become familiar with all the sights and landmarks in a short period of time allowing us to return later and focus on our favorites, definitely a tour geared to those visiting and new to the city.

The tour started right outside the castle and took us just over 30 minutes, thoughtfully executed, you could really see the passion that the tour hosts had for the area. After taking this tour I can say that the intimacy of the experience and the locations visited inspired us to stay an extra day to explore the area further.

The kids in our group loved driving along the roads in the custom built 'Black & Amber' train and have not stopped talking about it to their friends ever since, looking for similar experiences in other towns which we were unable to find.

The Kilkenny City 'Black & Amber' Train Tour, the things we learned, sights we saw and people we met will be sure to have lots of resonance for the rest of our days in Ireland. Most highly recommended!

Visited July 2011
2 Thank colbertf
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Kilkenny, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“A Tour to beat all Tours”
Reviewed 7 August 2011

If you visit Kilkenny City, you will have missed out on the best attraction if you don't take the Kilkenny City Tours Train journey through the town. As someone who moved to Kilkenny 10 yrs ago, I thought I knew all there was to know, but this tour taught me so much more AND was so much fun also. I brought the boys and after the tour, they wanted to go again. The Driver, Shane, was very friendly and gave a great service. It is a must for visitors to Kilkenny BUT should not be missed by all locals too, whether as a family day out or a group outing. Don't miss this train !!!!!

Dublin
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Kilkenny, the Medieval capital of Ireland”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I visited Kilkenny City with 3 friends from abroad early in July with Tour Operators Wild Rover Tours. We explored the City, Kilkenny Castle and gardens and St Canice's Cathedral among other attractions. Everything about the city was "Olde Worlde". We had a pint of Guinness in one of the old fashioned pubs in one of the many side streets and a meal in the restaurant of Kilkenny Castle. I might add the pint seemed to taste better than any other I have ever tasted! The whole atmosphere of the city was upbeat , a far cry from the "gloom and doom" of Dublin, the capital of Ireland. Business in the city was brisk and the weather was fantastic. We had 3 hours to spend in Kilikenny, but could have spent many more hours there. It was a great day and one my friends and I will remember for a long time.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank Brendan3
Kilkenny, Ireland
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Good for kids!”
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Good experience for kids.As a local I thought it went a bit fast to give a quality tour of the city but if snippets of info are what you want then great.walking tours are available in kk anyway so you get the best of both worlds.don't put your kids on the outside though as he takes the bumps very fast!

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very interesting and really good fun”
Reviewed 9 July 2011

The tour bus was great, I found out loads about the history of Kilkenny. Tour buses can often be boring but this one was very interesting, the selection of places and the information they give you was obviously very well thought out and I came away feeling that I had actually learnt stuff. It was also really good fun, the driver and tour guide were very friendly.

Visited May 2011