“Great location with free parking space”
Review of Hibernian House

Hibernian House
Ranked #64 of 74 Kilkenny B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stayed here one night on our way to Killarney from Dublin. We rent a car upon arrival in Dublin - we wanted to have flexible schedule (sort of like road trip) for the last half of our trip so we made no reservation for accommodations in prior to coming here. Found out that finding parking space was not easy (driving wasn't easy either... we live in The U.S.) and that really narrowed our options of where we stay. Parking space became our first priority and that was not expected. Luckily we found this B&B that has a free gated parking in the back. The location was great. It was literally a minute walk to Kilkenny Castle and there are restaurants and shops in walking distance. The host was very nice and we enjoyed chatting with her. (We learned a lot about politics in Ireland.) However... I was not very impressed with our room. The building itself seems old and so are the bedding, carpet, furniture, and everything else. They were not dirty but it may be time to change them. Since we had been pretty lucky with our stay so far, I was a little disappointed. (That's why I didn't take any pictures.) Bathroom seems renovated so it was fine. WiFi did not work in our room so we had to come downstairs to sitting room? (where the reception desk is) to use internet. I think our room was next to a bar or something I could hear people laughing and talking at night. Breakfast was OK.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zee1angel
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

We booked into the self catering accomodation based on the photos on the berkeley house website http://www.berkeleyhousekilkenny.com/self-catering-accommodation.asp for a group of 5 girls in their early 30s.
There was no issue with the booking and on arrival we went to Berkeley House B&B to check in where we paid €500 cash in advance for the accomodation.
We were brought across the road to the house which was located down a lane off the main street and had a padlock on the front door. The approach to the house was very off putting especially when we met a group of young lads who were obviously staying in the house next to us.
On going into the house our first impression was not good especially given the difference in standard from what we expected from website and what we got.
The main issue was downstairs in the sitting room where everything was extremely worn looking and of a very poor standard with huge stains on the couch. Upstairs the bathroom was of a very basic standard. The bedrooms were basic but seemed fine with lots of single beds but there was no heat on and given it was 10pm on a friday night in January this seemed a bit mean!
We decided we were not happy to stay here as we did not feel safe and did not look forward to the prospect of chilling out in the appalling sitting room. We went back across to Berkeley House to ask to be moved somewhere else or for a refund. Trish was not there so we spoke to her by phone. She is easily the rudest and least helpful person I have ever dealt with and refused to even discuss the possibility of a full or partial refund even though we clearly told her that we were not happy with the standard of the accomodation and felt that the property had been misrepresented by the photos on her website. She was adament that it was an accurate portrayal even though only one of the photos was of that house and it is of a bedroom with 2 beds. The sitting rooms in her photos look modern, clean and comfortable - a far cry from what we were given!
After much discussion and no compromise on her part we had no option but to leave and we checked into the hibernian hotel across the road for the same price as the house would have cost us each for weekend (€100) which was fantastic.
The next morning we returned the keys and met Trish in person and her customer service leaves a lot to desired!
This is my first time posting a review on tripadvisor but I felt so strongly that we had been ripped off by having to pay in advance for something and then not being able to get a refund when the product was not up to standard. When we said that if we had seen the premises before paying that we would not have taken it, Trish told us that we would have had to pay anyway and that she would have taken it off my card. To me this seems completely unreasonable as if you are not happy with something you should not have to pay for it.
I have put up photos too so people planning to stay here can see the difference between what is advertised and what the reality is!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
21  Thank greys1234
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I honestly only have one real gripe about this B & B but it totally deprived me of a good night's sleep...and that is ... the crooked floor in our bedroom. It was obvious from the second I entered the room that the bed was sloping downwards at the foot end of the bed. Although the owners obviously really cannot be blamed for the building practices of Georgian builders all those years ago, a simple fix would be to take a little off the legs of the bed/beds at the head end ... SIMPLES!!!
Apart from that, things were ok ... nothing to get excited about. Television was TINY. At 80 Euro per night, you would think that they might be able to afford a TV that's slightly larger. I failed to see the tea/coffee making facilities in our room. Also, I wouldn't exactly class the room as having been warm, even though we weren't there on a particularly cold night AND, I think the heating was on for most, if not all, of the night. All in all, quite ordinary. Great location though.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My wife and I and our two sons aged 23 and 19 stayed here for 1 night as part of an 8 week holiday through Europe, UK and Ireland. As we were only here for 1 night and the purpose of visiting was to see Kilkenny castle, this hotel was in a perfect location, across the road from the castle and with free car parking, so we were able to arrive one afternoon and leave the car in the hotel car park whilst we explored Kilkenny until we were ready to leave.

On arrival into Kilkenny finding the hotel was reasonably easy however then finding the car park was more challenging as it is not clearly signposted. The hotel itself is lovely, we had a very large family room for all four of us to sleep in, with own private bathroom and shower. The room was well furnished and very comfortable. Wifi access in the room often was problematic just due to signal strength (although this tended to be a common issue during our travels) however it was easy enough to sit in the hotel foyer and access the internet from there with a very strong internet connection. Breakfast in the morning was a fully cooked breakfast and was very nice.

The staff were lovely, very friendly and hospitable, and able to provide excellent advice on local attractions. Location, as discussed above is perfect, there is nothing better then walking out of the hotel going around the corner and seeing the impressive Kilkenny Castle right in front of you.

In summary I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank PR1958
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I stayed here for two nights. It was in a great location. I found the room comfortable and clean.It is an older room, but perfect for a great sleep. The host was very helpful and friendly and looked up a bus timetable for me. Also, let me know where I had to walk to. I also had a lovely breakfast and a nice chat with the person making my breakfast - plenty of food. I had to leave very early the next morning and the host offered to leave some breakfast for me.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo