“great location and leisure centre”

Kilkenny River Court Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Singapore, Singapore
“great location and leisure centre”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Its a great looking hotel in a great location by the river with a castle view in the centre of town. Our room was a good size, breakfast was one of the best we have had on our road trip and the leisure centre was one of the best I've seen. They have an option for budget rooms as well.

3 Thank tooktheredpill
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The best thing about this hotel is it's location. YOu're in the centre of Kilkenny-so no taxis and no need to drive. You can see the castle from the patio. Lovely food. I was pregnant when I stayed here, it was our last trip before baby arrived. Initially we were placed in a room that was a little noisy, being toward the front of the hotel, when I asked if we could be moved the staff upgraded us to the Marquess of Ormonde Suite, at no extra charge. It really made a good wknd fantastic and we were very grateful to the thoughtful and considerate staff.
Would highly recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ClaireGalway30
NJ
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Stayed here for a night while traveling in Ireland. It was well-located on the river right across from Kilkenny Castle and right near the shops and pubs. It was extremely clean, very well-decorated, and breakfast was delicious. Would highly recommend it.

2 Thank NjHyper
ireland
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Stayed here for a wedding over a weekend. The hotel is central and has a great outdoor space overlooking Kilkenny Castle and the River Nore.
The staff were fantastic and couldn't have been more helpful.
The food was good and suitable to all palates.
Drink (alcohol) is expensive, cocktails are €8 each but Matt the Millers bar right across the road offers much better deals especially if your sticking around for a weekend.
The bed in this hotel was just so comfortable and I had the best night's sleep.
The bedroom was tired as was the bathroom, with paint chipping off walls and doors and furniture and the enamel on the bath had lifted in many areas. The fittings on handles were missing in many cases in the bathroom and exposed rusty nails and screws.
The view from the window was non existent, in that it was over looked by other rooms and since we could see straight into others rooms we kept our curtains closed more often than not.
The heat in the bedroom was too much but the windows could barely be opened. Luckily I found a fan in the wardrobe though noisy it did make the room cooler but noisy whilst we tried to sleep.
The hotel offered little in the line of shampoo and conditioner so be warned and bring your own. I had to wait several hours for towels (needed as I got soaked in a downpour), I was told by staff that they ran out but the hotel does provide them so don't worry about bringing your own.
I asked for directions out of the hotel as I had driven in and parked in the hotel car park and was directed to walk back under the arch I had driven under, as it was raining I had to walk through a puddle of several inches of water and only later found myself steps up from the outdoor seating area at the bar.
The hotel car park is not free and there is a daily charge which is rather annoying when you consider the cost of the rooms.
We didn't get to use the leisure facilities so I can't review same.

Breakfast is served 8am to 10am. Breakfast is over ridiculously early considering check out is 12pm and when people are having late nights due to weddings etc this is really too early, 10.30am or 11am would be more reasonable. There is a surcharge of €6 per person if you choose to have the breakfast delivered to your room.

Would I stay here again, Yes I would thanks to the most comfortable bed and staff. I wouldn't spend €200 a night to stay here though, it's really not of that standard in my opinion.

Annoyingly the cards for access to the bedroom were so frustrating. They wouldn't work half the time and the staff blamed this on the card being near a mobile phone, credit card etc etc. I have stayed at lots of hotels with card access and never had such issues, on nearly every visit to the bedroom I had to return to reception to get the card reset. The card system certainly needs to be reviewed and cards which are not so sensitive.

Room Tip: We were in Room 106, this room was ok, quiet except for the noise of the fan as we tried to stay coo...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Stayed with my husband and two daughters (aged 4 and nearly 2) for one night. What an amazing experience. Our family room was huge and we could see the top of the castle and the church from it!! two single beds and a double bed - very comfortable. The staff in the hotel and bar were so friendly and were so nice to the children.
The pool and jacuzzi area were great too - very clean. We asked reception for bathrobes and slippers and they were delivered up immediately.
The highlight of the stay was the wonderful breakfast in the stunning location just looking out at the beautiful castle!! The food was superb, tea piping hot and as much toast provided as you wanted, very promptly.
The staff friendliness, the ambience of the hotel and its magical setting, and its close location close to everything was just fantastic. I have stayed in many hotels and this is my favourite and such good value. Stayed the night before at the number 1 Trip Advisor hotel but there is no comparison, this is the number 1 hotel in Kilkenny!!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms have the best views but family room 237 has a pretty good view too!!
1 Thank AllyMcP8