New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Springhill Court Conference, Leisure & Spa Hotel

Springhill Court Conference, Leisure & Spa Hotel
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Dublin, Ireland
“WARNING! - Avoid this filthy dump”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2009

We booked a family room for 2 adults and 2 children for 2 nights B&B and 1 dinner. We had stayed here previously in 2007.
I have to say that the place has gone severely downhill.
We checked in dealing with pleasant reception staff, thats where the niceness ended!
The room was dreary and had a musty smell.
The net curtains on the windows were a grey colour. the armchair had a white milk-like stain on it.
The door handle was coming loose with a sharp edge.
The window had black mildew at the edges.
The bathroom tap was broken
The toilet seat was broken and stained.
The light over the sink was cracked.
There were cobwebs hanging from the ceiling.

I said nothing to my wife about any of this and we headed into town for a few hours. Later we went to the bar. The bar is okay but needs a renovation.
I went to use the gents toilets at about 8.30 pm and I was met with the stench of urine. The place was absolutley filthy. There was tissues on the floor. Crisp packets on the floor and soggy bear mats around the sink. There was a puddle of urine under each urinal and the floor was stained from urine.
I looked at the cleaning schedule to find it was last cleaned at 07.30 am ( Approx 13 hours ago)
So I went to the reception to notify the staff. ( assuming it would be sorted)

I visited the toilets again at 10.20 pm to discover to my horror that the place was not cleaned. I went back to reception and asked for the manager. The night manager accompanied me to the toilets. His reaction said it all - He put his hand over his nose and mouth because of the smell.
He apoligised and said it would be cleaned straight away.

I went back to the bar to see the the barman go to the toilets with a spray and cloth from behind the bar to clean the toilets. - That was the last straw!

At 0800 am I checked out of the dump after complaining to the general manager . He did not charge for the nights stay in fairness but I would expect that.
We checked into the River Court Hotel in central Kilkenny - A spotless pleasure.
See the pics for yourself.
If you like living in smelly filth then go ahead! your choice. But what are the kitchens like?

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Polish first
wicklow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2009

Myself & my boyfriend stayed here for valentines. We loved everything about it, we wernt expecting anything much because of the price but we were very suprised!!!!
The food was gorgeous & the leisure center is brilliant! The rooms are modern & comfortable & the staff were lovely! it was noisy because there was a wedding on but that cant be helped & we didn't mind! It was just a short taxi ride away from the center. We really enjoyed the weekend & we would definitley stay there again.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amcnc10
ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

My last break was Christmas and with all the pressure in work from this "recession" I decided to hell with it i need a break!! I stayed in a brennan hotel at christmas & had such a lovely experience i said i would try this one too. From the first time I called to make my booking right to when we checked out the staff were brilliant so friendly & professional. The leisure centre was lovely my daughter had a ball in the pool I had 1 meal included in the package and it was way more than I had expected absoutley delicious. My daughter was free of charge for B&B and she spent hours at the kids club (also free) which gave me time to chill and have a facial!! I hd such a great time in their other hotel at christmas I was unsure if this one would live up to my expections but although we only stayed 2 nights it surpassed all of them. I am not sure if we will afford the sun holiday this year but I can see a few more short breaks in my future and will def try the other hotels in this chain.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2008

Myself and my partner have just returned from a weekend in this Hotel. After reading a lot of the reviews I was worried that it was going to be way below average. When we checked in, the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. No bad attitudes at all! The Restaurant staff were absolutely lovely, very efficient and the food was gorgeous. I asked about a vegetarian option as there was none on the menu and it was no problem, the chef made me up a lovely vegetable pasta. The leisure facility was great and very clean except for the showering area which could do with revamping. The bedroom was nice,clean enough,the only problem was the windows were quite old. Overall our stay was very enjoyable. We would go back again.

• Liked — Food and Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Walkway to bedrooms,carpet quite old and showers in spa,need updating.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
meath
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2008

booked an autumn weekend which consisted of 2 night b&b & 1 evening meal for 350 euro per couple sharing. The evening meal was pre-prepared & same menu as debs in next room- nothing special also shared the dining room with scottish team of 50-loud. kept awake until 3am with music of debs- no room noise insulation & windows single glazed so noise was extreme outside due to smokers outside hotel doors. Small bedroom & small bathroom. Next morning spoke with reception as i was going to leave if there was another function scheduled for Sat nite. Sunday morning woken up by doors banging along the corridor at 6am & someone phoned our room at 8.30am by mistake. Also breakfast is finished serving at 10am
Not the ideal relaxing weekend i had in mind- perhaps would have been better off in a b&b

Stayed October 2008

Travellers are raving about these Kilkenny hotels